Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I participated in my first ever rescue tonight. I think I was a little bit crazy, but I couldn't watch these two dogs get hit by a car. They were pit bulls and were running along the side of a very busy road and kept dodging into the road almost getting hit by cars. I called the police and then tried to stay with them until the police got there. Two other cars stopped. I had no treats or leashes, but the one girl had turkey so we were able to bribe them until the second police car came with leashes. They were friendly thankfully. The police will hold them for 24 hours and then they will get released to a no-kill shelter. Is anybody here connected with Pit Bull rescues in Illinois???

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any connections to Pit Bull Rescues in Illinois?

I'm personally scared of pitt bulls because Duke was attacked by one once when he was 6 months old...But they were friendly and hungry and I couldn't stand to see one of them hit by a car. I think the one was sick - she had bad diarrhea. I was actually on my way to PetSmart to get some dog food, but never made it. By the time we had the dogs in the police cars, they were closed.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I applaud you for what you did. I've done that many times myself, sometimes with hubby in tow. Just can't bear to know the dogs are running loose and may get harmed or even worse. Hope their owners come forward.

Reactions: jennretz

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Be very careful when catching dogs. We had a local woman get bitten pretty badly trying to catch a loose husky mix. It didn't want to be caught and was scared and went after her. She never did catch it. But she has the scars to show for it unfortunately. Don't get hit by cars yourself either. I've seen cars driving all kinds of crazy trying to help or avoid hitting a loose dog. We kind of lose our minds sometimes. Be careful!

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be very careful when catching dogs. We had a local woman get bitten pretty badly trying to catch a loose husky mix. It didn't want to be caught and was scared and went after her. She never did catch it. But she has the scars to show for it unfortunately. Don't get hit by cars yourself either. I've seen cars driving all kinds of crazy trying to help or avoid hitting a loose dog. We kind of lose our minds sometimes. Be careful!
I certainly understand what you are saying and at no time did I run out or chase the dogs myself. I pulled my car off to the side of the road (into the park driveway). I watched their body language before even getting out of my car. They were friendly and did not have any stiff posturing or growling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.