Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The vet doesn’t open until Monday, so I come here to see if anyone could offer some suggestions…

This morning my husband took Ciba (our 10 months old boy) out for his routine walk and he was normal, playful and happy just like usual days. Usually he would sleep after the walk and only wake up for a short time in the afternoon for a bit of snacks. But this morning, he slept for only one hour or so. Around 10:30, he was whining and barking at the door. It was clear that he wanted to go out.

Because he had diarrhea several days before and we thought the diarrhea may be back again, so we took him outside. He didn’t poop, only pee a little, not in a hurry way.

Then at 11:00, 12:30, 1:30, 3:00, he did it again and again. We took him out every time, he didn’t poop nor crazy play, but pee a little, sniffed a little, and lay down on the grass.

We thought it was demand barking and we attempted to ignore him several times, but he whined and whined as if he was in pain. When he was quiet, I petted him and he was very happy for my petting. ( I read online that a dog in pain will refuse being petted) I pressed his tummy, paws, legs to see if something wrong, he didn’t react and just lay down there.

He kept this restless way until 3:30pm, finally he went to sleep.

He was restless and in pain on this Monday night. The next day he had watery diarrhea and pooped out a stone. The vet gave him some medicine and we put him on bland diet. On Friday he had a perfect poop and was playful again. Even during his diarrhea days, he didn’t act like this way.

To prevent him from swallowing another stone or garbage, we made him wear a muzzle every off-leash-free-time. There’s little chance that he could eat another undesirable thing.

We take him outside for walk three times a day, one hour for morning and afternoon, and half of an hour for the late night ( Recently the weather is getting hotter, so we switch the long walk from the afternoon to the late night). We also do his training during the walk. I don’t think he’s lacking exercise or stimulation.

He does whine and bark a little in the morning to wake us up. But he has never done this demand barking/whining for getting out before.

I don’t know if he’s really in pain, or just not happy with the muzzle and wants to go out more times to compensate? The muzzle of course makes his free running less fun, he can’t chew on sticks, stones and grassroots like he used to.

(As I am typing, at 5:15, he got up and walked to the door, whining and barking again. We ignored him.)

Or he just learned during this week that whining/barking at the door = go outside?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Better be safe than sorry: take him to the vet again and request they do an ultrasound of his abdominal area. If he pooped out a stone already he may have others in his digestive tract.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s late night, 12:04. He starts barking again 30 minutes ago.

We took him out for the late night walk as usual, at 9:00pm, around one hour of playing fetch, running and sniffing on the big grassland. He was playful as he always is. No sign of pain or anything.

He went to sleep at 10:00pm. And now he does it again. My husband goes downstairs to comfort him. We know it’s sort of encouraging him but it’s late night and we can’t bother our neighbors.

He’s not a super demand barker since he was a little puppy. Could it be an adolescent demand barking behavior?

During daytime we could ignore him, but what we should do in the late night?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Every so often my 14-month old Archie will start running from room to room with this high pitched whining-crying thing going on. We live in a super dog friendly neighborhood and someone is always walking past our house with their dog. He doesn’t do it with all dogs, just a few. Sometimes he starts his antics long before the dog is even in front of the house. With Archie, I do think it could definitely be his teenage boy hormones acting up when a girlie-dog in heat passes by. He also goes to the door and when I take him out, he mark-pees vs. actually going pee. Since your guy swallowed rocks, I’d definitely take him to the vet to rule out more rocks and if all is clear perhaps it is the teenage boy thing!

Reactions: Wendy427

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies!! Problem kind of solved today. We believe it is probably because of the muzzle.

This morning he had a perfect poop, normal pee, no diarrhea at all. We took him for the routine walk, and then I noticed something: he didn't run when with the muzzle, only walking or quick walking.

So we took the muzzle off, and then he ran like crazy. When we got home, he slept immediately after a small breakfast (we used most of his breakfast to train him during the morning walking). He sleeps and sleeps, no whining or barking anymore.

We bought him the muzzle on Thursday, and on that day he was still recovering from diarrhea and tummy pain, so his energy level was lower than usual. He did it OK with the muzzle. But on Friday, as his energy level resumed, the exercise assumed to meet his need turns out to be not enough at all. He barely ran when the muzzle was on, but we were so scared by the stone swallowing and kept him wearing the muzzle all the off-leash time. He was tired but not tired enough for sleeping and still wanted to go out to play.

We'll see if he would sleep through the night today. If so, then it should be the muzzle.

But we'll call the vet on Monday anyway, to rule out any potential medical reasons.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
What kind of muzzle were you using and did you take time to acclimate him to it?

If you feel it's necessary for him to wear a muzzle you have some other options (in muzzles) if your only goal is to stop the rock eating. We can give you some suggestions and I can also provide some links about how to introduce the muzzle in a more gradual/positive way that may cause him less distress...

Reactions: Wendy427
1 - 8 of 8 Posts