Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I rescued our golden retriever "mix" puppy 3 weeks ago who is now an estimated 4 months old. We're trying to get an idea if he is basically all golden retriever or if he could be mixed with another breed. He only weighs 14 lbs right now and I don't know if it's because he is just a smaller golden or if it's because he was on the streets for who knows how long before we rescued him! He doesn't eat a whole lot because it's hard to get him to focus for long enough. His fur is lighter (almost white) on his shoulders and chest but his ears and feet are darker red. His chest and neck are on the curly side right now and after bath time his ears get all crimped. Any ideas or input are appreciate :)

Thanks!
Natalie

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His name is Aspen! Thanks so much for the warm welcome :) Him and 8 of his siblings were chasing a mailman (go figure!) and he called the police who turned him into the local shelter. Luckily my parents are regular volunteers so they knew about the puppies before they were available for adoption. We got the first pick of the litter!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
In the second and third pictures he looks like a full blooded golden but the first a mix but all the pictures he is just so cute. I dont blame you for adopting him he is just adorable. I love his name too. Congratulations on your new baby.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Aspen

Your Aspen is SO ADORABLE!! Bless you for adopting! I can see why you fell in love with him!!
He looks all Golden Retriever to me, but it really doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Aspen is a treasure..... a lucky one! His ears seem a bit small for a full-blooded GR; but it is impossible to say. Keep posting pics - I'd love to see him as he matures.

Enjoy puppyhood and welcome!

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Agree, a little too soon to tell, almost looks like some sort of " doodle" in there, based on the extreme fluff of the coat and longer snout. You will have to give it a few more weeks to see how the features change to see what you have as far as DNA is concerned, but WOW what a CUTE puppy! I love the one with the bed as if Aspen says " And THIS is my NEW bed and NEW toy...." :) Congratulations, and post often! Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
OMG, what a cutie! Please give him a big hug from me....puppy fever now.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
no advice/knowledge here, either...but soooo cute!

8 cute pups chasing mailman! that musta been something! I'm sure there'll be 7 more lucky families.

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
ETA - I glanced at the pictures again and saw the last pic... that ear set looks a bit more like a little poodle. And I see the curly fur there.

Or he could be a purebred golden with faulty ears. You never know until he grows up a little.

He looks adorable<:

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Kate, That's what I said that I thought too.... A doodle..... :) Wouldn't that be AWESOME if Aspen ended up being a goldendoodle, only because all the " boutique":rolleyes: Breeders charge SO MUCH MONEY for those dogs and these were chasing a mailman and wound up in a shelter???!!! Hilarious. Knowing how we all feel about doodles, it makes it even better.... :)

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
My puppy is about 4 1/2 months, going on 5 months now... and your pup looks *very* different to mine. Perhaps yours is a late maturer due to living on the streets, but if it is about 4 months and it is a full golden, I would be expecting it to at least be on the way to losing all that fluff. Is he losing his teeth? My pup just lost his last puppy tooth yesterday. He also sounds awfully light for 4 months (for a purebred, my pup was 17kg/37lbs or so at 4 months), even taking into account living on the streets. Life on the streets could be why he hasn't lost any of his puppy fluff yet too, his whole development could be delayed. Or more likely in my opinion (if he is 4 months) he is a cross of some sort and may well keep that cute fluff and be on the small side. I was sad when my pup lost his fluff! He looks like a lab at the moment. :(

I think Aspen does have the look of a mix in the face and ears, but either way, he is just adorable. The idea of some sort of doodle mix is a reasonable guess, but I suppose you may just have to wait and see! Sounds like he needs feeding up too, if he has a short attention span, make sure he gets some high calorie food IMO. A small amount of peanut butter is a good choice, most dogs are into that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts