Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

We rescued a now 2 year old field golden retriever, Comet, from a shelter last year just days before he was going to be put down. He was extremely malnourished and had a rough first year of his life before the shelter (he was basically kept in a kennel 23 hours a day). Over the past year we have brought him back to good health, socialized him and taken him to obedience. He has become a wonderful dog.

However, we recently moved to a home in the city and are taking on new jobs that do not allow for the time and attention this guy deserves. As a golden, and a 2 year old, he has a lot of energy and requires daily stimulation or exercise. We jog with him (he is good on a leash with a harness) and we take him to the dog park to play fetch. He also goes to daycare 1 day a week and does great with male and female dogs. He is amazing with children and has been exposed to cats.

With the proper stimulation, he is great in the house. He is not destructive and is used to free roam. He does have food anxiety (not aggression - you can take anything from him) from being malnourished as a puppy. He is always on the hunt for snacks and will go counter surfing if there is anything out. Beyond that, he loves people and is generally a great dog.

It breaks my heart, but I know our current home is not the best this boy deserves. For his best future we are looking for a new home for him. Please let me know if anyone is interested in learning more about this great guy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,267 Posts
Welcome to the board. This group of people has done some wonderful things finding new homes with board members for a good number of dogs, so you may find Comet a great new home right here.

However, I would also really encourage you to contact the Golden Retriever rescues in and around your area to see if they can take him and put him in their adoption program. You can find a list of the rescue groups on this website, I really hope you will contact them.

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for your support. We have contacted our local Golden Rescue, however they just took in 30 puppy mill dogs (so great for the dogs to have a new life) and are a little backed up! So we wanted to exhaust all of our options for Comet.

A bit more on Comet:
Favorite snack - cheese
Favorite in home activity - watching the birds through the window
Best friend - Gracey the coonhound from daycare
Favorite place to nap - in his chair in the living room
Loves to swim & play fetch - preferably both at the same time

Please let me know if you have any questions or want to know more!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Bless you for putting Comet's needs first and finding him the right home. I'm sure it is difficult to give him up. He is very handsome.

The first two rescues below are in Wisconsin and the third one is in Northern Illinois. Transports can happen if you cannot get Comet to them. I know the Minnesota rescue is very busy right now but could they recommend one of the rescues to you? Certainly someone from here could step forward as well but you want to be sure that it is the right fit for him. Best of luck to you!

Golden Retriever Rescue of WI > Home

Wisconsin Adopt A Golden Retriever, Inc.

asgoodasgold.org - Home

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
How much does he weigh? What can you tell me about his health background? Is he neutered? What are you asking for him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Everyone! Thank you for the kind words and support. It is a great idea to speak with the Wisconsin rescue's and I will contact them.

A bit more information:
He is 80 pounds and 27 inches at the shoulder. Very standard Golden size. He is neutered and up to date on all his shots.

In terms of his health, we don't know much about his first few months but assume he didn't have much care based on his condition. When we first brought him home he had some hot spots and ear infections that we discovered were from some allergies.

We did the blood test on him (results will be sent to his new home) and learned he has some environmental allergies due to being kept inside his first full year (we think last summer was his first exposure to pollen). This is currently managed by putting benadryl in is food each meal. We did try him on rimadyl, but due to his food anxiety this just made him crazy.

He is also moderately allergic to chicken, so he is currently on a fish based food (Acana Pacifica).

A few other notes:
He currently doesn't use a crate - just has free roam of the first floor of our house. We did try a crate once and he was terrified of it - I think from being in one so much as a pup. With the proper stimulation he is great in the house, and even when he has high energy he has never destroyed anything of value - just some tupperware, the newspaper, etc.

If anyone is interested in meeting him, we are located in the Twin Cities but are willing to drive and meet you if it is reasonable.

We are asking for a small re-homing fee of $50.

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Although I'm from over the pond, I hope you find a loving home for Comet, as previously said, this Forum is fantastic and will help in whatever way they can. It must be very sad for you to have to give him up - I couldn't imagine having to do this. But credit to you for putting Comet's needs first, especially when he's had such an awful start to life.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
He's a beautiful boy. :) Speaking from recent experience, this site is full of wonderful people.

I suspect he'll have a new home shortly. And maybe even a fur brother or sister to play with.

This cannot be an easy decision for you. Rest assured he'll end up in a wonderful home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your support and thoughts as we find Comet a new home. We have been able to get him in to a foster home with our local GR rescue group. He will be going to live with a retired gentleman in the country, on a lake with plenty of room to run and be loved.

This has been very hard, but knowing he will be loved as he finds his future forever home is helping.

Thanks again,
Danielle & Comet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
First night on site. Is this thread really 10 months old? My situation is good for another Golden in my home. What happened with Comet? Are any dogs needing a home?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: Bob Dylan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: 2 yo Golden in MN needs new home

Hello. We are interested in learning more about Comet. Our family read about his experiences, personality and saw his photo. He is beautiful.

We have four daughters. I stay at home. Also, a yellow lab dog named Gage who is 5yrs old.

We live in Forest Lake and would be very interested in meeting Comet. We hope to hear from you as Comet has our four girls vote for #1!!!

Thanks.
Bridget

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 38 Posts