Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have tips on how to find reputable groomers in their area? I’ve heard so many horror stories, and I only want someone who is experienced with breed specific grooming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I usually look up their Facebook page to see photos of the facility and clients. Checking reviews are also extremely helpful. If they fight and argue with people leaving negative reviews that’s usually a bad sign.

I also never leave Goldie at a groomers that doesn’t have a window to see your dog while it’s being groomed. Even if a place seems alright you never know what happens behind closed doors, so transparency is an absolute must.

Be forward with them. Ask them if they have experience with grooming Goldens and what they plan to do. If they seem knowledgeable and answer your questions openly then you won’t likely have a problem. If they seem squirrelly and evasive, take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I do it myself :) it’s cheaper ? but there’s a place in South Florida down where I live that lets us use their grooming tubs and canine blow dryers. I’ve been learning a few tricks to get him groomed like a show dog, so I do his paw grooming and such at home.
In general, I would talk to show breeders in the area to see who they recommend :) most pet store groomers don’t know how to groom a Golden to breed standard

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I try to do it myself lol, it looks ok, but I’ve been wanting to get him groomed more like a show dog. I only do his feet, tail, and ears. He comes from a reputable breeder in Wellington who will do grooming, but they are usually pretty busy. I’d definitely be interested in taking him to a place that lets you use their grooming tubs and blow dryers.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My things are to ask:

1). Would you shave a golden? If they say yes, walk away.
2). Do you use a cage dryer? If yes, walk away.
3). Refer to the groom you want...tidy up, show groom...8 out of 10 had no clue when I used either term.
4). Look at Facebook pics. If they aren’t to your standard or your desire, then not for you.

I contacted like 10 groomers. I ended up with my mobile groomer, who understood and matched everything I wanted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My things are to ask:

1). Would you shave a golden? If they say yes, walk away.
2). Do you use a cage dryer? If yes, walk away.
3). Refer to the groom you want...tidy up, show groom...8 out of 10 had no clue when I used either term.
4). Look at Facebook pics. If they aren’t to your standard or your desire, then not for you.

I contacted like 10 groomers. I ended up with my mobile groomer, who understood and matched everything I wanted.
Thanks for the tips! It’s so hard to find a good groomer for a golden

·
Registered
253 Posts
I try to do it myself lol, it looks ok, but I’ve been wanting to get him groomed more like a show dog. I only do his feet, tail, and ears. He comes from a reputable breeder in Wellington who will do grooming, but they are usually pretty busy. I’d definitely be interested in taking him to a place that lets you use their grooming tubs and blow dryers.
If you’re anywhere near Boynton Beach, see if you can make a trip to INN the Doghouse, that’s where we take him to do our grooming :)

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
If you state where you live, perhaps one of us will know a good groomer who also shows. That's your best way to get a breed ring groom- find someone successful in the breed ring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually look up their Facebook page to see photos of the facility and clients. Checking reviews are also extremely helpful. If they fight and argue with people leaving negative reviews that’s usually a bad sign.

I also never leave Goldie at a groomers that doesn’t have a window to see your dog while it’s being groomed. Even if a place seems alright you never know what happens behind closed doors, so transparency is an absolute must.

Be forward with them. Ask them if they have experience with grooming Goldens and what they plan to do. If they seem knowledgeable and answer your questions openly then you won’t likely have a problem. If they seem squirrelly and evasive, take your business elsewhere.
Thank you for the tips!!

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
I have LOVED learning how to groom Denver myself. I watched videos, got advice here on the forum and just practiced a LOT. Really the only thing that needs to be done routinely are feet, ears and tail. It’s super easy and quick once you get the hang of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
Does anyone have tips on how to find reputable groomers in their area? I’ve heard so many horror stories, and I only want someone who is experienced with breed specific grooming.
I would like to share what I did. Granted, I do not show in the conformation ring. I took a book out of the library, I believe it was called HOW TO GROOM YOUR OWN DOG, it addressed most breeds at the time. It must have been around 1980. And I also learned from a demo given at a club meeting. Not a bad idea if not showing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to share what I did. Granted, I do not show in the conformation ring. I took a book out of the library, I believe it was called HOW TO GROOM YOUR OWN DOG, it addressed most breeds at the time. It must have been around 1980. And I also learned from a demo given at a club meeting. Not a bad idea if not showing.
We’re not showing him, so thank you for the advice!!

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I sent you a PM w 3 email addresses to contact and a suggestion to contact Everglades GRC as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am a professional groomer. I can tell you if you ask a groomer if they have experience grooming goldens, EVERY groomer will say yes because goldens are popular and every groomer grooms them. The difference is, most pet groomers do not know how to show groom-we simply are not taught. Most pet groomers will simply bathe, dry and brush; the better ones will clean up the feet too (though they may be done tighter than a show groom) but don't do anything with the ears. (And many might trim/shave the sanitary area, so if you don't want that trimmed short tell them not to trim it.) Show grooming of any breed takes longer and most pet owners are not willing to pay what that is worth, nor do they care. I taught myself show grooming of goldens by practicing on my own dogs and on clients who were willing to let me use their goldens. Still don't think I groom well enough to actually put them in the show ring, but they look better then most pet grooms anyway. Asking if they will shave a golden is a good start-if they will, run away! I do not agree with cage dryers being a bad thing. I do try to hand dry dogs completely, but there are some dogs who absolutely will NOT tolerate hand drying and the only option to get them dry is a cage dryer; you can't just towel dry and leave them damp-you can't properly groom a damp dog-they must be completely dry (not to mention they will freeze if they are damp and its cold outside, plus dampness creates hot spots and other skin irritations). Don't mention anything to a pet groomer (particularly a chain store type like Petsmart) about trimming or clipping or shaving or you will end up with a bald dog! Bringing a photo of a show dog groomed at a show may be helpful for the better pet groomers-because a good pet groomer will at least TRY even if she has never done it before. As far as owners staying to watch dogs, I get why people want to, but I have found that it often makes an otherwise great dog behave very badly to have their owners around; and dogs that are already nervous about grooming become nearly impossible when their owner is there. So I prefer not to have owners watching. Plus, when I used to groom at a vet clinic, they would not allow owners to be back in the grooming area for liability reasons (like if one of the other dogs were to bite them or something). So just because a groomer won't let you watch doesn't mean they are abusing your dog. If you have a show breeder or handler nearby, sometimes they are willing to groom. Or you could try to learn how to do it yourself. Morningsage goldens has a great tutorial: Morningsage Goldens Grooming

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am a professional groomer. I can tell you if you ask a groomer if they have experience grooming goldens, EVERY groomer will say yes because goldens are popular and every groomer grooms them. The difference is, most pet groomers do not know how to show groom-we simply are not taught. Most pet groomers will simply bathe, dry and brush; the better ones will clean up the feet too (though they may be done tighter than a show groom) but don't do anything with the ears. (And many might trim/shave the sanitary area, so if you don't want that trimmed short tell them not to trim it.) Show grooming of any breed takes longer and most pet owners are not willing to pay what that is worth, nor do they care. I taught myself show grooming of goldens by practicing on my own dogs and on clients who were willing to let me use their goldens. Still don't think I groom well enough to actually put them in the show ring, but they look better then most pet grooms anyway. Asking if they will shave a golden is a good start-if they will, run away! I do not agree with cage dryers being a bad thing. I do try to hand dry dogs completely, but there are some dogs who absolutely will NOT tolerate hand drying and the only option to get them dry is a cage dryer; you can't just towel dry and leave them damp-you can't properly groom a damp dog-they must be completely dry (not to mention they will freeze if they are damp and its cold outside, plus dampness creates hot spots and other skin irritations). Don't mention anything to a pet groomer (particularly a chain store type like Petsmart) about trimming or clipping or shaving or you will end up with a bald dog! Bringing a photo of a show dog groomed at a show may be helpful for the better pet groomers-because a good pet groomer will at least TRY even if she has never done it before. As far as owners staying to watch dogs, I get why people want to, but I have found that it often makes an otherwise great dog behave very badly to have their owners around; and dogs that are already nervous about grooming become nearly impossible when their owner is there. So I prefer not to have owners watching. Plus, when I used to groom at a vet clinic, they would not allow owners to be back in the grooming area for liability reasons (like if one of the other dogs were to bite them or something). So just because a groomer won't let you watch doesn't mean they are abusing your dog. If you have a show breeder or handler nearby, sometimes they are willing to groom. Or you could try to learn how to do it yourself. Morningsage goldens has a great tutorial: Morningsage Goldens Grooming
Thank you!! This is all really great information, and I totally agree that the pet parents staying to watch can cause issues. Gus has never been to a groomer, but he is really attached to me and would probably not be on his best behavior if he saw me through a window?. I just need to find someone that I trust!

·
the party's crashing us
4,188 Posts
Join the Everglades Golden Retriever Club Facebook page and then post asking for someone who show grooms goldens. Most of us show people would love some extra cash for a few hours' worth :)

FWIW I groom as a side job. I have a grooming shop set up in my garage. Here's the thing....
• I have 25+ years' experience grooming Goldens for the show ring. I WILL SHAVE A GOLDEN --- YOU BETCHA. In Florida? With their big stupid show coats that pet people never bargained for? Absolutely. And guess what ---- not a single dog has ever been harmed by shaving them. IT'S HAIR -- IT GROWS BACK.
• I do NOT allow mommy or daddy to stay and watch, help or learn. The dog is always WAY worse behaved when its owner is there. Plus, sometimes I'm grooming more than one dog at a time, so the dog is in a crate, or I get a phone call, etc. I don't come watch you at your job, you don't get to watch me at mine. Besides, five minutes with the drier and shedding golden and the owner is wheezing and begging to leave.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Join the Everglades Golden Retriever Club Facebook page and then post asking for someone who show grooms goldens. Most of us show people would love some extra cash for a few hours' worth :)

FWIW I groom as a side job. I have a grooming shop set up in my garage. Here's the thing....
• I have 25+ years' experience grooming Goldens for the show ring. I WILL SHAVE A GOLDEN --- YOU BETCHA. In Florida? With their big stupid show coats that pet people never bargained for? Absolutely. And guess what ---- not a single dog has ever been harmed by shaving them. IT'S HAIR -- IT GROWS BACK.
• I do NOT allow mommy or daddy to stay and watch, help or learn. The dog is always WAY worse behaved when its owner is there. Plus, sometimes I'm grooming more than one dog at a time, so the dog is in a crate, or I get a phone call, etc. I don't come watch you at your job, you don't get to watch me at mine. Besides, five minutes with the drier and shedding golden and the owner is wheezing and begging to leave.
Thanks so much for the info! I agree that the pet parents shouldn’t watch, I know that my boy would be nervous if he saw me through a window?. I’ll probably never shave him though just because I like the classic golden coat, but I totally see your point

1 - 20 of 21 Posts