Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copying this post over from my Member Introduction Thread. Wanted to get into a more appropriate forum.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=53288

3 issues. 1) Biggest. She is still digging. Not an issue for returning her. Just trying to figure out the best way to control and/or eliminate the behavior. She never does it while we are with her, only when we leave her outside when away. Never more than a couple of hours (4 on Sunday ... Church). Plenty of toys outside. So not sure if bored or smells something. Hasn't been hot enough. Really don't have a place to put a sand box. Have tried the "bury her poop in it, just dug somewhere else. Plus, that just plugs holes. I want to prevent.
So, I spread cayenne pepper over the areas she had been digging and over some other areas as well. The areas I didn't is where she is still digging. Going to Sam's Club for some bulk Cayenne pepper tomorrow and cover all the garden and flower areas. We will see how it works. Any other ideas. Fencing is an alternative I would rather not do. Crating is also an alternative. But foster mom reported she was terrrified of a crate. Also, it would only be used when we are not at home as she does great at night in a bedroom. And wakes me up to go outside.
2) Mouthing/nibbling. Very trainable. Not an issue really.
3) An 8-year old Chih/Jack Russell mix that is not very happy. A lot of barking and growling (from the Chih/JR) at times that gets Shadow excited, thinking it's play time!! And Shadow wants to play too hard and it scares her. Any ideas here?

Otherwise Shadow gets along wonderfully with others dogs and people, walks well on leash, obeys commands (for the most part), is not food aggressive ... will not even go for food on trays in the family room, and she is very loving and we are very fortunate to have her. She even has her own brand new, homemade raised dog bowl stand.

I couldn't resist. LOL. 9" high.

Thanks for your input and comments.
Dan

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Can she stay in the house when you are gone? Since she is a rescue maybe it brings back bad memories of her previous life. Maybe a frozen kong will help to keep her occupied while you are gone too. Here are some threads with recipes for it.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=46949&highlight=kong+recipes
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=34062&highlight=kong+treats
http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys.php

I think with close supervision and time it will get better with the two of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Carol about leaving Shelby outside for long periods of time. Sometimes we never know what our rescues have endured in their past lives.I know that when I adopted Maddy, with each new day some new horror of her old life was shown to us. Maybe being outside for a long time right now is not right for Shelby.
She is a sweetie! Thank you for giving her a home!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
For the digging, either crate her, get an xpen for in the house if you're concerned about damage when you're gone, or just leave her loose inside. The other option would be to get a small dog run on cement built for her to be safe inside when you're gone. Also up the walks/runs so she's burning off the energy and is tired, less likely she'll dig then. Have you tried her crate at all? She may just not like getting in but do ok otherwise, you could do the bones and such in the crate while you're gone. Might be an idea to try it when you're home too, so it's just part of the routine and not where she's stuck when you leave her.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=53288
For the mouthing, if she's doing it when you're playing with her, freeze and turn your back to her - mouthing = game over. Offer her something to grab instead as well. My girlie has to have 'something' in her mouth or she'll get like that. Welcome to Goldens! :wave:

Give the little dog some 'Shadow free' zones, like the couch, or her own bed - somewhere your little dog can go to that Shadow is not allowed to follow. When she's starting to play rough you can call the little dog to you and have her up on the couch, if Shadow tries to pester her there tell her 'off' or whatever your command is for leave it alone/stop. It shouldn't take both dogs long to figure out how to behave, if your little dog doesn't like being pestered she can hop up on the couch and you can step in as needed. Shadow will learn to respect that as she'll loose her playmate - you may want to see if you can find a bigger dog for Shadow to play with from time to time as well. I know here my 11 year old likes to play to a point, but isn't always as fond of the rough stuff as the two younger dogs. So I'll leave the two goofs out to party by themselves, and they'll go for hours, and are a lot better about not pestering Bender - she does like to play but she's not so into being dragged across the yard like roadkill.

Love the bowl - trying to convince the FIL to build a bed here....

Lana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts