Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am looking at a puppy from Rensselaer Golden Retrievers and Golden Gals in Connecticut. Does anyone have any information or experience with them?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
posting the planned sire x dam registered names will get a check from someone as to correct clearances. You should always, always check w an independent source no matter what you are told by a breeder or reference. For example- the darling puppies pictured on the Golden Gals site? Neither sire nor dam has clearances- they are not old enough, either of them.. so for that reason, I would suggest not looking at those cute photos one more minute, and continue searching for a litter whose breeder cares about the breed enough to be covering bases w clearances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all I am looking at a puppy from Rensselaer Golden Retrievers and Golden Gals in Connecticut. Does anyone have any information or experience with them?
From everything I've read and researched, golden gals is reputable breeder. I went to see puppies and pick mine up in 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
From everything I've read and researched, golden gals is reputable breeder. I went to see puppies and pick mine up in 2 weeks.

I would not consider them to be reputable. The sire of their current litter isn't 2 until later this week. He can't have OFA hip or elbow certifications before 2.

·
Kate
20,434 Posts

The current litter they are sending pups home on 4/28.... the dad isn't old enough to have full clearances. And yah, they are pitching stud service on him (and saying he has all the "correct" tests and certifications) so it's not like it was an accidental breeding.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
From everything I've read and researched, golden gals is reputable breeder.
A reputable breeder would be one who follows the health certification standards of the country they live in. http://cdn.akc.org/Marketplace/Health-Statement/Golden-Retriever.pdf Also as a image below.

This breeder is not a reputable breeder. It is clear that money is the motivation. They are a commercial kennel, it is focused on profit at the expense of ethical decisions. Large amounts of dogs, not having the health certifications they should in the us and doing nothing with the dogs other than making puppies paired with the astronomical price would be a never recommend from me.

$2500 or maybe less would get you a puppy from parents with full and verifiable health certifications, full and verifiable health certifications for several generations and parents that have proven their quality and Golden Retriever traits in competition. Instead this breeder offers incomplete health certifications and dogs with no proven qualities in competition and lots with fairly empty pedigrees where “Champions” are generations back.

I am glad you are excited about your puppy. There are certainly worse places to buy. I hope that you get lucky where this breeder is cutting corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
A reputable breeder would be one who follows the health certification standards of the country they live in. http://cdn.akc.org/Marketplace/Health-Statement/Golden-Retriever.pdf Also as a image below.

This breeder is not a reputable breeder. It is clear that money is the motivation. They are a commercial kennel, it is focused on profit at the expense of ethical decisions. Large amounts of dogs, not having the health certifications they should in the us and doing nothing with the dogs other than making puppies paired with the astronomical price would be a never recommend from me.

$2500 or maybe less would get you a puppy from parents with full and verifiable health certifications, full and verifiable health certifications for several generations and parents that have proven their quality and Golden Retriever traits in competition. Instead this breeder offers incomplete health certifications and dogs with no proven qualities in competition and lots with fairly empty pedigrees where “Champions” are generations back.

I am glad you are excited about your puppy. There are certainly worse places to buy. I hope that you get lucky where this breeder is cutting corners.
In the State of CT if a dog breeder has more than 2 litters a year they need to have a license, I can't find a license for the Golden Gals on their state license search. They have had at least 3 if not 4 litters in a year any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the State of CT if a dog breeder has more than 2 litters a year they need to have a license, I can't find a license for the Golden Gals on their state license search. They have had at least 3 if not 4 litters in a year any thoughts?
They charge $2500 a puppy shouldn't there be a license on file?

·
Registered
1 Posts
stay away!! from golden gals - they just sold me a puppy with *kennel cough* and *giardia* and *some other "uncommon" bacteria in the stool*. when informed of this, the owner said if i was unhappy i could bring the puppy back. why would i bring her back to such an uncaring/unhealthy place? our vet is currently treating the puppy - she is in good hands now.
Rick Retter
sherman CT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to second Rick's post. I picked my pup up from the golden gals Sep. 16, so our dogs are probably from the same litter. He has had chronic, worsening diarrhea since we got him. He has been diagnosed with giardiasis but isn't improving with treatment. Do you happen to know the name of the "uncommon" bacteria that was found in your dog's stool? Our vet hasn't been able to find anything else to explain his symptoms

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
After much digging around to find out "where" my newest dog, Teddy, has come from, I found out he's from GoldenGals in Connecticut. After finding out that information I searched this forum for GoldenGals and read the not so great reviews. We got Teddy this past June and he was 20 months old at the time. It was thru no fault of his own that he lost his previous home... it was sad circumstances and the family was devastated as they also had to rehome their other dog (not a golden retriever).

I can honestly say I don't know his health when they originally got him but he's been very healthy since coming into our home. He is gorgeous, smart and so willing to learn. He didn't have much in the way of obedience training and pulled like a sled dog on the leash but we've been working at home and in obedience class and he's come leaps and bounds. He's currently in a Rally Obedience class.

I'm so sorry to hear of the negative experiences folks have had with their puppies. I'm sure I'll be told to be sure I have insurance on him - which I don't. All of my dogs with the exception of my 12 yr old girl have been rescues from previous homes and I haven't had insurance.

I love this dog to the moon and back and he fit in so well with my two resident females (12 yrs and 6 yrs).

Here is a photo of my handsome boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I'm of the opinion that any breeder who doesn't take back a 20 mo or 20 week or 20 year old dog is not good from that standpoint alone. Glad he is healthy and happy and with you but where was this breeder in all the 'placing' of the household's dogs?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm of the opinion that any breeder who doesn't take back a 20 mo or 20 week or 20 year old dog is not good from that standpoint alone. Glad he is healthy and happy and with you but where was this breeder in all the 'placing' of the household's dogs?
I don't know how or why but evidently the family elected to rehome as opposed to going back to the breeder. As I'd mentioned, I didn't know where he'd originally come from till 3-4 months after the fact that he'd become mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Goldengals, has been breeding dogs underage and without full clearances per the Golden Retriever Club of America Code of Ethics for years. Many long time standing golden breeders have tried to educate them and help direct them but it all continues to fall on deaf ears. They do not stand behind their breeding program and sale unhealthy puppies over and over again. No support with their owners too. I am in CT and from time to time run into dogs they have produced too or have owners of their dogs reach out to me either for a new puppy or support and direction. Many have expressed HD and worse issues to me. I also continue to research their pedigrees and breeding dogs to see if they are changing their ways which they are not. Now they are bringing in their own stud dogs as they are finding no one will breed to their bitches to produce puppies for $$$$. They continue to not know where their puppies or adult rehomed dogs end up too.

I have not heard about the other breeder the OP is asking about.

There are much other breeders in CT that are much better like, Broadway, Golden Joy, Abalee, Foxrun, Goldengrams and there is more depending on what you are looking for. Always research pedigrees and clearances.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It's a shame for sure. As mentioned earlier in my post, after finally finding out "where" he was purchased from after a few months of owning him, I looked up GoldenGals on this forum and was less then thrilled with what I read. However, he was already in my possession and he wasn't going anywhere. I consider him a rescue of sorts since I didn't get him directly from GoldenGals but from the original owner. All of my dogs have been, with the exception of my 12 yr old girl, rescues that were originally bred in puppy mills out of Missouri.

From the previous vet records I did receive, I do not see any red flags noted such a giardia, etc., etc. He's a fabulous dog and I'm hoping he doesn't end up with any serious health issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts