Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but have so appreciated learning friom all of your experiences as I read through all these posts. Our family is looking to welcome a new pup, and I've been researching breeders. Looking at Goldnote and Regal (we're in Ontario) anyone with any experience with regal? Her site is great and she's been very responsive.... Clearances look good etc.... Goldnote seems good too, though!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi,

This is a breeder that we seriously considered as well. I haven't met her, nor been to her kennel, however I have met offspring of her dogs. A family member owns a pup and I came across another one by chance. Both of their personalities were lovely.

I agree that for the most part things look good. I spoke to several vets, breeders and golden owners. I had a few concerns and ultimately we did choose a different breeder.

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about her kennel or dogs. They do seem lovely.

I would encourage you to speak to as many breeders, vets and golden owners as you can. We all try to make the most informed decisions we can.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Moonbridge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi,

I did want to add that none of the vets I spoke to were willing to recommend any one breeder over another quite understandably.

What all the vets said was to make sure you met the breeders dogs before puppies were involved because you can't help but fall in love. Make sure you like the mom. If you like her personality and her looks and she looks healthy and happy and well socialized then go with your gut. Of course clearances are important, this goes beyond that.

I fall in love with pretty much every golden I meet, so this was difficult, but ultimately we met a golden over the summer that physically looked like my first golden and had just an amazing temperment. It was based on this, plus clearances, pouring over K9 Data for hours, talking to other owners from this breeder and her location that ultimately led us to our current breeder.

All the best in your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Moonbridge, since I'm a newbie I can't PM you just yet! Thanks very much for your reply.... I really appreciate it. Good advice about visiting before pups are involved, I would be a sucker for any puppy :) can you let me know breeder you ultimately went with?

·
Kristy
9,916 Posts
Gemini, welcome to the forum.... have you contacted the Golden Retriever Club of Canada for some referral ideas or gone to a show to try and meet some breeders in person? If you start networking you will find that most all the reputable people who breed Golden Retrievers do some form of showing/conformation or performance, agility, field work etc and they will know each other and know who is planning or expecting litters. They generally will not trash another breeder who they have concerns about, but they will make good suggestions on who you should talk to. It's a good idea to get recommendations from other reputable breeders. No matter who you go with , you will want to verify clearances and a good breeder will be happy to do that. If you want to come back to this site with specific litters in mind, we can help you research the clearances on the dogs.
Be sure to ask questions about how and where the puppies are raised - are they in the house with the family the whole time etc. I noticed both of these breeders have a lot of dogs, one site shows over a dozen dogs and says they aren't kenneled but live in the house with the family... that's a lot of dogs in the house every night, and then to add a litter of puppies 3 or 4 times a year.... why are they breeding those litters? what are they trying to accomplish with those litters? Are they keeping any or selling them all to make money? Definitely do your homework and be very thorough to make sure you aren't taken advantage of. Use this site and go through all the suggested reading on the GRCC website and the GRCA, the more informed you are the better. Best of luck with your research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts