Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine asked me to post the following:

"Here's the situation: I am a volunteer and director at a no-kill animal shelter in the suburbs of Chicago. We recently took in an owner-relinquish of an 11 month old purebred Golden, and feel at this point placing him with a breed-specific rescue is the way to go. He was relinquished by an elderly couple whose adult children gave them a Golden puppy as a gift, but when the pup got big and strong they were no longer able to manage him. (I will refrain from editorializing.) He is a very nice boy, but in the time we have had him, we have come to learn that he was never taught boundaries. In addition to the usual jumping, he is mouthy - but more than just "normal" mouthiness. He will grab onto people's arms, etc., at times firmly enough to cause bruising. This is NOT aggressive behavior, but rather is based on his failure to understand the limits of appropriate play and interactions. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to provide him with the training he needs. And because of his behaviors, we do not consider him appropriate for placement with a family with children or with inexperienced dog owners, but the community we serve consists primarily of adopters in those categories. We therefore believe it is in his best interests to be placed with a Golden rescue. We did test him for resource guarding, and while he was fine with food, he did resource guard with a rawhide, which precluded him from placement with our local Golden rescue (As Good As Gold in Illinois).

So, long story short, I am wondering if there are any Golden rescues within a reasonable transport distance that would be willing to take in a Golden with the limitations I've described. Of course, we recognize that we would need to be part (or all) of the transport process.

If anyone has any thoughts to help out this sweet and friendly but rather undisciplined boy, I would be most grateful for them."

Please contact my friend direct: Sherri Oslick at [email protected]

Thank you! I will also post this on the other rescue thread on the Forum.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
That makes me so sad. This poor dog is going through all of this because of an ignorant move by humans. :(

Would any bordering state rescues be able to take him in? Would someone foster him and train him? I mean... he isn't even a year old yet, he's still fully trainable. It would just take some time and effort.

:(

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Do they know how he is with other dogs? I'd have to talk it over with Gary... but... I'd be willing to help train him and foster him. We wouldn't be able to afford medical care or food for him, though. That's the only problem. We're tight enough with the two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts