Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden is 5 years old and we’ve noticed that she’s been regurgitating quite often. She had allergic reaction to chicken so we switched her to salmon. After switching to salmon she started having regurgitating once in a while and she’s been having salmon for 5 months now. Still regurgitating intermittently (one week she regurgitates and fine for another 2 - 3 weeks then regurgitates again) so we thought maybe it’s the salmon as that’s what started it and now she’s on lamb. 5 days into half salmon half lamb diet she regurgitates again. She’s acting normal, playing everyday, eating a lot, good appetite, poops normally and all. We’re running out of ideas as to why. Previous owner mentioned that she has a weak stomach and can’t have other food aside from chicken because she throws up and now she’s allergic to it. What to do? Bringing her to the vet would mean blood tests and all but we want to resolve it on our own if it’s just her diet or habit issues.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I think the previous owner's assessment is probably quite a distance from what's wrong- it's probably what they decided. There's no such thing as a weak stomach.
Regurging is the hallmark symptom of megaesophagus. Long term management of ME is difficult, and I hope that's not what's wrong. Diagnosis is either gonna be based on the regurgitation alone or a swallow study. And of course blood tests but there is no resolving something like this with food choices.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. We would love to see some pictures of your girl!

A visit to the vet may offer some peace of mind. or, if it is something serious you do not want to be trying hit or miss solutions.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
My post was to prepare you for more than bloodwork -- regurgitation is a diagnostic symptom, especially with so many months behind the symptom. Plan to spend some money unless the radiographs are enough to be diagnostic w the symptoms, and plan for a swallow study to be ordered. ME is a GR problem in some pedigrees more than others but it is definitely in the host of GR problems, and your dog has the hallmark symptom. In the same family of disorders you will find cricopharyngeal dysmotility and cricopharyngeal achalasia. These are not issues you can fix yourself, nor are they really diet related (though shape of food forming bolus does affect). You must go to the vet.

·
Penny & Twinkie's parents
229 Posts
I'm definitely following this topic. My Penny started regurgitating a few months ago (she's 6). She does it various times throughout the day (not necessarily right after eating or drinking). Some days she doesn't do it at all (that we notice). The vet did an xray of her esophagus and said everything looked fine, and basically said to keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a Golden with ME (Megaesophagus). He was diagnosed last year. We had also thought maybe a food allergy etc. Some ME dogs do have other autoimmune problems. You can manage ME with medicine and changes to their feeding routine but it’s a lot of work. He started to cough, or wretch consistently after eating most often with nothing coming up. I took him to the vet for the cough immediately and they saw ME in the chest X-ray. They also noticed decreased air flow across the vocal chords. Some vets are not familiar with It. We also did blood work.

I hope this isn’t your diagnosis, but for some reason there seems to be a rise in it in Goldens right now. Golden Doodles seem to have A LOT of it. If you find out you have ME I will be happy to share what is working for us.

Some puppies are born with it but it also seems to just show up in older Goldens 5-10 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts