Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Daisy in 2004 from a shelter. They told me she was a Vizsla/Retriever mix. All was well for 8 years until April 2012 when she started having siezures. The vet diagnosed her with AIHA (Auto-immune Hemolytic Anemia) with a red blood count a low as 15 at one point (normal is between 38-50). Since then she's been hospitalized for 5 days for dehydration, had 2 blood transfusions, and been put on 80mg of Predisone as well as Azathioprine. The pred is very strong and as a result her liver stopped functioning properly resulting in jaundice and a distended stomach that had to be drained by the vet. In the midst of all this she has also gotten UTI (unrinary tract infection). Given that this disease has a very high mortality rate for dogs, it's a miracle she's still here. It's been a rough couple of months, but she's finally getting better. I'm here to help others who are dealing with the same issue. I'm not sure if this is common in retirever dogs. Send me a message if you're struggling with this and I'd be happy to share my expieriences.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that you and your sweet dog have so much to deal with.

I have no experience with the complex medical issues you describe, but I have had many dogs, one of whom had seizures that were probably the result of lesions or cancer in his brain. I hope that someone here can help you understand her condition.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
Shmail,

My eldest golden at 9 years 4 mths was diagnosed with IMHA almost a month ago... He didn't have seizures, just an episode of heatstroke when I realized he was pale. PCV was stagnant at 17 even after a transfusion. The meds were tough, but they worked, he regenerated in the blood but not in the overall. I'm still waiting for his autopsy results, but it is believed there was a clot somewhere. He passed after fighting for less than 2 weeks and hospitalized for 3 days. It is a horrible fight and I'm glad and happy for any fur mom/dad who made it through. I just wish I was more educated about the illness while dealing with it, and perhaps I could suggest stuff to the vet. I don't know if that would have changed anything, but I wished I had done my best for him. He had a dental surgery done 2 weeks prior to the onset and I've always wondered if that was a trigger. Nobody would ever know. I've become hypervigilant and extremely paranoid at everything with my other 2 now. It's really a horrible disease that changes lives completely.

·
3 goldens
12,006 Posts
D*&$ I HATE that disease. It claimed my beautiful golden boy, Hunter (my avatar) at age 4 yrs. 2 months back on Oct. 16, 2003, just 8 days after he was diagnosed. I had never heard of it before he was diagnosed. He came down with after recieving a ProHeart6 heart worm prevention injection--turns out many, many dogs came down with it following those injections. I had e-mail or phone contact with about 45 of them and at that time only 2, yes, 2 had made it past a couple of weeks.

There is at least one survivor here on this forum. My Hunter never left ICU after being diagnosed. His count was 9 and even after two transfusions, it never got out of the teens. His necropsy report also indicated "drug induced necrosis of the liver.". Turns out a lot of dogs had the same thing after PH6. My poor boy got hit with both. JHe p[ossibily could have survived one, but not both. He had never been sick a day in his life til this happened. And the maker of PH^ did pay a good portion of the big vet bill--they knew their product was killing dogs, and of course the FDa had them pull it---10 months after Hunter's death. Was off for almost 4 years being "reworked" but I understand it is still causing problme,s

·
Me and Daisy Crazy Pants
531 Posts
My Golden Lucky had AIHA. I know what you are going through: waiting in anticipation and hope of good blood test results, watching the side effects of the meds, diet changes, and lots of prayers. You probably know about these websites but for those who do not these are some good resources.

Here is an excellent forum VetNet BBS Canine Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA) Threads

This is another good website about AIHA: Meisha's Hope; A guide to canine autoimmune hemolytic anemia

Dr. Jean Dodds is an expert on AIHA and gives help at a very reasonable cost. Home

There are definitely success stories. I'm so happy that your Daisy is doing better. Thank you so much for offering your help for this very serious illness. It is a long battle that can be won.

You and Daisy will be in my thoughts and prayers for a continuous recovery back to good health. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I second the above sites. Our Cody is an AIHA survivor. We adopted him at 18 months of age when he was in crisis. It took 8-9 months of intense care to get him thru the initial crisis, but he has been in remission since then..... 6 years ago. He does receive rabies vax every three years, but no other vax. He leads a pretty cloistered life since his immune system is so fragile ( and he is unvaccinated). He is not boarded and does not frequent areas where lots of other animals are. He's a happy, naughty boy though and we're so thankful he's a member of our family!

Reactions: eslucky
1 - 7 of 7 Posts