Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buffy and I had our first upland hunts last week.

First a trip to state land. We went out about 2:00 PM and went through an area that gets pounded hard. Buffy managed to put up two cockbirds. Trees prevented my shots.

Second, a trip to a shooting preserve that gave us an opportunity to shoot pheasants and chukars. Highlight of the day was when I dropped a chukar that fell into a fast moving stream. Buffy swam down stream, got the bird, and had about a 60 yard swim back upstream. And she didn't get out of the stream---she swam all the way back.

I plan to go jump shooting ducks this week.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Sounds like a successful time & a great meal ; Go Buffy!!

Reactions: gdgli

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I should add that there was another highlight. My son hunted with me and he did some good shooting. He was too young to remember hunting over my last golden, a dog out of FC-AFC Mioak's Main Event. (Friends still talk about my dog, Dasher.) I hope to give him some good memories.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
How fun, it is so cool you were able to go with your son.

Reactions: gdgli

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How fun, it is so cool you were able to go with your son.
When I go with my son, it's not about the hunting anymore. We can have a great time in the outdoors and we are away from the distractions of our life in the city. I have to add that it was great to have him see the fruits of my labor. He was truly in awe of Buffy's water work and perhaps now he understands his dad a little more. (You know how kids can be.)

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Wish we could bring our boy for hunting sometime soon.
If you continue training with our group I am sure that you will have the chance. Although most are training for Hunting Tests and WC/WCX, there are 7 or 8 of us that do hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts