Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thank you for rescuing her from what sounds like a not so nice life. I am sure you both will be blessed to be apart of each others lives..you will be repayed by much love!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hello from Northern Canada. I'm sorry if this gets long. My husband and I just rescued a Golden Retriever on July 7th. I've kind of been browsing through the forums here since then trying to read up and learn what I can about the breed since it was not a planned rescue and more of a right time, right place thing.

We have a fixed male Jack Russell Terrier named Milo who is 8. We also have two cats that run the place. We do a lot of fishing and camping May through the end of October.

It was on our second to last camping trip that we came across Ivy and her last owners. They were talking about euthanizing her because the woman didn't want her or like her, and the guy didn't have time to devote to the dog. She's got a bad haircut, I can see her ribs through her coat, she ducks when you raise your hand to pet her, and she was extremely aggressive when we first met her because she was tied to the back of their camper van with little more than a few feet to move around on her leash. The old collar she was wearing had a metal ring on it that had pulled almost all of the hair off around her neck (that was the first thing we ditched). She's not fixed, and it's quite a bit more expensive to get done than I was led to believe. They estimated her age to be between 4 and 5 years old, but everyone who has seen her thinks she is younger because of her energy level.

Bringing her home, she fit right in with the cats. She hovers over Milo constantly though and he doesn't really appreciate that. She will sit on your lap if you allow it. She's quite the attention seeker. So far, we can now walk without a leash, she hasn't been aggressive with anyone or any other dogs, nor is she food aggressive. She knows the simple commands, and is even picking up on the sign language. She loves the water and loves to be brushed (we brushed out a grocery bag full of hair the first day home). She's a real joy to be around, and seems to be happy.

I welcome any information or comments that might be helpful for us on this journey and look forward to be part of this community.
You have done a wonderful thing. She is a beauty!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Give her time. You as well as Ivy are so blessed to have each other. This breed of dog is exceptional. They are loyal, and unbelievably forgiving. They are smart. It won't be long and she will have picked up your pattern of routine, even if you think your routine is chaotic. Goldens have a natural instinct to nearly know what their pack members are getting ready to do.

Im not sure if you use a cage, but this might be wise if she is distructive when you leave, especially since it appears that she did not have that bond with the other family, she might freak out, get scared or angry when your not there simply because she misses you. This will resolve itself.

Keep working with touching her face and rewarding her for not flinching or moving her head away. Let her learn how loving hands can be. You will see, as her tail starts to rise and wave as she prances and gains confidence that you have become a really big deal in her life and so has she in yours. Also, get her out and socialize her with other animals. Sometimes animals can be the greatest influence on a under confident dog. When she sees how they react, she will eventually chime in.

Abundant Blessings for You!

dar

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
What a little cutie!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
BOOKLADY

Thank you also for adopting your bonded pair. I'm so sorry to read about Kyra returning to Heaven.

There's another poster here, PrincessDi, who adopted a pair of brothers who'd been kept outside their entire lives until she and her husband adopted them. Your mention of 'couch potatoes' reminded me of them.

Nothing like a rescue. Everything you said is so true. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Buddy spent his first 2 years of life in a filthy trailer and full of fleas. He was not housebroken. I tremble every time it is a hot day thinking how bad his previous home must have smelled.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
Buddy spent his first 2 years of life in a filthy trailer and full of fleas. He was not housebroken. I tremble every time it is a hot day thinking how bad his previous home must have smelled.
Aw. What a lucky boy Buddy is to be living with you :D

I named our first rescue Buddy ala "who are you, buddy?" Couldn't tell what kind of dog he was at first. He'd wandered up to my wife as she was pulling out of her office pulling a stake on the end of a chain, his eyes swollen shut and teeth worn down from chewing on the chain trying to get free. Finally pulled the stake out and made a break for it. Super sweet, never met a stranger.

The ability of goldens to overcome sad beginnings never ceases to amaze me. People could learn a lot about letting the past stay in the past from goldens.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Aw. What a lucky boy Buddy is to be living with you :D

I named our first rescue Buddy ala "who are you, buddy?" Couldn't tell what kind of dog he was at first. He'd wandered up to my wife as she was pulling out of her office pulling a stake on the end of a chain, his eyes swollen shut and teeth worn down from chewing on the chain trying to get free. Finally pulled the stake out and made a break for it. Super sweet, never met a stranger.

The ability of goldens to overcome sad beginnings never ceases to amaze me. People could learn a lot about letting the past stay in the past from goldens.
Your Buddy was also the 1st Therapy Dog in your area- Right? I think I read that in one of your other posts previously. He find the best home with you Danny and your lovely Wife of course!!!

My Buddy definitely has the good life. He is on his sofa with a fan while I sweat like a piggy!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
Your Buddy was also the 1st Therapy Dog in your area- Right? I think I read that in one of your other posts previously.
Yes, he was.

BTW, we were the winners vis a vis Buddy, as I'm sure you feel about yours as well. What a gift a golden rescue is to a home. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maybe the most ironic thing about this whole experience thus far has been knowing and planning for our next dog to be a rescue dog. It's been something we've been talking about for about a year and a half now as we've met and gotten to know quite an abundance of dog breeds and their owners while out camping. It obviously wasn't something we were really prepared to commit to so soon, but we are good at rolling with whatever life throws at us.

We don't have a crate; we've never really needed one. I'm always home, and unless we have travelled where we can't take Milo, he's always been along for the ride. The same will go for Ivy too. When we are away, we have a house sitter who owns his own business and loves taking Milo to his office. I'm sure that wont change.

We started going with a house sitter because when we put them all in the kennel when we went on a two week holiday, one of our cats stress limit was highly tested, and I couldn't bear having to do that to him ever again. That was 7 years ago.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's rescue stories, they are so personal. Thank you for sharing them. It's amazing to know where they've come from and to see who they are now. Experiencing their happiness has to be one of the most rewarding and fulfilling things one can hope to achieve out of such a selfless act. I've spent hours reading and just looking at all the pictures on this forum.

·
Mom to Artemis & Justice
1,190 Posts
What a beautiful girl. Thank you so much for taking her out of the bad situation she was in and giving her a loving home. Ivy will be the light of your life for a long time to come. Welcome to the forum.....we'll be waiting for more pictures!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,169 Posts
Welcome to you and Ivy, she's absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for giving her a home and all the love she could possibly ever hope for.
How sad to think her previous owners were talking about euthanizing her, I can't comprehend that.

She will blossom in your care and will become even more beautiful than what she already is.

Both of my goldens are adopted, my girl is a former breeder girl I adopted through a GR Rescue and I found my boy at my County Humane Society. Rescue Goldens are very special, they will show their love and gratitude to you each and every day.

I would want several weeks before you schedule Ivy's spay, this way she will have time to fully relax, get comfortable, and begin bonding with you.

I wish you many years with this beautiful girl.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
God blees you for rescueing her!Sweetie was much the same way when we got her ,except for aggression.With lots of love I can promise she will come around.Please keep us updated Again God Bless

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Thank you so much for saving Ivy's life. I will never understand how someone can even think about euthanizing their pet because they don't want it any longer. I'm so glad her previous owners are now in her past. It certainly sounds like they didn't treat her very well.

I believe it was meant to be for her to end up in your home. She is such a pretty girl and I'm glad everything is going well.

Bless you for giving her a wonderful new home!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Krista

Maybe the most ironic thing about this whole experience thus far has been knowing and planning for our next dog to be a rescue dog. It's been something we've been talking about for about a year and a half now as we've met and gotten to know quite an abundance of dog breeds and their owners while out camping. It obviously wasn't something we were really prepared to commit to so soon, but we are good at rolling with whatever life throws at us.

We don't have a crate; we've never really needed one. I'm always home, and unless we have travelled where we can't take Milo, he's always been along for the ride. The same will go for Ivy too. When we are away, we have a house sitter who owns his own business and loves taking Milo to his office. I'm sure that wont change.

We started going with a house sitter because when we put them all in the kennel when we went on a two week holiday, one of our cats stress limit was highly tested, and I couldn't bear having to do that to him ever again. That was 7 years ago.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's rescue stories, they are so personal. Thank you for sharing them. It's amazing to know where they've come from and to see who they are now. Experiencing their happiness has to be one of the most rewarding and fulfilling things one can hope to achieve out of such a selfless act. I've spent hours reading and just looking at all the pictures on this forum.
Krista: God Bless you for rescuing IVY. I don't think it was any accident how she found you! God works in mysterious ways. My hubby and I have adopted two Golden Retrievers: Smooch, adopted at 16 mos. from Golden Ret. Rescue -Smooch went to Rainbow Bridge at age of 12. She was a stray-the sweetest GIRL! Now we adopted Tucker, at age of 2, a male Red Golden Retriever, from someone on this forum that had to find a new home for him. He is a wonderful boy and will be 5 yrs. old in September. Ivy looks like Tucker.
Take a look at my Gallery if you click on my name and see Smooch and Tucker.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,431 Posts
My last two dogs were rescues. Ivory through Tenn Valley G.R.R. back in 2001. She, her momma, and her litter mates were rescued from a coal shed in an old neighborhood. Pups had distemper and kennel cough. She was about 8 weeks when we adopted her, and had a great dog for 10 years. We lost her to mast cell in April 2011. In May 2011 we adopted Daisy through Mid Tenn G.R.R.. She was an owner turn in to a kill shelter in Bowling Green KY. MTGRR took her in on her last day in the shelter. The owner surrender paperwork had her call name and her D.O.B., unusual for a shelter dog. She was so filthy and matted, and flea infested that the was shaved from mid-ribs back to halfway of her tail. She has been a great dog, and rules the home. We speculate that she was a Christmas puppy in 2009, and when she got to the chew-everything-in-sight stage, was pitched out into the back yard, and was finally surendered by a slightly more responsible parent to the shelter in hopes that she would find a better life. Rescue is the best way to adopt a pet.

Max (the human, not the dog)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts