Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Reputable Breeder Near Westchester County, NY or Long Island

1663 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  viclovespuppies
Hi all - quick background:
My girlfriend and I have been searching for a breeder match for about a year and a half now. I am always skeptical about the breeders that get back to quickly and say they have puppies available and also won't provide me health clearances "until I go pick up the puppy". These are all out.

I have also reached out to some breeders that are reputable and have everything we want, but have 3 year waiting lists... To me that's a little bit crazy especially since we've been looking for over a year now.

Our goal would be to have a puppy by the beginning of 2022 or even around Feb 2022. If anyone has any contacts they can provide me that may be a good match for us around the Westchester, NY area that would be amazing. We are of course also willing to drive 3-4 hours but just wanted to tell you where we lived.

Some info about us incase it helps:
  • I'm 27 and my girlfriend is 25
  • We live in Yorktown Heights, NY on 2 acres of land that is fenced
  • I work from home full time and my girlfriend will be working in the office 3 days a week starting in October
  • My girlfriend grew up with a Golden/Husky mix
  • We are looking for a typical American Golden Retriever with the yellowish gold coat - but not really being picky here but just putting that out there.

Thank you all for everything!
We really look forward to soon joining the golden community.

Jake
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,841 Posts
You might want to open your search up to the whole east coast. You can fly in to get puppy, and bring home under seat in a sherpa bag.
Also, and it may be 'just me' in the breeder arena who feels this way, I would suggest only one of you be the primary- I never sell puppies to unmarried couples jointly.

Reactions: buckeyegoldenmom

· Kristy
11,037 Posts
Jake if you are ready for a full time, long term project, you sound like a great home for a Golden. You're in an area which is known for greater demand than supply for carefully bred Goldens. I strongly suggest that you expand your search to the entire eastern US and look into places you can get direct flights. Start a savings account specifically for a weekend getaway (airfare, hotel, rental car) to go pick up the puppy and treat it like a mini vacay when the time would comes to pick him up. This is EXACTLY what my best friend from high school is doing. She lost her beloved Golden to cancer in the spring, wait times in CA where she lives are similar to your area. I started helping her and she lucked into a puppy from a litter that she only had to wait a couple of months for - she and her daughter are flying to Atlanta next weekend from San Diego and I'm so excited to be spending the weekend in Atlanta with them and then we are going to pick up her puppy on Sunday and he will fly back with her to CA as carry on. I have flown a Golden twice and it is very easy. This spring my daughter and I flew to Chicago to pick up her Pointer puppy from an IL breeder and he was too tall to fit as carry on so we rented a car and drove home to Charlotte, NC. I actually find it less stressful to fly than to drive 14 hours :)

Use the search feature on this page and see what you can do looking for breeders outside New England. If you search "breeder Florida" or "breeder Atlanta, GA" it can bring up previous threads and you can make lists off what you find. Try to ask any recommended breeder for suggestions on people they know and respect who may be planning a litter, word of mouth is helpful. Sometimes a breeder doesn't have puppies but they have a friend who has used their stud dog to sire a litter and they are helping that person find puppy homes. (this is how I found my friend's puppy rather quickly) Go to the GRCA.org website and find Golden retriever specialty shows in your area where you can potentially meet people showing Goldens and talk to them about who they would suggest. The puppy referral people with regional golden clubs can also be helpful.

While you're waiting, start researching obedience training clubs and ideas of what you're going to do with your Golden to keep him challenged and busy. They do best if you have a training plan and a game in mind - they will make their own game if you don't direct them and you probably won't like that. Investigate Retriever training groups, Tracking and Nosework classes, Dockdiving, obedience and agility etc. All things you might enjoy the people and it will keep your Golden active and with a sense of purpose.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jake if you are ready for a full time, long term project, you sound like a great home for a Golden. You're in an area which is known for greater demand than supply for carefully bred Goldens. I strongly suggest that you expand your search to the entire eastern US and look into places you can get direct flights. Start a savings account specifically for a weekend getaway (airfare, hotel, rental car) to go pick up the puppy and treat it like a mini vacay when the time would come to pick him up. This is EXACTLY what my best friend from high school is doing. She lost her beloved Golden to cancer in the spring, wait times in CA where she lives are similar to your area. I started helping her and she lucked into a puppy from a litter that she only had to wait a couple of months for - she and her daughter are flying to Atlanta next weekend from San Diego and I'm so excited to be spending the weekend in Atlanta with them and then we are going to pick up her puppy on Sunday and he will fly back with her to CA as carry on. I have flown a Golden twice and it is very easy. This spring my daughter and I flew to Chicago to pick up her Pointer puppy from an IL breeder and he was too tall to fit as carry on so we rented a car and drove home to Charlotte, NC. I actually find it less stressful to fly than to drive 14 hours :)

Use the search feature on this page and see what you can do looking for breeders outside New England. If you search "breeder Florida" or "breeder Atlanta, GA" it can bring up previous threads and you can make lists off what you find. Try to ask any recommended breeder for suggestions on people they know and respect who may be planning a litter, word of mouth is helpful. Sometimes a breeder doesn't have puppies but they have a friend who has used their stud dog to sire a litter and they are helping that person find puppy homes. (this is how I found my friend's puppy rather quickly) Go to the GRCA.org website and find Golden retriever specialty shows in your area where you can potentially meet people showing Goldens and talk to them about who they would suggest. The puppy referral people with regional golden clubs can also be helpful.

While you're waiting, start researching obedience training clubs and ideas of what you're going to do with your Golden to keep him challenged and busy. They do best if you have a training play and a game in mind - they will make their own game if you don't direct them and you probably won't like that. Investigate Retriever training groups, Tracking and Nosework classes, Dockdiving, obedience and agility etc. All things you might enjoy the people and it will keep your Golden active and with a sense of purpose.

Thanks so much for this! We actually love long car rides so this is actually a great suggestion. Will absolutely expand the search.

· Premium Member
2,758 Posts

· Murphy's mom
1,104 Posts
I would also suggest you broaden your search. I found my latest golden pup by doing just that and by contacting the "puppy referral person" in all the GRCA clubs in my state and all surrounding states. Some have really good puppy referral people and some don't. I found a couple who were really helpful and steered me to breeders who might have availability sooner rather than later. I know they are always busy and so appreciate when they seem to go above and beyond to help future puppy buyers! I think Sue McGavic in Lousiville is one of the best I have run across as a puppy referral person. She has helped me find my last two goldens and helped my daughter find her golden pup!

i also must have written emails to 25 different breeders even asking if they had suggestions if they were not taking any more people on their wait list. And I checked out all the local conformation shows for breeders. Be patient and be persistent. I ended up finding a breeder/ pro-handler who lives 6 hours from me with an extra female. Some one ended up backing out. All clearances and I loved that she was a breeder and that she handled showing her dogs and dogs for other breeders.

Best of luck to you on your search!

· Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I'm in Orange County, so not far from you. We wound up with a dog from a hobby breeder upstate who is associated with some more established breeding programs. I'd suggest reaching out to the puppy referral rep from the Northeastern NY Golden Retriever Club. Also try the Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club. There are some great breeders in our area and upstate who conform to the breed standard and do all the health testing, but there are also some other breeders upstate who are running larger operations and are really prominent on social media (who you'll see mentioned in a lot of Facebook Golden Retriever groups). Those breeders don't seem to be doing consistent health testing. There are some Connecticut-based breeders, too, that are part of the Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I'm in Orange County, so not far from you. We wound up with a dog from a hobby breeder upstate who is associated with some more established breeding programs. I'd suggest reaching out to the puppy referral rep from the Northeastern NY Golden Retriever Club. Also try the Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club. There are some great breeders in our area and upstate who conform to the breed standard and do all the health testing, but there are also some other breeders upstate who are running larger operations and are really prominent on social media (who you'll see mentioned in a lot of Facebook Golden Retriever groups). Those breeders don't seem to be doing consistent health testing. There are some Connecticut-based breeders, too, that are part of the Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club.
Thanks for the info! If you can provide any information for that breeder that would be amazing!
I've gone through the puppy referral and they may just be taking a bit to get back to me. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.