Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had to put my family dog Echo to sleep :(

Echo was 12 and had a great life with my mom. We got her when I was 14 from the Lions Foundation in Canada - she was a "flunk out", but their loss was our gain! She has been - literally - my mother's shadow for the past 11 years.

Echo lived and breathed for my mom. When she goes on business trips, Echo's depression started the moment the luggage came out of the closet. While my mom was gone, Echo would park herself on the couch in the front room and stare out the window for my mom. We would of course try to engage her and get her to enjoy our company, but after a few minutes, it would be back to the couch to wait for my mom.

When our other dog Madison died about 1.5 years ago, my mom couldn't bear the thought of leaving Echo alone after having lost her best friend. So she began bringing Echo to work with her every day. Echo quickly became the most popular girl in the building. She spent her days just sleeping under my mom's desk.

Just recently, Echo's back end started giving out a bit so my mom had to stop bringing her to work. She was having trouble jumping in and out of my mom's truck... and then the "Vestibular syndrome" as the vet named it began. For about 3 weeks Echo had a tilted head and could barely walk unassisted. She was not in pain though, and her tail never once stopped wagging.

This past weekend we thought she had beaten it, and she was walking normally for the first time in weeks and even going up and down the stairs. My step dad left for a golf trip the week prior and when he returned Echo gave him the greatest greeting in the world. We all spent a lot of time at my mom's house this past week and Echo seemed to soak up all of our attention more than usual. We thought that she was finally "better" - but we now realize she was just saying her goodbyes.

On Monday, my sister stopped by my mom's house to let Echo out for a pee and immediately called my mom home from work, as Echo could not walk, even assisted. They called me and I left work... We got Echo comfy on her bed and could tell that she wasn't going to get up again. We called the vet and he came to our house yesterday at 1 to put her to sleep.

Echo was surrounded by everyone she loved and went very peacefully. Us kids are all grown and out on our own with our own pets, but obviously she still held a very special place in our hearts. What breaks our hearts though, is seeing our mother so distraught. Echo really was her heart dog, and I know so many on here have lost their heart dogs and can offer my mom kind words and advice. I will send her this link as I know she will benefit from hearing the stories of others.

Here are a few pictures of Echo (or, Schmecks as we called her :)):

All the pups begging for treats. They barely ever got any, if you can't tell ;)

Echo doing her JOB...cleaning the leaves out of the pool in the summer time. She would spend hours upon hours taking the leaves out. Once she got them all, we would sometimes go take more off of the trees and put them in just so she could continue...

She spent quite a bit of time last summer teaching Bailey her ways. We hope that Bailey will be able to fill Echo's shoes this coming summer!

Sweet Echo:

Thank you everyone for reading and sharing our special girl with us!

Reactions: Karen519

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I bet Echo is at the bridge waiting patiently for her people so that everyone (doggy and human alike) can be together again one day!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
I'm so sorry for your family, especially your mom!!!

RIP Echo.......

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Echo. Thanks for sharing her story. I was so touched to read you and your sister were there with your mom when it was time to say good-bye to Echo. Thoughts are with you and your family as you grieve. RIP sweet Echo!!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
My deepest condolences to you and especially to your mom. I know how hard is to lose a heart dog. It takes long time to heal.
Rest in peace sweet Echo.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Awwww, I'm so sorry. Echo sounds like a very special, wonderful furkid.

Please give our sympathy to your mom and family. I'm sure Echo is picking the leaves out of the water that runs under The Bridge.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My condolences to you all. I hope that very quickly the good memories with Echo will overtake the sadness your mom feels in her heart. It is indeed so hard to lose a heart dog but we are so fortunate in that we had one. Sending strength.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Sleep softly sweet Echo.

She sounds like she was a very special, and much loved dog. I am sorry for your loss

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom's sweet Echo. Godspeed.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
What a beautiful girl Echo was. I am so sorry for your mom's loss (and the family's loss, too). It's so hard to lose our pups.

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
awwww. :( RIP Beautiful Echo. Find My Frazier and have a romp. Godspeed.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Echo was so lucky to have a loving home and perfect life. It is so hard when they are no longer there physically but they are always in your Heart.
Peace be with you and your family. Give your Mom Hugs from NJ.
RIP Echo....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts