Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, meet Samantha (or BoxBaby, as we called her the 1st few weeks). My daughter found this angle discarded in a closed cardboard box on the side of the road while walking her German Shepherd. She was immediately "home" with us! Took her to the vet the next day and based on the fact she had all her puppy they guessed her at 6-7weeks. She was only 4.16lbs. It has been 9weeks to the day and she is now 16.2lbs. Everyone with knowledge assumes she is a light colored Golden Retriver. (Tho a few have suggested a Great Pyrenees) she is underweight to either if her age is correct. (Though now supposedly 15-16weeks she still has all her puppy teeth). She most closely resembles a very light Golden from all my research (although her tail has a very distinct fan on the last 1/2 that I'm unsure of). Any thoughts from y'all to help me decide? No dewclaws on her rear legs. $ is tight or I would get a DNA test. I'm trying very hard to get my photos to upload from iPhone so you can see her. But any advise in the meantime for tell tale clues? Any tips to add photos from my iPhone? Is there an App?

·
Kristy
10,013 Posts
It's just really hard without seeing a photo of her, if you can get some of her standing from the side, good views of her head from a couple angles this group is pretty good at giving answers. There is honestly no telling without seeing her.

She is a lucky girl to have been found by you regardless. I would strongly suggest that no matter which breed she is, you begin working with her daily on leash for obedience. Either breed needs to have consistent and firm management as they grow through the first year or so to be good family dogs. Best of luck with your baby :)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Helllo, welcome to the forum...thanks for rescuing Samantha, that was a great thing you did... As far as posting pics...you can hit reply to your thread, and at the top of the message, there will be symbols, look for the paper clip symbol...it's next to the smiley face I believe...I have an android, so Im hoping they work the same. hit the paperclip, and it will ask you to upload your pics, put them in there, hit upload...then close the window...hit the paperclip again, they should be in there, you then can add to your reply message. I think there is an option to add all, or if not, add them one at a time...good luck, cant wait to see her!!!!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Thanks for rescuing her. We would love to see a picture or two....

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
She's sooo cute. I'm glad your daughter found her. I'll let others with more expertise comment on whether she is a Golden pup.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,873 Posts
She's a doll, possible Golden mix but not sure what the mix is.
She's really cute and looks like a sweetheart.

Did your Vet have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
what a lucky find, she is adorable- how can anyone just abandon a puppy like that.. She reminds me of a Japanese Spitz, Golden mix my friend owns.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
OMG she is so cute!!! How could anyone discard her? Thank you for saving her!! Your daughters Shepard is a hero :grin2: She looks like a golden to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your puppy looks very much like my Oliver when he was a puppy. I am attaching a photo of him when he was a puppy. Our vet did not believe he was 8 weeks old when we got him because he was so scrawny and surely did not look like a golden retriever like his siblings did. (Unfortunately, we only found out later the breeder was a backyard breeder/puppy mill).

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
She is so beautiful and sweet. Will never understand how people can throw away a little life.

I bet your daughter thought she hit the jackpot when she opened that box. It looks like your GS is ok with puppy.

Best wished for many wonderful years with her.

I'm guessing she has some golden in her based on the feathers, her smile, and the shape of her face. Hang around on here for a while and learn about the Golden temperament. It's quite distinct and if Samantha has it, then she's got some GR in her! And even if she doesn't have a drop of GR, there is a lot of great info on here about raising, training, feeding, etc. puppies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to adopt her if u were closer. I'm looking for a puppy, preferably a golden retriever. My children have been asking for a dog do we are looking. We had a Labrador retriever 5 years ago. She passed away. We had her for 10 years. I'm being patient. I'm sure a little puppy will come our way. He or she will be loved.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,971 Posts
Samantha is going to grow up to be a beautiful dog, regardless of her breed.

Max

Reactions: jennretz

·
Registered
VeeVee and Gabby
66 Posts
So GOOD that your daughter found this sweet little puppy and that you are able to keep her and give her a loving home. I will never understand the cruelty of some people. I just don't get it. Thank you for taking her into your home.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
She looks so sweet. What is wrong with people? Honest to God. Okay, you can't keep her - but you can't make the effort to find her a home? I can't believe how some people treat dogs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts