Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week after we brought my golden puppy home, she got a sever case of gastroenteritis. She was on antibiotics for about 2 weeks after this. This cleared up, and a few days later, she had symptoms of a UTI. We got her cultured, and she was put on a low dosage of Clavamox for 10 days (low dosage because she was so small). Symptoms cleared up, and about 3 days after finishing her antibiotics, she infection returned (same bacteria was found in culture).

She finished another round of Clavamox (higher dosage) for 10 days. It is now about 5 days later, and her symptoms are back. We started her on a 14 day supply of Baytrill, recommended by her breeder.

Has this happened to anyone before in such a young puppy or any age golden? She does not seem to be in much pain at all. Her symptoms include VERY frequent urination (can go about 5 times in 10 minutes), and a little blood in her urine.

It has been frustrating to say the least, especially because it has been interfering with her potty training.

Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar, or if you have any suggestions. Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,628 Posts
Honey had a few UTI's when I first brought her home at 16 months. I was her second owner because the first owner passed away. I contacted her breeder and she recommended Natures Farmacy Dogzymes Cran-Tri-C. I have her and my male on it once a day (powder). Neither have had any UTI's since.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A cranberry supplement would be a great idea with her. Could you elaborate on her urinalysis results? Were there crystals in her urine? The use of Baytril in a growing puppy can cause joint cartilage erosions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need to seek out a Holistic Veterinarian and meanwhile supplement with cranberry. Your puppy may not be doing well on a big commercial processed pet food diet and needs healthy food for a healthy body.

If Any time my Golden starts a frequent urination, I get out the cranberry supplements and in about 4 hours, the UTI frequent urination is over, but I will treat her with cranberry supplement for 7 days to make sure it is gone. Cranberry also works for cats and humans too.

Now that she has been on healthy food and does not get any big commercial over processed pet food, she rarely gets a UTI. But I have the cranberry for any signs of frequent urination.

Cranberry supplements are a must have to keep in your pet cabinet.

Hope this helps.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Could also be the food... what are you feeding her?

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are some congential abnormalities that can trap urine and create uti's. My first thought would be 1) treatment was not with a high enough dose or for long enough, or 2) this bacteria is resistant to clavamox.

Diet certainly can play a role, and, if it's e.coli, you might want to look at using some d-mannose.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
It could also be as simple as - she is re-infecting herself. Shala had a UTI when she was 9 weeks old. It was super hot and humid at the time (like, the air was just dripping) and the vet said her fur was just getting and staying a bit wet underneath when she peed - and in the humidity, was a breeding ground for bacteria that was just travelling right back in and up her urinary tract. So when she was treated with Clavamox (after testing positive), the vet also trimmed the fur underneath (just the tiny area that would get wet). The UTI cleared up with one round of antibiotics and didn't come back). Might be worth a try?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts