Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of "pure curiosity" (i.e., I don't see myself getting a rescue, of any breed)...

With the "obvious value" of getting pet insurance, and with all of the insurance's have exclusions for "pre-existing conditions", how well does that work with getting a dog from a rescue?

If you have experience with this...
  • How realistic is it to get medical history with a rescue?
  • How difficult/easy is it to get an insurance carrier to issue a policy on the rescue?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The humane society offered 30 days of pet insurance and it would have been easily bought at the price of a normal policy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The humane society offered 30 days of pet insurance and it would have been easily bought at the price of a normal policy
Three questions:
  • What kind of medical history did the shelter provide?
  • Did you buy pet insurance for the dog you adopted?
  • If you did buy pet insurance for the dog you adopted, were there any issues with pre-existing conditions?

·
Registered
298 Posts
My dog was a stay.
I did do the 30 day free trial. Same company AKC offers
Unsure about the pre existing. Never used it
Three questions:
  • What kind of medical history did the shelter provide?
  • Did you buy pet insurance for the dog you adopted?
  • If you did buy pet insurance for the dog you adopted, were there any issues with pre-existing conditions?

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
It does depend on what history is provided. The insurance company will require the records from the shelter or rescue where you got the dog. Only things that were treated prior to purchasing the insurance would be pre-exsiting.

For instance, my rescue will do just about every procedure necessary, and then provide those records to the adopter. So if a dog had knee surgery while in rescue, and the adopter bought insurance the insurance company would not cover the knees since the surgery was done prior to purchasing the insurance (if one was done they won't cover the other one).

If the rescue or shelter only provides vaccination history, and did no other treatment, then there wouldn't be anything documented that could be considered pre-exisitng.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,217 Posts
I've adopted 2 Goldens, one through a GR Rescue and one through my local County Shelter.
Very little to no info was known about background or prior history for girl that I got through the GR Rescue. They did complete health exam and treated her medical needs prior to being available for adoption. I opted not to get insurance.

Same with my current boy that I adopted through my local Shelter.
He was a stray intake, I took him to the Vet for complete wellness check immediately, but again didn't take insurance.

On both it was available, I didn't take it because I have a separate account for their medical needs which fortunately haven't been anything major or anything a claim needed to be filed for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts