Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Reduced protein food?

696 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mad's Mom 
#1 ·
Our vet is recommending we switch our elderly eskie Gromit to a reduced protein food as he has congestive heart failure and his kidneys are starting to be affected. The food the vet sells(medi cal) is really expensive. Does anyone know of other reduced protein foods out there?

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what she considers low protein but the food she recommends is 12 percent crude protein. I've also been reading that reduced protein food is not necesarily the best thing for a dog with kidney issues so I'm in a bit of a quandry. The vet said it would improve his quality of life.

#7 ·
I have read that it depends on what "type" of kidney problem it is as to wether a reduced protein diet is helpful. That probably involves some very specific testing.

The OP says congestive heart failure is the primary problem. Typically, somewhat lower protein and lower sodium intake is recommended for congestive heart problems

I agree with Bock that the California Natural adult formulas have among the lower protein levels among kibbles. I'm not sure if their sodium levels are in line for what you need. As JacksonsMom said in her post, there are a number of books and sources available now for home-cooking for specific canine health problems. . . sounds like a good option but not one that everyone can fit into their schedule.

#8 ·
I agree with MyBentley-you will need to watch the sodium levels as well. It may be hard for you to find a "regular"-easily available, inexpensive-food that will meet his needs right now.

The idea of a home made diet is not a bad one-just make sure that it is developed for your dog's specific problems, and that it was developed by a canine nutritionist.

#9 ·
There's good information about diet for dogs with kidney disease on dogaware.com and probably some good information on feeding dogs with heart failure. Information on commercial diets as well as home cooked. I believe low protein does depend on what kidney issues the dog is dealing with, and what their blood values are. Low phosphorous is very important, and usually to get a low phosphorous food it means low protein.

My Maddie has juvenile renal diease and high blood pressure and she's doing well on a diet of k/d food mixed with home cooked. Her BUN is still in the normal range though, so we haven't restricted protein, just providing more bioavailable forms (egg whites, ground beef).

I'm sorry you are going through this with your senior dog, and hope you find a diet that works for you and for Gromit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.