Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monty absolutely has no interest in retrieving or fetching. We have tried many times to get him interested in the activity (trying to make it a game, trying to make it a trained activity, etc.) as we have a nice yard and it is such good exercise. But he is militantly not interested. After one or two retrievers (on a good day) he looks at us like we are crazy then goes to find a stick to chew on.

Does anyone else have a Golden RETRIEVER that thinks retrieving is stupid????:eek:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Quinn will fetch in the garden, but in the fields not very often, but Reeva who is from a working line is totally hooked, she loves fetching any of her toys and if you ignore her she nudges your knee until she gets the right response

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nikita is only interested in a specific setting. In the garden/open fields etc she's doesn't seem to wanna retrieve, but when we're in the woods and places with a lot of "bumps", hills, high grass, water etc and she doesn't see clearly where the object lands, but has to go look for it and sniff around for a while, she just loves retrieving. I think it's the challenge.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bailey only likes to retrieve in the water and it has to be a stick. I have tried buying all sorts of nice toys and they end up floating away because she won't go and get them:(
As for Charlie she never seems interested in fetch either! Never in the yard and only for a few tosses in the water, then she happy to just swim around. I think I have malfunctioning Goldens!LOL
My friend's golden lives to retrieve, they have to hide the ball sometimes to give her a rest or she would go all day and night. It's so cute she comes and drops the ball in your lap, runs out and gives you the hard stare until you toss it for her.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
The first 3 of our 4 family's golden retrievers never understood the concept of fetch and totally didn't care for it. The 4th family golden (and our first male) is absolutely HOOKED and addicted to the game, plays it non-stop with whatever object he can find. MY dog, Molson doesn't understand the game of fetch with a tennis ball -- BUT, we just discovered this weekend that he LOVES frisbee and will fetch, retrieve and repeat numerous times! Keep trying with different objects and the positive encouragement and maybe one day it will just click with him! :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Watch what you wish for! LOL

Jasper isn't all that interested in fetch. Danny likes to play, but isn't obsessive about it.

Jasmine, my golden/lab mix, is totally obsessive. She will drop a ball at your feet and stare at you. Then she will bark at you, just one "woof" to let you know she is waiting. When we have company over and we are outside, we have to hide all the balls. I didn't take her to our last rescue reunion because people find it adorable that she likes to fetch so much and she always has willing participants. Problem is, she is 8 1/2 and will go until she drops dead. The day after an outing like that, she is totally crippled. She will run, swim and fetch, literally for hours. If one person tires out, she finds another victim.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Some dogs are just bigger retrievers than others. Ours could retrieve all day long and never get sick of it, but I have seen other Goldens and Labs who just don't get as into it as other dogs do.

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
We call Murphy the "Golden Lay-downer" because he would rather lay down than retrieve!

He's much more willing to chase a frisbee than a ball, though. We were surprised at how much more enthusiasm he has for a frisbee. It's one of those Chuck-it raised frisbees. Basically, I think he never played with people before coming to us...so he is still learning. He's never going to be one of the dogs with high fetch drive, though.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks has only minimal interest in retrieving sticks outside, but will retrieve a stick from water a few times. He has almost no interest in bringing back tennis balls. He does love to play a game with a large basketball or soccer ball where he tries to keep you from getting it out from under his body (but that's not retireving of course).
He WILL however play a "find it" game inside the house. I show him something and then he waits while I hide it. He then is told to "find it" and he will search all over the house til he does and then brings it back to me and lays it at my feet. He LOVES this game.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Our Penny thinks retrieving is for stupid dogs and idiots. Our SonIL calls her a Golden Bring it to Me!

She'll retrieve 2, maybe 3 times as if doing us a favor. We seem (to her) to have this spastic arm action that results in balls flying through the air. After a couple of times, it's a stick in the shade. We get a look that says: I will not enable you in this non-productive habit of yours. If you throw it, you go get it.

Even when she does 'retrieve' it's just to get a game of keep away.

Seems retrieving isn't that common among Goldens!:confused:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny's favorite game is with her jolly ball. She'll hold it in her mouth and my job is to 'guess' when she's loosened her grip and kick it away. O can't tell when she's loosened it because she hides her mouth by tilting it a little to the side so I can see it. I watch the fur on the top of her head and can tell if she's just mouthing the handle. Of course I kick very gently because sometimes she hangs on really tight.

She stays interested in that game longer if I kick the ball just a couple of feet. Sometimes she goes after it growling at it. I think she's cussing! :p:

All games end in tummy rubs!:smooch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts