Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Proud Parent
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm asking because I have a rescue golden now, but I haven't decided to rescue or buy from a breeder. There's a lot that goes into the decision.

·
Layla and Bauer's Mommy
151 Posts
Kevin, I am so glad to see you're thinking of getting another baby!!! Are you thinking of getting another Golden? Then, all 4 babies could play! :)

I would think that you could do either- just depends on what your life style at the moment can handle. You're an excellent dog trainer!

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Both my boys were (are) Rescues. Since I am not into showing dogs, or anything that requires all the paperwork clearances etc, I feel that Rescues are for me.

Pros: Ususally an adult dog, puppy madness is over, with many times rescues being young adults due to the time and attention that is required of the breed, many are given up on at that age which in my opinion, is the best, as you get the best years of the dog as your companion with much of the destructive puppy habits being gone. Another pro is that I love being part of saving a Golden's life. I love that I came to his rescue when he needed me.

Cons: past behavior issues that may not be known or show themselves till the dog has been with you awhile, such as separation anxiety, fear aggression, etc. another con would be not knowing a hidden medical condition that the rescue would not have known such as seizures, etc. Most rescues have wonderful Vets that they work with that can diagnose most issues prior to adoption though. One other thing might be lack of training on basic things like leash walking, socialization, and basic commands. With a young adult male like my Tucker we faced many of these challenges, and it was tougher for me to handle him due to his size and power. All that said, the love and reward of owning my boy FAR outways any negatives I can think of. Rescue work is important work, and highly rewarding. Hope this helps! Best of Luck and Welcome to the Forum!

·
Proud Parent
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin, I am so glad to see you're thinking of getting another baby!!! Are you thinking of getting another Golden? Then, all 4 babies could play! :)

I would think that you could do either- just depends on what your life style at the moment can handle. You're an excellent dog trainer!
Haha. Thanks so much! Robbin is really against getting another... for now. I'm starting an internship at the beginning of January at Canine Assistants to work on my dog trainer certification. We'll see how well Percy likes the dog training business. He'll be my partner. If he's not suited for it, I'll look into getting another pup. For now though, I'll focus on making Percy the best dog ever ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sorry, didn't see that you edited your original post. I have had 2 rescues and will continue to support GR rescues, hopefully foster, and still continue to rescue. That said, both of my rescues have been sick. One died at 6 of bone cancer (9 months after I got her) and my current rescue came with behavior problems and a grab bag of health issues to include hip dysplasia. My plan is a puppy next followed later by foster or another rescue. I love rescue and will always support it in one way or another. My heart just needs a break right now.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Well... if you've adopted already and you are into training, you already know the pros and cons to adopting vs buying a puppy from a breeder. ;)

When you purchase a puppy from a breeder, you are choosing the traits, temperament, and trainability of your training partner. My guy's breeder was able to show me a litter that he guaranteed would do very well in obedience. This was back when my guy still looked like some kind of rodent.

When you adopt a puppy or young dog, you tend to get what is available. You may get a dog with the looks and temperament that you want, but lacking that trainability or "flash" that makes training fun for the owner. Or you may get very lucky and get it all.

Either way, it is a personal choice on your part. We purchased all our goldens from breeders. Our collie was adopted. <- We never regreted any of those choices, even the first guy who was a byb.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Have both... 1 from a breeder, 3 from rescue.... I dont have any complaints from either.....2 of 3 from rescue I got as puppies then other one was a year old when I got him.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I adopted Lola last August from a lady who place an ad for rehoming her on Craigs List. Lola was 11 months old and a ball of fire! We have a huge back yard so she is now able to burn off some of her puppy energy. Best thing I ever did was respond to that ad:). She is the light of my life and I feel so fortunate to have gotten the chance to adopt her into our lives.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Tesia is from a breeder. I wanted to know her parents, and know that they had all their health clearances. I had very specific things I was looking for temperment wise. I wanted to raise a puppy so she was raised and trained the way I wanted. I got everything I wanted, and more, from my girl. She has been the best dog in the world.

And she has made me fall in love with older Goldens. So IF I ever get another dog, I will rescue a senior Golden. There is something about an older dog, slowing down, or facing challenges, that just melts my heart. I have no real need to raise a baby puppy again. :eek:

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
My first golden was a dream puppy. I got her from a BYB before I knew what they were. She had a terrific temperament and was not a landshark or a barker or anything. Just a wonderful girl.

My second golden was from a very reputable breeder and was quite a handful. It took awhile to bond with her and I swore I'd never get another puppy again. (She did turn out great though.)

My third golden was from a shelter. Loved her. I lucked out big time with her. Just the best dog ever.

My fourth golden is from a rescue. She has some issues from her puppy mill days, but I love her to death.

I just got my fifth golden from a breeder that does all the health clearances. I forgot I said I'd never get another puppy again! ;) Oh my! It came back to me very quickly after I got him why I said that fourteen years ago. Puppies are cute, but they are a LOT of work and can be exhausting. It's taking awhile to bond with him. That being said, he is in the process of being a great dog. :)

As for the future, I will get adult dogs from either a rescue or shelter. I bonded immediately with both girls I got as adults and they stepped into my home like they had always lived there.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,628 Posts
I adopted both of my goldens at the age of 2. Roxy turns 7 in a few weeks, she was adopted from CFGRR and I found Remy at my County Humane Society, he turns 3 in March I think, not 100% sure about his age. Remy's been with us since March of this year.

I use to help CFGRR with Intakes before they closed down in Jan. of this year, it made me very aware of how many Goldens and other dogs are in need of homes. I will continue to adopt in the future. Rescue dogs are very special, they are truly grateful for each and every day they have, enjoy life to the fullest, and are so appreciate of everything you do for them and give them. Some of them have issues which can be dealt with. Overall, a majority of them do not, they are just in need of a great forever loving home and I am happy to share my life with them.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Deardra was a rescue. I call her a rescue because I rescued her from a parking lot in February. Poor thing had icicles hanging from her. I tried for a month to find the owner, she was dumped. Their loss was my gain. Tucker and Fiona were adopted through individuals, not a shelter or rescue agency. You could say my dogs have "found" me. I never went looking, it was fate.

In your part of the country finding a rescue Golden should be a cinch. Up here it is very difficult, most folks give up and get a puppy. If I went down south and camped out at a high kill shelter I bet I would have a Golden in short order. Chances of finding a Golden at a shelter/pound up here is pretty slim.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
All of my goldens have been from reputable breeders. I absolutely LOVE raising my four legged kids from puppies and training them to fit into our household. By purchasing from reputable breeders, I know the pedigree and the health testing done to reduce the risk of genetic issues popping up.

I have rescued a yellow labrador retriever in the past & he was a wonderful boy but he did come with issues that I was never able to understand. Those issues were that he HATED black dogs, people in uniforms & people of a darker complexion - Asians, East Indians, Afro American
Ty would go into attack mode with any of the above???????? We were able to research a bit on Ty's background & he had been owned by a man of Italian background but what happened, went to Ty's grave with him.

Ty also came to us with a bullet lodged between the skin and the skull and we question whether he'd been shot & left behind as dead because he couldn't hunt - he could not find anything unless he had a visual.
The vet figures that Ty lifted his head to look at the shooter so instead of the bullet entering the brain causing death, the bullet went in on an angle.

Whatever the situation, it caused Ty to have serious issues that we could not get past. Ty did live the remaining 6 years of his life on a lake where he LOVED to swim & boat and was spoilt beyond imagination.

I should note that I applaud those who rescue &/or act as foster parents for those awaiting adoption!

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 2 dogs are rescues, the cocker spaniel with a cleft lip and palate and our Golden that we got from Adopt a Golden Atlanta 3 months ago, both are wonderful dogs and I think in the future we will rescue again.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts