Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Colorado and recently got a golden retriever puppy. We got him at 8 weeks Old from a breeder. He is now 12 weeks old. He has been vet checked twice and was told he looked great. So far he has been a crazy puppy lots of energy but did show some prize possession aggression( that鈥檚 what the trainer called it) and then today my daughter went to pick him to take him out of the room, (they were having a snack at the table and he was trying to get their food)
and he Growled at her and bit her. She has two little marks on her hand but nothing bad. I鈥檓 wondering if this is normal? I have never had a golden before but my dogs in the past have never done this! It was a little worrisome. I did contact our trainer but wanted to post on here too. Any thoughts or advice?? Thank you 馃槉

Registered
bumping up. I haven't dealt with this but maybe the puppy should be put in his crate with a toy before/while food is being served and never fed snacks from the table.

Registered
Food guarding is common in most breeds of dogs. Not common to Golden's, but I have seen it in many dogs over the years.

I have had 7 Golden's over the years and never had one with this tendency. I think the comment above is a good place to start, kennel the dog when someone is eating and NEVER feed the dog snacks. Secondarily, I would never allow anyone in the area when the dog is eating, especially kids. Although, my wife and I commonly go into the room where we feed our dogs and pick up their bowls while they are eating and then set them back down. As they again begin to feed, we put our finger in their bowl and stir the food a bit, talking to them calmly. We have done that since day one, when we brought them home. That is to avoid food guarding....

I think you could try this, but be very slow and careful. If the pup, will not let you do it! Stop, as you may make him worse. But, if you can in time work up to it very slowly, showing him you will not steal his food, you may be able to train him to not be so aggressive with his food.

Good Luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your response, I will definitely try your advice. The trainer comes Thursday I am anxious to see what she says about his behavior.

Registered
Nacho, 5 months, Golden Retriever
I have a Golden who has food guarding especially with his bones and Dentastix chew stick. I try to make him remain calm first before giving him either of these. Once he has them he becomes quite possessive and gets really worried even if I walk close to him. Initially, he used to growl if I went nearby and sometimes show his teeth as well, but this started to reduce when I brought his excitement lower, made him wait and stayed near him.
My trainer advises me to possibly remove the bone or food and give it back again to inculcate trust that I will give back his special foods. I've managed this a couple of times and I would suggest you try the same as well. This behaviour needs to be managed as early as possible as gets into aggressive behaviour if not well managed. All the best!

Registered
Thank you all for your response, I will definitely try your advice. The trainer comes Thursday I am anxious to see what she says about his behavior.
Glad you have a trainer involved, that will give you the best opportunity to work with this issue and your dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Golden who has food guarding especially with his bones and Dentastix chew stick. I try to make him remain calm first before giving him either of these. Once he has them he becomes quite possessive and gets really worried even if I walk close to him. Initially, he used to growl if I went nearby and sometimes show his teeth as well, but this started to reduce when I brought his excitement lower, made him wait and stayed near him.
My trainer advises me to possibly remove the bone or food and give it back again to inculcate trust that I will give back his special foods. I've managed this a couple of times and I would suggest you try the same as well. This behaviour needs to be managed as early as possible as gets into aggressive behaviour if not well managed. All the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I have took away food bowl and gave it back I have also done it with his bones. He did fine with that. The strange thing with him is that it鈥檚 not always food and it鈥檚 is random. Really it鈥檚 whatever he decides he really wants at that moment. He has done it to all of us but he seems to do it more to my 5 and 8 year old. I now never leave the kids alone with him. Its hard because he can be so sweet but when he finds something he wants you have to approach carefully. I thought by getting a golden I was getting a great family dog for all of us, well that did not work as planed. I鈥檓 very emotional exhausted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts