Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here! I have been in a search for a reliable and experienced breeder since December.

I am an occupational therapist seeking a quality American (not English cream) Golden to train as a therapy dog to work with me at the nursing home I am employed in. I am from Fort Wayne, Indiana and willing to travel surrounding states.

Preferably, I would like a Golden this year but I am willing to wait until next year.

I am looking for DNA testing, OFA clearances up to date from 2020, NCL testing, heart and eyes check, and k-9 pedigrees.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,488 Posts
Welcome!

Here is thread with recommendations for MW Breeders-

·
Registered
164 Posts
Harvestimekennel.com in Wisconsin is a great breeder! We got our 12 week old Jackson from her and he is pretty much a perfect puppy! She trains, shows and has been a long time breeder who knows how to produce healthy pups. All her dogs have all the OFA clearances as well as the other tests, and she comes highly recommended. I plan to get another Harvestime pup when Jackson is a bit older. Her list is currently closed, but she will reopen in June and has several breedings planned. I am aware of several of her dogs that have gone on to be therapy dogs. If Jackson is suitable for that kind of work when he is old enough we plan to train him for that. Deb's dogs have fantastic pedigrees, and she is a dream to work with. Check out her website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harvestimekennel.com in Wisconsin is a great breeder! We got our 12 week old Jackson from her and he is pretty much a perfect puppy! She trains, shows and has been a long time breeder who knows how to produce healthy pups. All her dogs have all the OFA clearances as well as the other tests, and she comes highly recommended. I plan to get another Harvestime pup when Jackson is a bit older. Her list is currently closed, but she will reopen in June and has several breedings planned. I am aware of several of her dogs that have gone on to be therapy dogs. If Jackson is suitable for that kind of work when he is old enough we plan to train him for that. Deb's dogs have fantastic pedigrees, and she is a dream to work with. Check out her website.
I'll check them out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome!

Here is thread with recommendations for MW Breeders-

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with Quapaw Goldens? I spoke with the breeder last night and I was very impressed with her experience. Just curious if anyone else has had puppies from her
I don't know Kathy personally, but she is a long time Golden breeder and breeds a more old-fashioned dog than most these days. Very knowledgeable, but I'm fairly sure she is going to retire from breeding soon.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
You can tell from the website that this is an experienced breeder, but the website is WAY out of date. I did a quick check on K9Data and OFA for dogs with "Quapaw" in their registered names and found very few dogs with complete clearances and the few that did seems to have been born more than a decade ago (which may explain a lot of the "lacks" since fewer clearances were required back then... I think). All the dogs on her site are also likely too old to still be breeding. It's always possible that her current breeding stock do not carry the "Quapaw" designation in their registered names, or I missed one that does, but unless you can give us some registered names/numbers for specific dogs, there isn't enough available publicly to say this a breeder who is still breeding dogs with full clearances.

Reactions: Goldendreamer654

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have known Kathy since about 1987 because she was a member of the Golden Retriever Club of Gtr St Louis before she moved to Indiana. As far as I know, the only female she has that is "breedable" is Gabbi. I know she has an appointment to have her hips and elbows done in the next few weeks. Verify cardiologist heart exam and current eye exam before moving forward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know Kathy personally, but she is a long time Golden breeder and breeds a more old-fashioned dog than most these days. Very knowledgeable, but I'm fairly sure she is going to retire from breeding soon.
I just spoke with her yesterday and was very impressed with her! Theres 5 people ahead of me on her list so hoping I can get one! Thank you for responding! Just wanted to hear some input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have known Kathy since about 1987 because she was a member of the Golden Retriever Club of Gtr St Louis before she moved to Indiana. As far as I know, the only female she has that is "breedable" is Gabbi. I know she has an appointment to have her hips and elbows done in the next few weeks. Verify cardiologist heart exam and current eye exam before moving forward.
I'll be meeting her and her dog next month
You can tell from the website that this is an experienced breeder, but the website is WAY out of date. I did a quick check on K9Data and OFA for dogs with "Quapaw" in their registered names and found very few dogs with complete clearances and the few that did seems to have been born more than a decade ago (which may explain a lot of the "lacks" since fewer clearances were required back then... I think). All the dogs on her site are also likely too old to still be breeding. It's always possible that her current breeding stock do not carry the "Quapaw" designation in their registered names, or I missed one that does, but unless you can give us some registered names/numbers for specific dogs, there isn't enough available publicly to say this a breeder who is still breeding dogs with full clearances.
Her female Gabby is 2 years old and shes having her heart, eyes, and joints tested. She will also be doing DM, ich, and others. I'll be asking her for Gabby's pedigree and I can link it. She showed me the possible stud she may be using and here's his: Pedigree: CH Stoneledge Cedars Rhythm & Blues Pedigree: CH Stoneledge Cedars Rhythm & Blues

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a great call with Christina Yoh of Heritage Goldens yesterday and was really impressed with her breeding standards and the priority placed on proper clearances, DNA testing, etc. She mentioned fall/winter 2021 is when she'll likely have puppies available.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts