Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband and I are looking to add a golden to our family. I’ve wanted a Golden since I was a kid- I had a chocolate lab growing up and she’s loved by everyone in the family. Can anyone share reputable breeders on the Philly side of the state? Willing to drive around to 2 1/2 hrs (approximately) away if necessary. Open to suggestions over that.Thanks so much

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,165 Posts
Welcome!

This thread is an older thread but it has some breeder recommendations in it for PA.

You may want to contact the GR Club in your area for a Breeder referral-

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Yeah they are almost 5 hours from me haha thank you though
Five hours is nothing when looking for a puppy from a reputable breeder. If you expand your search area, you are far more likely to be successful. Several of us here have flown to pick up a puppy from a breeder; others have done 12 hour drives - even two day drives. It really does open up the possibilities.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m flying from Texas to pick up my Hillock puppy in a few weeks! Tammy has been amazing to work with so far. I was on her list for almost a year though. If you decided the five hour drive was worth it, you would want to contact her ASAP because you’ll be waiting some time before getting to bring a puppy home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
If you limit yourself to 2.5 hours you may not find any reputable breeders in that small of an area. Harborview Goldens and Brianne Goldens are in PA. If you truly want a healthy puppy from an ethical reputable breeder, broadening your search area would be wise.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,830 Posts
LoL, I'm n Maryland near both the PA and DE lines (40 min south of the Philly airport) and I drove to Kalamazoo Michigan to get my last 2 pups. That's 10 hours driving each way. Though it was 13 hours back with the frequent puppy stops. There a couple of really good breeders in Western PA but you will probably have a hard time finding a reputable breeder in the Eastern side of the state.i just couldn't find any myself in 2004 and 2017.

Just know that driving 5 hours each way is nothing compared to getting a well bred puppy.

Harborview is a pretty good one but a drive if willing to travel some, here is their site...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sunbolyn is in Fleetwood. I believe when I finally heard from Lenape Golden Retriever Club in 2018 (after I had already decided on a breeder/friend for life in Pittsburgh) they were the only people on the list at the time.

Highlight golden retriever in Harrisburg area

I drove four hours for both my girls (I’m outside Hbg) and wouldn’t ever have let time/distance deter me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also live in Philadelphia. I was really committed to getting a golden puppy from a very reputable, ethical breeder-- which is especially hard because Pennsylvania is a hotbed of puppy mills. I definitely recommend doing research about what you should look for in a reputable breeder, and contacting the local clubs. You should also be willing to wait, as really good breeders only do a few breeding's per year, and often have waitlists. All that being said, we are getting our puppy from Cheryl Dunkin of Laurelridge Goldens in Maryland sometime within the year. She has been very polite, responsive, and by recommendations on this site and elsewhere, she is by all accounts a very responsible breeder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts