Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. I'd just like to announce that as of yesterday, our fur family has grown by one. We are again back up to 3 golden retrievers. Due to very unfortunate circumstances this beautiful sweet boy needed a new home. We met with the owners and the dog yesterday (without my dogs) and we were very comfortable agreeing to take him.

I obviously wondered how our two females - Remy (12 yrs old) and Chloe (soon to be 6 yrs old), would accept another dog, especially a male, as I've always had just females. Everything went great, so he's definitely a keeper and staying with us. We will be renaming him as hubby and rest of family don't like his current name. I'm not averse to it but gotta make everyone happy, especially hubby, since he was happy with two dogs.

He is 19 months old and unneutered. Neuter will be done soon per the previous owners request.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm glad the family vote was unanimous. He's a handsome boy, congratulations.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He came home Sunday and we are at Tuesday. So far, so good. He's acclimating pretty well. He did a lot of pacing Sunday nite even though he had a great time running the yard with my 6 yr golden. He gets crated at times during the day when he gets overly wound up, and of course, he gets crated at night. He does very well.

I always thought my girl Chloe was non-stop action but she does have an off switch. This boy is 100% energy and he's very strong. His manners need work. He'll sit and down but "stay" goes in one ear and out the other. Not too bad on the leash, but we are working on leash manners.

I'm still waiting on vaccine history as well as microchip information from previous owners.

I'm definitely used to females as opposed to males. He is a needy, clingy boy but I don't mind- so are my two females.

So far, he's a keeper. Who am I kidding? lol He is a definite keeper.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,363 Posts
It usually takes a dog a little while to get comfortable and settled in to new surroundings, new people and new dogs. Some adjust right away while others it may take time, each dog is different. He will probably become less needy as he becomes more comfortable.

My first golden was a male, my current one is too. I had a golden girl in between them. I always wanted a girl and was finally able to adopt one. She was an absolute sweetheart, but these boys are just something else..........

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. I'd just like to announce that as of yesterday, our fur family has grown by one. We are again back up to 3 golden retrievers. Due to very unfortunate circumstances this beautiful sweet boy needed a new home. We met with the owners and the dog yesterday (without my dogs) and we were very comfortable agreeing to take him.

I obviously wondered how our two females - Remy (12 yrs old) and Chloe (soon to be 6 yrs old), would accept another dog, especially a male, as I've always had just females. Everything went great, so he's definitely a keeper and staying with us. We will be renaming him as hubby and rest of family don't like his current name. I'm not averse to it but gotta make everyone happy, especially hubby, since he was happy with two dogs.

He is 19 months old and unneutered. Neuter will be done soon per the previous owners request.
He sure is handsome. I wish we could have a situation like this-you don't have do deal with all the puppy crazies-just the crazier teenage stuff! Oh, and congratulations!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It usually takes a dog a little while to get comfortable and settled in to new surroundings, new people and new dogs. Some adjust right away while others it may take time, each dog is different. He will probably become less needy as he becomes more comfortable.

My first golden was a male, my current one is too. I had a golden girl in between them. I always wanted a girl and was finally able to adopt one. She was an absolute sweetheart, but these boys are just something else..........
I've always had females and absolutely love them. This is my first male golden. All of my friends were stunned that I got a boy. My friends keep telling me that I will love the boy, which I do.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He sure is handsome. I wish we could have a situation like this-you don't have do deal with all the puppy crazies-just the crazier teenage stuff! Oh, and congratulations!
It's been quite a while since I had an actual puppy. My last young pup would be Remy who just turned 12. We got Chloe at 6-1/2 months from a horrible situation.

This pup is a definite crazy teenager but I'm a good judge of dogs and know he'll end up perfect, he's already partly there!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been a month since "Teddy" became ours. He's an absolute joy. He fit in so well with my two girls. I just need to be sure my older girl, Remy, doesn't get knocked over during Chloe and Teddy play sessions.

Here they are wishing everyone a happy and safe July 4th.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Peri29, I think he's a handsome fella, but I may be biased.

·
Ann
384 Posts
Gorgeous dogs all three. What a handsome fella. After 3 females we’ve decided to get males and have/had 3. Currently we have Lincoln, 11 years old in August, and Bear 1 year old in a few days. These brothers are so close and are always together whether playing, sleeping or just hanging out. I loved our females but we’re a male golden family now. What’s the saying, “a female dog loves you...a male dog is IN love with you.” Good luck with your trio. Love the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gorgeous dogs all three. What a handsome fella. After 3 females we’ve decided to get males and have/had 3. Currently we have Lincoln, 11 years old in August, and Bear 1 year old in a few days. These brothers are so close and are always together whether playing, sleeping or just hanging out. I loved our females but we’re a male golden family now. What’s the saying, “a female dog loves you...a male dog is IN love with you.” Good luck with your trio. Love the pics.
I've always had females and preferred them over males. All of my friends were shocked I got a male. I've got to say, he's a lover. All 62lbs plop on my lap every night much to the dismay of my girls. Teddy and Chloe are attached at the hips. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the photo of them and I'm so glad he has fit into your family so well!
I'm beyond thrilled with this boy. The first meeting was done individually with Remy and Chloe. I was blown away at how excited they were to meet him. The introductions went perfectly.

The photo taking was hilarious. Remy is great with "props", Chloe is okay, Teddy kept moving his head so the glasses would slide off his snout, so I decided he could just sit with the patriotic collar attachment and the hard work would be done by Remy. lol

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the lapdog antics too. There's nothing like it. I don't think they realize their sizes or weight. haha

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More up to date photos of the Three Stooges.

Since getting Teddy this past June at 19-20 months of age, he has proven to be a sweet, smart, and silly dog. We are still working on leash manners. When out and about he can be a strong and powerful puller and with my current back/health issues, I don't want to get pulled down or hurt. He gets along fabulously with my two females. They are totally exhausted every night from their playing.

Unfortunately, the previous owners never came thru for me as far as providing any paperwork of where Teddy came from. They told me they'd provide it, but after numerous attempts at contacting them, to no avail, I've given up. I was lucky to get the vaccine records, which showed he was not up to date nor was his microchip every registered. He's now up to date with vaccines and microchip is registered.

Searching his microchip info and knowing there were six pups in the litter, I reached out to two owners with microchip #'s that could indicate they'd be littermates, and they are also golden retrievers, but I never got any responses. So, I guess I'll never know where my beautiful boy came from.

Top photo is Chloe and Teddy
Bottom photo is Remy, Chloe, Teddy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts