Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of references are breeders looking for? We have recently moved here and don't know anyone. Except for my best friend. She's the kind of friend that if I killed my husband, she'd not only bring a shovel and help bury the body, but she and her family would give me an alibi. So her word wouldn't be worth anything. She'd say what ever I asked. Great friend! But... Back to references. If she is the only one in town that I know, am I sunk?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I don't see why you can't use people out of town. They know you, right? and use your best friend. She would be able to answer the questions better than anybody else.

I usually use anybody that I know that has the same type of relationships with their pets that I have with mine. I have used relatives and neighbors, too.

A coworker once used me, and I always wondered if I wrecked his chances of getting a bird rescue because I did not have answers for the woman's questions. Partly because I had only been to his house once, and I knew nothing about birds.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think your friend, out of town friends and the vet is a great idea. They tell alot about how you take care of a pet.

·
the party's crashing us
4,470 Posts
Personally if I were a breeder I really would not care what your best friend thinks of you as a pet owner, unless your best friend is a fellow breeder/trainer/handler. I mean, if they don't know much about dogs themselves, what good is a fine recommendation from them?
Give the name of your old vet, if you ever used a boarding kennel, groomer, etc, somebody who can reflect on the care you gave to your pets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts