Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a gift certificate so I decided to order some rescue remedy just to have in hand in case I ever thought it could be useful. It came in the mail today and I put a squirt in Flip's mouth just to see how he would react to it.

OMG, did they send me the wrong stuff or something? I swear my dog (who is already pretty high energy and crazy) has gone totally off the charts. He is running around the room, barking, slamming his body into stuff, it's crazy! If I saw any reaction at all, that is not what I expected it would be!

I love my boy but geez...

·
Kate
21,216 Posts
Oh gosh. o_O

I bought a bottle of that stuff to use the next time we have a storm (and so far, having a bottle of it sitting on my dresser has kept stormy weather far, far away). Now I'm afraid to use it. o_O

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog is a FREAK!!!

ROFL, I was actually thinking maybe I could give it to him before stays to settle him down, but not if this is going to be his reaction! I gave myself a squirt too and I just want to put the dogs up so I can go to bed now...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you get the RR made specifically for pets, or the original? If the original, your dog may be having a reaction to the alcohol-based formula. (The one made for pets doesn't contain alcohol. Both are completely safe.) I use both, depending what I have on hand and the alcohol-based formula usually sends our guys into a tailspin -- so to speak!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had read that some dogs had reactions to the alcohol, but I thought they meant like an allergic reaction or something, not that they went crazy! So was my dog, like, buzzed? That's kinda funny!

·
Registered
96 Posts
No, I don't think so. I've been using RR for years -- years before they even came out with the alcohol-free version. I've seen some dogs run around, rub their heads on the carpet, couch, etc. after you drip or spray it into their mouths, but those "side effects" go away quickly. I've never seen any negative side-effects -- unless, of course, you count "the zoomies." (And, in my experience, either RR works, or it doesn't. You'll know pretty much right away after you give it to your dog.)

Try putting the RR in the drinking water instead of directly into the mouth. A few drops in fresh drinking water -- they shouldn't even notice it.

·
Kate
21,216 Posts
So technically we didn't get too bad a storm... it was a little bit of rain, a lot of steady rumbling from a distance.

It still was enough to scare poor Jacks.

I finally pulled out the rescue remedy bottle that I bought last year.

Very interesting.

He was still pacing back and forth and tried his best to step on my computer which I had to put up high to save it.

But compared to the shaking, digging, clawing, panting, wild-eyed frenzy he normally goes through during a storm...

I would actually have described him as fairly calm.

Right now he is lying right under the window and looking very solemn while he listens to random noises outside the open window.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts