Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so I have a new puppy coming in just a couple of weeks. I have a list of names but I am having an impossible time making my final decision. I don't want to post my list because I just haven't found that perfect one. I have Duke and Moe. My oldest son named Duke after John Wayne and It went with his registered name. My youngest son named Moe and in all honesty my husband and I have regretted letting him name him from day 1. He pulled the "I've never gotten to name a single one of our dogs" on us....

Here are the facts:
It's a male Golden
Kennel Name will come first
Litter Name Has to Be in the Name and it is "Good"
The puppy will be hunt trained and we will run tests with him.

We live on a farm. Our hobbies include tennis, dirt track racing, and we own horses. Our oldest son team ropes in rodeo competitions. My oldest son and husband are avid hunters. Our trainer prefers one syllable call names but it can be two. I like for the call name to go with the registered name. It doesn't have to be in the registered name but I like you to be able to draw the connection.

Thought maybe this would give everyone something good to think about with all the negative stuff going on in the world.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you beer drinkers? I named one of my boys "Guinness is Good for You." It was one of the slogans used by the Guinness beer company ("Guinness is good for you. So handy in cans." ;)). If you didn't want to use the same name "My Goodness, my Guinness" is another slogan used by the Guinness beer company.

Some other quick ideas...
Into that good night
Good luck charm
Good to go
In good time
Good bye, good riddance
For good not evil
Good Will Hunting (I like this one!)
Good fortune
Good ole boy
In good order
For good measure
The good old days
All in good time
In good spirits
In good hands
Good graces (maybe In God's good graces if you are of a religious bent?)
One good turn deserves another
Good Samaritan
In the gold old summertime
In Good Faith
Good enough
Good grief
Good shepherd
Good on you
He's a good guy
Good egg
so far so good
In good company
Too good to be true

(If I have time I'll come back and edit for some suggested call names...)

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,707 Posts
How exciting! Congratulations on your new boy!

My youngest son named Moe and in all honesty my husband and I have regretted letting him name him from day 1. He pulled the "I've never gotten to name a single one of our dogs" on us....
Believe me, it could be worse. I let my son name our first golden, it was his boy. My son was in 2nd grade at the time and really into the Tasmanian Devil, he named him Taz. When my son was in college and I had to take Taz to the Vet I got a lot of very strange looks from the front desk staff and anyone in the waiting area when I had to give them his name.....

·
Kristy
9,390 Posts
Oh that is too funny!!! I was helping a friend in my neighborhood look for a Golden and I couldn't BELIEVE she got so lucky. I have kept an eye on Marsha and her dogs for a few years now, thinking she would be the perfect person to get a puppy from either for me or family/friend at some point. I'm SO excited that one of those gorgeous puppies will be living a few blocks from me and I'll get to follow your puppy as well :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And "OH MY GOODNESS...... You must be SO SO excited :) Congratulations!!! They are beautiful! Can't wait to see all your stories :)
I am excited. I’ve been on a list for her since last summer. I’m asking her for something out of her specialty with the hunting portion. She has been amazing! She tested the boys on birds for me yesterday. They are precious. I’ve been on the sidelines of training because my husband runs Moe and Duke is fully retired. This puppy is going to be mine all mine! Lol

·
Kristy
9,390 Posts
....This puppy is going to be mine all mine! Lol
Oh I get that. I've never been one of those people who has dogs "for the kids" etc. They are for me and I am the trainer/primary. I can't wait to see who your boy is, has she narrowed it down for you? I'm sure there are several who are birdy. I won't be getting a puppy any time soon so will have to live vicariously :) Please start a thread for him the minute he comes home.

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
I love Guiness. That is a name that was on my list for male dogs. There is a hilarious show called "The Good Place" on Netflix with characters named Chidi, Shawn, Chuck...

For males I also liked:

Hudson
Cairo
Boston
Tex
Nash
Tate
Dane

For reg names
Kennel Name:
"Oh Sooo Good"
"Goody Two Shoes"
"Good to the Bone"
"Good to Go"
"Do-Good-er"
"Up To No Good"
"Well And Good"
"Good Luck __"

·
Kate
21,192 Posts
Good Will Hunting
Good Times Rolling
Got the Goods

Call names - I think are just personal. It's like naming your kids. :D (speaking as somebody with a new nephew whose middle name is Thorvald. I don't get it, but it's not my business LOLOL)

Midas - might go with Moe. ;) Cute blondies in that litter.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I just looked at her Facebook they are so cute. She lives about a half hour from me but I haven't met her yet. I'm so happy for you.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Okay, okay, okay! Someone please tell me what litter this is so I can go look!

Believe me, it could be worse. I let my son name our first golden, it was his boy. My son was in 2nd grade at the time and really into the Tasmanian Devil, he named him Taz. When my son was in college and I had to take Taz to the Vet I got a lot of very strange looks from the front desk staff and anyone in the waiting area when I had to give them his name.....
No word of a lie - I LOVE the name Taz for a dog. ESPECIALLY short for Tasmanian Devil! I knew a dog named Taz and I never would have thought the name would be seen as anything but cool.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, okay, okay! Someone please tell me what litter this is so I can go look!
It's Marsha Fuzia's litter, Rhett x Destiny. I think I'm allowed to post that since they are all definitely spoken for.

I have decided on my name. He will be (kennel name) Hez Good To Go with the call name Cruz. Thank you everybody for the ideas. I had a list and I narrowed it down to two last night. I then watched some of the videos of him again last night and made my mind up. I am pretty positive I know which one is mine since I'm looking for something a little different with the hunt side. I don't think I should say anything though because the actual temperament testing will be done next week and it's still up to Marsha. I have to say if anyone is looking for a puppy she is amazing to work with.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts