Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So less than 3 weeks after losing Cody, Wednesday was a crazy day for me.

This was my week to start my day an hour early, when all the other workers came in around 9 a.m., I overheard them talking about a stray dog outside. Someone said they called animal control, so I figured he would be picked up. An hour later, I looked outside and the dog was laying outside our front door. I asked again about animal control and was told they were called. I wasn't too confident they called the right number because it should not have taken that long for someone to pick the dog up.

About an hour later, I went out the back door because I didn't want to have the dog run with me to my car. But too late. As I opened the back door, he was in the back parking lot, having followed a car from the front to the back, where a worker was getting out of her car. He was super friendly, tail wagging, but jumping on the girl, desperate for help. As I called him over to me, he started running on three legs, holding his front left up as he hopped over. He was a young dog, mostly black lab with a slightly pit bull looking face.

"That's it," I said. "Let's go. I'm taking him to the shelter myself for care." He got to my car and I lifted him into the back seat. I fed him the meat and cheese from my sandwich as we headed to the humane society, where I dropped off Cody's leftover food two weeks earlier. As I got to the parking lot, the dog clinged to my seat as I tried to lift him out of the car. He was clearly scared and maybe thought I was going to dump him there.

As we got to the front door, it was closed. It was 11:30 a.m. and the shelter didn't open until noon. But fortunately, two workers were coming in and they came over to help me. But they told me they couldn't take the dog because he was found outside the city limits, and had to go to the next city shelter. I said "fine, I will drive him wherever I need to go." They said no need, the city animal control officer could pick him up and then take him over. I called, and they said the officer was 5 minutes away.

The dog had clearly been chained to something, because at the office he had a rope dangling from his collar. As we removed his big collar, he had a metal chain around his neck. We couldn't even figure how it was put on him, there was no clip or anything. One of the workers got some tree cutters and we tried to cut the metal, no luck. And good thing. As we looked closer, the chain in the front was inbedded into his skin. I was slowly losing it, almost in tears for this dog.

The animal control officer arrived and placed the dog in the carrier for transport. He was so scared and I wanted to take him so badly, but I couldn't. First, we can't have a dog now because we're in the process of moving, we're also not ready for another dog at this time. But even if I was, legally, you have to turn the dog in for 5 days so the owner can claim him. If the owner shows (unlikely) the officer said he'll be charged with animal abuse. Plus, the dog needed vet care for his leg and neck.

I'm trying to get an update on the web site, where they post pictures of lost dogs, but he hasn't shown up yet. I know he just wanted to come with someone, but at least he's inside, getting fed and getting cared for. Ofte course, I found it incredible this happened just a couple weeks after losing Cody. And of course, I had dreams about Cody the last 2 nights.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I'm glad you could help that poor dog. Hopefully he will find a nice forever home.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I deeply hope that he will be your dog. It is meant to be. Please take him. It was a sign from Cody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts