Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have another thread up about comet having a bruised wrist.
well the "anti inflamatory" they gave him was Rimadyl.
after half a 75mg last night and the other half this am, i came home tonight to a kitchen wiht two steaming piles of diahrea and urine.
poor guy. we decided he was NOT getting another dose.
will call vet tomorrow about it.

he is more than fine now, playful, looking for food etc...

reading online about it, some serious stuff. ***?

anyone else issues?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Some dogs have issues, some don't. I had a golden/lab mix who couldn't tolerate it, but back then, that was all there was out there. I alternate between rimadyl and deramaxx (not during the same treatment). I understand there are many other alternatives now that may be better tolerated. My dogs are good on either one, but I always give it with food. Like Advil in people, some tolerate it fine, some can't take even one.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Tia has been taking Rimadyl for her sore elbow, and she's doing fine. She generally gets her pill after eating. Toby took it for a long time, and he had no problems with it either.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My Max was allergic and chewed all the hair off his leg.. we figured out it was the Rimadyl, not the vet. We no longer have that vet.

There are other meds for pain now days. Ask your vet.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
My Golden, Quiz, can't take it. Makes him vomit. It's not that uncommon to have a dog who can't tolerate it.

·
3 goldens
12,092 Posts
I have never used it. my vt does not prescribe it as he said he has seen to many reactions. Also I have read of many many reations but mostly what scares me is that it can cause serious liver damage in a heart beat. I am leery of all NSAIDs, butknow sometimes they have to be given. It is my understanding that Metacam is much safer than rimadyle or deramaxx.

I hope the wrist heals soon.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Many years ago I took Maggie in for limping. The vet prescribed Rimadyl. Before I gave it to her I looked it up on the Internet, didn't like what I read about possible liver damage and other side effects. Put it in the cabinet and never used it. Just didn't feel the risks were worth it in her case. She got well on her own, guess it was a sprain or pulled muscle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks, will call the vet this am and tell them to mark his file to NOT prescribe it again. Feel so bad for the little guy, he's almost 6 months and has been an ace about potty training in that room, always free to roam after lunch and before we get home. he must have been in some tough shape there.

can't they just take ibuprofen? you can give them benedryl, dramamine etc...
simple answer must be, i guess not.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Thanks folks, will call the vet this am and tell them to mark his file to NOT prescribe it again. Feel so bad for the little guy, he's almost 6 months and has been an ace about potty training in that room, always free to roam after lunch and before we get home. he must have been in some tough shape there.

can't they just take ibuprofen? you can give them benedryl, dramamine etc...
simple answer must be, i guess not.
No, don't give Advil or Tylenol. They can take baby aspirin though, but check the doseage.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Some dogs can not toterate it. I will never give NSAIDS to my Jester again. We ended up in the ER vet when Jester had a terrible raction to Rimadyl given to him after his neuter surgery. We came home to him standing in a crate pan full of bloody diahrea. It took weeks to get his gastro system back to normal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some dogs can not toterate it. I will never give NSAIDS to my Jester again. We ended up in the ER vet when Jester had a terrible raction to Rimadyl given to him after his neuter surgery. We came home to him standing in a crate pan full of bloody diahrea. It took weeks to get his gastro system back to normal.
WOW. He gets neutered next month. I def need to make sure this goes in his file!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
slip kid, there are a number of different non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs). They are both an anti-inflammatory and an analgesic (pain relief). For things like a bruised wrist, you generally want both components. There are risks with any medication, but often the benefit outweighs the potential risk. When you discover your dog can't tolerate one medication, such as Rimadyl, you can try with another, such as Etogesic or Deramaxx. My old guy Cody couldn't even look at a Rimadyl, but Etogesic worked well for him. My Finn has to take the occasional NSAID, and Rimadyl has no negative effect on him (and yes, I do bloodwork on him regularly). This is a topic you'll want to discuss with your vet. Most vets will have a rational discussion of NSAIDs; those who insist you're being alarmist probably shouldn't be your vet:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts