Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine asked me to post the following:

"Here's the situation: I am a volunteer and director at a no-kill animal shelter in the suburbs of Chicago. We recently took in an owner-relinquish of an 11 month old purebred Golden, and feel at this point placing him with a breed-specific rescue is the way to go. He was relinquished by an elderly couple whose adult children gave them a Golden puppy as a gift, but when the pup got big and strong they were no longer able to manage him. (I will refrain from editorializing.) He is a very nice boy, but in the time we have had him, we have come to learn that he was never taught boundaries. In addition to the usual jumping, he is mouthy - but more than just "normal" mouthiness. He will grab onto people's arms, etc., at times firmly enough to cause bruising. This is NOT aggressive behavior, but rather is based on his failure to understand the limits of appropriate play and interactions. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to provide him with the training he needs. And because of his behaviors, we do not consider him appropriate for placement with a family with children or with inexperienced dog owners, but the community we serve consists primarily of adopters in those categories. We therefore believe it is in his best interests to be placed with a Golden rescue. We did test him for resource guarding, and while he was fine with food, he did resource guard with a rawhide, which precluded him from placement with our local Golden rescue (As Good As Gold in Illinois).

So, long story short, I am wondering if there are any Golden rescues within a reasonable transport distance that would be willing to take in a Golden with the limitations I've described. Of course, we recognize that we would need to be part (or all) of the transport process.

If anyone has any thoughts to help out this sweet and friendly but rather undisciplined boy, I would be most grateful for them."

Please contact my friend direct: Sherri Oslick at [email protected]

Thank you! I will also post this on the other rescue thread on the Forum.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
MyMaggie Girl

MyMaggieGirl

Tell Sherri to contact the Golden Ret. rescues in Illinois with the whole story.

www.grca-nrc.org

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I recognize this mouthy behavior. When we brought our Tucker to live with us at nearly 1 year old his breeder told us he was mouthy. They told us everything and his mouthy issue was right in our contract. At times he would grab my arm and at first I was almost intimidated by him, but then I understood what he was doing, let him know his was NOT allowed, and it stopped. This boy did go to training and within a few short months had his CGC.

If this Golden has the same issue, the behavior can be worked on. These dogs are very misunderstood. Please give this a try the next time you are with this dog. When he goes to mouth you, put your hand down by your side and pat his head. What I found was Tucker was insisting he be stroked or paid attention to.

I also remember when he ran in the room the first time I met him. I knew the mouthing problem was workable because if I took my hands away and stopped paying attention to Tucker, he stopped. He only was touched when he wasn't being mouthy. We adore our Tucker.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only GR rescue in Illinois is As Good As Gold and they will not take the dog because of his "issues."

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
The only GR rescue in Illinois is As Good As Gold and they will not take the dog because of his "issues."

Thanks!
This is very sad if the issue is the same as Tucker's was. Tucker really didn't get any training before he came to live with us. From day one at the training center the trainers recognized something wonderful in Tucker and thought he should go on to become a Therapy Dog.

Do you have access to a trainer?

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will pass along these questions to my friend. She is not on GRF but I will mention this to her. Her shelter realizes that this guy has great potential with the right owner and lots of patience, after all he's a Golden!

Thank you.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I will pass along these questions to my friend. She is not on GRF but I will mention this to her. Her shelter realizes that this guy has great potential with the right owner and lots of patience, after all he's a Golden!

Thank you.
I wish I lived closer to you. I would recognize this behavior immediately. There were times I was soooo glad it was February when Tucker came to live with us. It was heavy coat season and I did sometimes feel the force! It was when I decided enough was enough that he stopped. He knew what I expected of him.

It took longer for the behavior to stop with my husband and youngest son. One day DH looked at me and said, "He's grabbing me!" My reply, "Well, if you do nothing and say nothing about it, he is not going to stop!" :uhoh:

He was a big puppy that had no direction. By the way, I paid for Tucker! Found out later that his Dad won BIB at Westminster. I would get another puppy from his breeder. They were great and Tucker turned out great, too.

Tucker only grabbed arms...

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
You can contact Bob at dirksfund.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Mary,

I think that Hotel4Dogs posted about the same big guy and had a pix. He weighs 84 lbs but it appears from that pix that his feet are small and he may just be over weight. Since you have seen him, do you know if that is the case?

Also, the mouthing sounds quite normal for a guy his age and I would hate for that to keep someone from adopting him. Our first golden girl used to grab me on the butt or shake my pant leg ferociously every time I tried to go out the door without her. We worked with her and corrected the behavior and she was a wonderful girl.

As for him protecting his raw hide, from our experience that also is a behavior that can be changed with a little direction and patience. He's just at that onery stage right now. We will pass the word around about this boy. We of course live 20 minutes from the shelter and I don't dare go by to see him. Riley and Jake are probably all that we can handle in the bed at night right now. :p:

Tammy (Kelby's Mom)

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Try PM'ing her Mary. If this dog is anything like Tucker, someone will be very lucky to get him. I know Dirk's has a great trainer.
Kim, we have a dog like that right now that im working with him. I will Pm her. I havent seen the pic of him but will go look for it.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe this IS the same pup that Barb's daughter saw at the shelter. I'm not sure if they work with trainers at this shelter. I am sure with work this guy will turn into a gem. I am forwarding all this info to my friend Sherri. Unfortunately she is out of town this week due to business and she is really swamped with work.

One thing not to worry, this boy will NOT be euthanized. That is for sure!

Thank you everyone.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Dirks fund has offered to take this guy, It's now in Sherri's hand.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone!! My first girl was a mouther but he sounds a bit more forceful but we all know and agree with some work, that can be corrected, just takes the right person to work with him.

My friend Sherri is in touch with Bob at Dirksfund. Hopefully this will work out well for all involved.

I don't know if I mentioned, the shelter A.D.O.P.T. in Naperville, IL is a NO KILL shelter so this guy is safe there, thank goodness.

Thank you thank you everyone ! ! ! !

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Dirk's Fund

Mary and Bob at Dirk's Fund are the most WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!

Please let us know when this boy goes to Dirk's.

I am familiar with A.D.O.P.T. in Naperville, IL. My Sister, Ronnie, adopted her two cats from ADOPT.

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
I have a foster dog right now that is very like the description of this boy. I've had him a month and he is much better, it just takes the proper correction and redirection, and training. They are smart dogs just looking for someone to tell them what to do.

Thanks Mary and Dirks Fund!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
We havent heard anymore from Sherri

1 - 19 of 19 Posts