Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So far I am very happy at what I am seeing. I am including some management of stressors along with Coren's suggestions as part of the training. One surprise is that I am now finding the dogs lying down fairly close to each other. This is very new. I have hope.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Some observations: Riley growls at Thor much more frequently at night, almost exclusively at night. Riley's growling/guarding may start at quite a distance which is surprising to me. However in discussing this with my obedience teacher, this can happen. Riley's resources include me, treats, and space. Also, there may be a growl instanteously (fraction of a second) followed by a smile which puzzles me. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know.

Some positive observations: The boys love playing with each other. And they play hard. They greet me in the morning in a tight space, both very happy, no signs of resource guarding. Riley seems much better at sharing space.
I think that the training is working.

My gut feeling is that I will need a combination of management and more training ala Coren.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
From ceegee "Maybe Riley has decided that you're his human and is staking his claim?"

This is definitely what I think has happened

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
From ceegee "Maybe Riley has decided that you're his human and is staking his claim?"

This is definitely what I think has happened
It's wonderful when they "choose" you, but it can be difficult! After Ruby died, our poodle chose me as his human, instead of my daughter (he's her dog). I think he did that because he sensed that I wasn't as "strong" as before. Ruby's death was very tough and I sort of didn't have the energy to be a good dog leader. It wasn't because I "needed" him; poodles don't function that way. Ours is a manipulative little beast and I think he seized his chance when he saw it. When Duster arrived on the scene a year later, the poodle wasn't pleased and took it out on the puppy.

I remember you saying that you had a knee replacement in the latter part of last year. That's tough to go through as well - the recovery takes months if not years, demands a lot of energy and is often an exercise in frustration (speaking from experience here). I'm a firm believer that there are no coincidences in life. Maybe this has been a factor for you too?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ceegee

I encouraged the bonding between Riley and me. I wanted him to learn that a human male would not abuse him. We spent several days together, just Riley and me. Riley absolutely loves me and I love him. However this was at Thor's expense.

Hmm...my knee surgery. Now that is something for me to think about.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OK, I am now three weeks into this. I would like to share some random thoughts.

1. I do think the Coren plan is working.
2. I am managing several factors.
3. No food around the dogs.
4. The dogs are not permitted in our dining area when we are eating.
5. Neither dog is permitted to go under the table.
6. If they get a Bully stick or a bone or Kong, we separate the dogs even though we have not had a problem with this.
7. No toys are left out on the floor.
8. The only toy left out is a tug rope. They like to play tug with each other.
9. We have eliminated several tight spaces.
10. When Riley gives a growl I use a behavior interruptor: "Hey, hey!". It stops him immediately---surprisingly so---and I almost always get a smile from him.
11. Again, Riley is much more apt to growl in the evening. I play games with him in the evening to keep him happy. It perks him up.
12. To be honest this is a bit labor intensive, probably a lot of work for most people.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts