Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we were all set to breed our two lovely Goldens next week, but are wondering if it is a really bad idea given the times...we live up I n the country on 30 acres north of a Fenelon Falls, Ontario. We welcome your comments

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
My .02=== I am getting the same if not more inquiries than I was getting last year. People want something to do.. and puppies certainly need people investing time in them. But if your dog and bitch do not have hips, elbows, heart by cardiologist and eyes in the last 12 months listed on OFA- I would say you are probably not in the same position to sell puppies as a reputable breeder with a long history in the breed. It might be difficult for that sort of breeder. I don't know that world's worries and current condition might or might not make a difference (and you may have the correct minimal clearances on your dogs- I don't know that, either). Probably if you are thinking it is a bad idea for you, it is.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
I totally agree about being a responsible and reputable breeder as Prism as stated. Just providing pups because you can is irresponsible.
But from another perspective... this might not be the best time to sell people that may be out of work and minimal income a puppy because they are bored. Owning a dog, any pet is for a lifetime and expensive if you provide the care they deserve anyway. I would think you would want more for your puppies than ending up in the pound because they can't take care of them. But this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As already mentioned, having all the health issues cleared is first! On top of that, what is it about breeding these two pups that will improve the breed overall. Earlier in life I explored becoming a breeder of field dogs. What I learned is that it is important that the parents and Grandparents have all the health clearances, above all else.

Secondary, the parents and grandparents, I ideally would have some titles in things like Obedience, or other disciplines that show the pups will have good train-ability, even if you are only breeding for family dogs. These dogs will sell for more and have a higher likelihood of being wonderful companion dogs....

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Health clearances aside (and they are of paramount importance) if you have never bred before, now is not the time to start. Vets are limiting access and appointments out of public health considerations. Breeding is not just sunshine and butterflies - things can go very wrong very fast. Not having a good repro vet at hand to help in an emergency would be enough to stop me.

Also, these are stressful, scary times for many people. Many people aren't working, are worried about paying bills, and above all, are worried about the health of their families and friends. I AM working, working from home, but I cannot imagine bringing a new puppy home right now - and I've done it a few times and know what it involves. And under the recommended public health guidelines right now, you should not be having people (like puppy buyers) over to your home, and that may very well not change in the next eight to 12 weeks. We have no idea where this virus is going right now. But neither Ontario nor Canada's numbers have levelled out. And what if you yourself gets sick? Then what happens to your pregnant girl and/or the newborn puppies?

So if you are truly looking for advice, no, in my opinion, this is not the right time to breed.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
100% agree with the others above.

We have 6 day old puppies right now (they were all spoken for before they were born).
Had I known what was coming, we would have held off.

Now is not a good time.

I'm worried, as this gets worse and it will, our puppy people will not be able to come pick up their puppies in 8 or so weeks. I don't even want to think about what happens if my wife and I both get it and end up in the hospital or worse.

Not a good time.
My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
100% agree with the others above.

We have 6 day old puppies right now (they were all spoken for before they were born).
Had I known what was coming, we would have held off.

Now is not a good time.

I'm worried, as this gets worse and it will, our puppy people will not be able to come pick up their puppies in 8 or so weeks. I don't even want to think about what happens if my wife and I both get it and end up in the hospital or worse.

Not a good time.
My two cents.
I so hear you. My Lab is due May 5. I'm hoping nobody gets sick in my house and that things are better by the end of June so that the puppies can go out to their volunteer puppy raisers. The organization's breeding program is on hiatus right now. It makes little sense to have puppies in the pipeline until things have settled down for our volunteer puppy raisers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have all your clearances and are thinking of breeding for the right reasons you might be okay. However, you must realize that if your pups don't sell, you must be prepared to train them and spend a lot of time with each one so that they will develop into happy, adjusted Goldens. What if you end up with a large litter that stays with you for several months? If you cant spend the time working with them individually, you may end up with a pack of wild, unmanageable dogs - kind of like an animal hoarder, hard on the house, hard on you, and hard on the dogs. Unless you have buyers for your pups, I would wait until the next heat cycle and see how the situation with the virus develops. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts