Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a nice conversation with a breeder that came with a good recommendation and then learned that she has two new litters. Is this a red flag to any one else? I am now concerned.

Also, in one of the dog's clearances, it listed an eye problem (distichiasis) so, does this mean that that the dog does not have eye clearance? I looked on other threads in this forum and it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker, but she shouldn't she disclose it? Is it fair to say the dog has its' clearances, even though that is listed?

This is only my second day of full out searching and I'm exhausted!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Two litters are not necessarily a cause for alarm. My breeder, a highly respected breeder, had two litters at the time I got Max. She only breeds two or so litters a year, from what I've noticed.
Backyard breeders, breeders with no health clearances or breeders with several litters at the same time all the time would be ones to avoid.

·
Registered
869 Posts
No, having two litters at a time is not neccessarily a red flag. As breeders, we do not have control over when the girls come in season and many times, the girls tend to come in season together. So, if both are aging, or you have plans for showing, etc somtimes it is neccessary to breed them both. Another issues is a long waiting list and sometimes a breeder will breed 2 girls in case one does not take. It is totally how the puppies are being raised.

As to distichia, yes, the dog still has an eye clearance. This is considered a breeder's option in goldens and rarely ever causes the dog a problem. Years ago, the optho's didn't have to be so picky but now, CERF has been telling the opthos the past 10 years or so that if there is ONE extra eye lash, it is to be noted as distichia on the exam form. The only issue is if there is a whole row of them that would possibly cause tearing with the eyes. This usually is not the case with goldens-they usually have 1-3 extra eye lashes and they don't cause the dog a problem.

Just to head off the next question......breeder's option is still passing and believed not to be hereditary. There are tons of things that can be listed with a dogs eyes and many of them cause no problems and the optho's do not believe to be a hereditary nature so they are listed as breeder's option. Most of these dogs are bred because we cannot afford to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Our gene pool is a small one, believe it or not, because all the dogs descend back to one pair.

Every year, the opthos look at the CERF exam forms to see if any trends are forming and anything needs to be changed in regard to breeding guidelines. Distichia have been around for eons and there have been no changes made to them in the CERF guidelines. The CERF guidelines also vary from breed to breed and what may be considered a breeder's option in one breed, will not pass in another.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Also, in one of the dog's clearances, it listed an eye problem (distichiasis) so, does this mean that that the dog does not have eye clearance? I looked on other threads in this forum and it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker, but she shouldn't she disclose it? Is it fair to say the dog has its' clearances, even though that is listed?
I am no expert on distichiasis so I won't comment on that. The dog would still have clearances if there's a "breeder's option". In regards to disclosing it, however, I wouldn't necessarily turn the other way if she didn't directly disclose it to you. I would start a conversation about her breeding plans - what is she trying to accomplish - and throw something in about her opinions on breeder's options since you have noticed that there is one listed. I would look for someone who would openly discuss this with you and appreciate your interest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am no expert on distichiasis so I won't comment on that. The dog would still have clearances if there's a "breeder's option". In regards to disclosing it, however, I wouldn't necessarily turn the other way if she didn't directly disclose it to you. I would start a conversation about her breeding plans - what is she trying to accomplish - and throw something in about her opinions on breeder's options since you have noticed that there is one listed. I would look for someone who would openly discuss this with you and appreciate your interest.

Good luck!
The OP has already stated that she is aware of the distichia. I don't understand why you would advise the OP to pretend they are not aware of this information? I am personally more than happy to answer any questions that someone may have and I believe this to be true of anyone that is a reputable breeder. However, I don't bring up every thing that has ever happened in the dogs life. I usually send a link to the clearances listed on the OFA website and if there are questions, I am more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
And especially about an extra eye lash...I do not think I would even mention that because (to me) that is not a big deal at all!! And it is disclosed on the cerf (out there for anyone to see).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all SO much!! I can not tell you how much you have put me at ease about this. There is so much information to take in, and when you don't understand it, it can be a bit overwhelming. Especially when it comes to adding a new family member! Thank you all for taking the time to explain things to me!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thank you all SO much!! I can not tell you how much you have put me at ease about this. There is so much information to take in, and when you don't understand it, it can be a bit overwhelming. Especially when it comes to adding a new family member! Thank you all for taking the time to explain things to me!

There is a ton of information to take in and it certainly can be VERY overwhelming, but that is what we are all here for. I tell people that your dog is the only family member you get to chose, so chose wisely! ;)

Good luck in your search and be sure to post new photos when you get your new addition!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts