Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to mom today, Apparently what our old Golden died of was renal failure. I've seen tons on heart and cancer, but just how common is renal failure... He was 12.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I don't know that renal failure is generally all that common, but at age 12, something is going to give out eventually. One of the common causes of renal failure around here is Lyme Disease, and Goldens do seem to be predisposed to this type of renal failure. The worst of it is, you may never know your dog had Lyme Disease, or you may think you treated it, and then your dog has Lyme mediated renal failure :( My vet recommends testing kidney function on dogs who test positive for Lyme Disease, and keeping an eye on it long term.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
I agree with Tahnee

I agree with Tahnee that when dogs get older, something is going to give out, and my Samoyed, female, Munchkin, had Renal Failure at age 11 or 12 and we chose to put her to sleep before she was in pain.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I lost both Tucker and Brandy (in my signature) to renal failure. They were diagnosed about 6 months apart. I suspect a farmer sprayed something on the field next door to us without telling anyone and when the dogs were out playing I think it caused their problem. If I only knew then what I know now. I freak out whenever they spray our fields (we are surrounded by farm ground) even when DH assures me it is safe, I make sure they do not go near the fields for at least a couple days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our lab died 6 months ago of renal failure. She was 13. Our vet told us that renal failure is a very common cause of death in elderly dogs. I also found a lot of info on the internet pretty much stating the same thing.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I lost a 17 year old shih tzu and a 8 year old Himilayan to renal failure. It can be caused by poisoning and genetic defects too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts