Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I am new to this forum and am looking to buy a golden retriever puppy. I am looking into a breeder who has provided me with the pedigree history - would someone mind looking at this for me and sharing their insights? Is there anything here that concerns you or do you think these will be healthy puppies? https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=975837

Thank you so much!

·
Robin
280 Posts
This lady is a good friend of mine! She’s been planning that litter for a long time, and the puppies look lovely so far. She’s active in the breed club, and all the clearances are in place. I’ve met her girl (Bonnie) in person, and she is very sweet and correct. You found a good one.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I didn't look back past the sire and dam originally.

The grand dam on dam side IS lacking ... I have never been able to figure out the MO of the Living Waters breeder, she was into EC type then started breeding to dark dogs def US type.. but the breeder of the litter is not that woman. This owner is conscientious and will go the extra mile, she did echo instead of ausculation for example.

Her dam, so the change history says, is owned by Living Waters Goldens-6/9/2015 12:05:44 PM:
Modified by Bonnie McCollum
Owner="Bonnie McCollum"
as of 8/15. She apparently did heart and eyes and no hips/elbows. Before she owned her, Cherie Fisher owned her (Magnolia). It'd be an easy email to see if Cherie did clearances on her.. if she had them in Brazil, she was under 5 mo old because per change history Cherie had her in the US @ that age.

edit: Cherie did not do hips/elbows.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,121 Posts
Hi there- are you referring to Bonnie's mother missing her hip OFA/ anything else?
Yes, and Mulder (who appears to have failed hips), and Bonnie's granddam, and Julie, and... There are a lot of missing clearances in that Goldentrip side. It's hard to know with foreign dogs, especially as you go farther back in time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thank you both! How big of a deal is it that the grandmother of the dam doesn't have her hips certified, when both the dam and sire have certified "good" hips?

Also, does the dam "Bonnie" have some english cream in her? The puppies are very light colored and I am hoping for a light/medium golden - do they typically darken as they get older?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the puppies- what color as adults will they turn out to be? Do they darken as they get older?

file:///Users/chelsea.corriveau/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202019-09-10%20at%205.15.24%20PM.png

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
thank you both! How big of a deal is it that the grandmother of the dam doesn't have her hips certified, when both the dam and sire have certified "good" hips?

Also, does the dam "Bonnie" have some english cream in her? The puppies are very light colored and I am hoping for a light/medium golden - do they typically darken as they get older?
Honestly, the lack of depth of clearances on the mother’s side bothers me. There are too many holes in hip/elbow clearances for me to be comfortable. Fergie’s mother has no clearances listed. Hans and powderpuff star also lack full clearances. I just stopped there.

It’s a matter of risk-how much risk are you comfortable with, and is the cost, in your mind, commensurate with the risk?

What kind of warranty is being offered?

If I were breeding a bitch whose clearance history was spotty, I would make sure she was bred to a male with a very strong history of clearances and with a record of producing well in regards to clearances. The sire she chose has very nice hip and elbow clearances. I did not check his pedigree or production record.

·
Robin
280 Posts

As I look further back in the dam’s pedigree, there are holes in the clearances. It looks like her breeder wasn’t as conscientious as she should be, and Yvette got Bonnie as a puppy and has done all the correct clearances that she should, and found a good sire who will improve on her. Regarding her pedigree, she does not have any European dogs anywhere in the several generations that I looked at. “English Cream” is not a real thing (just a marketing term that irresponsible breeders made up), but this girl is just a light colored American-bred golden, and does not come directly from any English/European lines. Since both she and the sire are light gold, and judging by the photos of them and the puppies, I’d imagine the puppies will mature to be light to medium gold. Here are some photos that seem pretty true to their actual color:

Attachments

·
goldenfan
671 Posts

There is some UK breeding and some Swedish breeding way back behind Malagold wine and Roses. The UK breeding is mainly from pale dogs. Annef

1 - 15 of 15 Posts