Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Maya Golden Retriever
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a female golden retriever puppy 7 months. When she was younger we took her for basic training. She responded to a few things well. However, her eating from the ground has not stopped and guarding resource if she is chewing the carpet for example. Now she snaps and snarls at us when we try to get things out of mouth or try to get the things she is on such as a carpet with strings. She gets very agressive and snapy.

Any advice to help with this would be appreciated.

She is usually a very kind puppy, lovable, great with kids, people on the street. However, when its food its different.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I’m sorry you’re going through this. My best advice is for you to work with a trainer on this versus risking getting some advice that may actually make things worse. PM if you would like me to put you in touch with someone experienced with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,288 Posts
I see you're not located in the US, I would ask your Vet for a private trainer recommendation or check where you took her for training to see if private training sessions are available.

·
Super Moderator
2,260 Posts
Agree, it’ll be best to work with a private trainer ASAP for this as she is still young and you can nip it in the bud before it escalates.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Once a dog resource guards something they are apt to resource guard other things. There is a misconception that it can be trained away or corrected away. A good trainer can give the handler tools to manage and build alternative behaviors for the dog to choose. The key here is safety. For example, my foster pup was relinquished for guarding and snapping at a child and making contact with skin. She was fed in an area where the child had access. The way to manage it is to create a safe place for her to eat. I assume she will guard otherwise. And we are working on foundation skills like drop, trade, release, etc.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
This is one technique that might help with the resource guarding for things she gets in her mouth:
Chirag Patel - Drop

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
This is one technique that might help with the resource guarding for things she gets in her mouth:
Chirag Patel - Drop
Thanks for sharing! I’m going to try that approach with my foster pup.

Reactions: Thalie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts