Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In Macau
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how many of us had to listen to our human loved one say: "your buying another toy?"

(They will only understand the need for new toys when all of a sudden the desk leg shows up, you know, half chewed on and you question if you have a Golden Retriever or a Beaver)

Let's face it REDUCE is never going to happen but REUSE and RECYCLE well that's another story....

So my little girl, also know as little monster (25kg / 55lb), gets easily bored or she's just spoiled rotten by mommy and needs constant new toys and in Macau and Hong Kong there are not many options for large breed dogs so luckily we have a couple that plays tennis so we have constant supply of balls, sometimes I'm not sure what the heck I'm going to do with so many!

So I started doing some very simple toys that don't involve anything more than a scissor or knife and knotting.

I was hoping there are others like me out there with some ideas to share :crossfing

·
In Macau
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tennis ball spider?

This was done in I think 5min and I used a piece of an old leash the young lady destroyed, more precisely the first victim.

It's very simple, just 2 cuts on opposite sides of each ball although the center one has 4 cuts to do the cross, I passed the leash on the holes making a knot very close to the ball to keep them in place, the middle one doesn't need these knots but I made a knot on each leash that I pushed inside the ball to keep it in place.
To help pass the leash inside the balls I used a chopstick and tape.

Easy peasy and she finds it funny to play some soft tug, just throw and she'll go get it or she can play alone biting the balls

Attachments

·
In Macau
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tennis ball tug

This one also took around 5min and I used another of the leash victims (really annoys me to throw stuff away that I can reuse on something else) and 3 balls but I guess it's possible to use as many or little as wanted.

So again 2 cuts on opposite sides of each ball and some knots very close to them to keep them in place (in this case I didn't let any space in between balls because my little devil just loves to chew on leashes.

We play tug with this one or when she's in lazy mode it more cat style with her laying down and pawing the balls.

She doesn't get to play alone with this toy because she would pleasure herself destroying the handle

Attachments

·
In Macau
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The braided octopus

Ok so for this one I made 2 with different sizes (1 was supposed to be a gift for a smaller dog but Ella enjoyed it so never make it to its final destination)

It was done with an old tshirts of dear boyfriend and the excess of the curtains seam when we changed apartments.

It's just some strips of fabric tied to each other in the middle (to create the "head") and then is just a matter of braiding the fabric strips in a way that they get crossed on top of the knot (each strip should be braid with one that is on the opposite side of the knot)

The colour choice is quite boring because we are architects and our house is the 50 shades of grey :uhoh: more colourful people will for sure produce happier versions of Octopus!

Attachments

·
In Macau
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The kind of Wubba

Another 5min, a pair of stained trousers from lovely boyfriend (such a resource of material...) a tennis ball and old socks.

I simply cut the entire leg of the trousers out, tied a knot at the end, inserted a tennis ball, tied another knot, inserted a ball made out old socks and tied another knot (because I'm a princess without much strength in my hands I actually cut the top of the jeans in a few strips so that I could tie a few small knots)

Ella gets entertained biting the different size "balls" that also have different hardness

Attachments

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Am impressed with your creativity!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Great ideas.. Just the other day I cut the bottom off of a stuffed toy and made a puppet for Mia. She loves to play puppet with me. Don't ask me why,she just loves it when I put my hand in it and make it move and play with her. Sometimes it tries to grab her nose with it's paws.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Great ideas.. Just the other day I cut the bottom off of a stuffed toy and made a puppet for Mia. She loves to play puppet with me. Don't ask me why,she just loves it when I put my hand in it and make it move and play with her. Sometimes it tries to grab her nose with it's paws.
I bought a hand puppet by accident one day at the dollar store, thought it was a stuffed bear, and Max goes crazy with it! I put it on my hand and he attacks it, pulls it off my hand, shakes it and then gives it back to me with this, "do it again!" look. I never thought of cutting the bottom off a toy to make one of those!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Brilliant, how very resourceful and creative. Love the tennis ball spider. Proper tennis balls are so much better than dog ones. Taylor strips all dog ones naked within minutes and then with just a little pressure one ball becomes 2 halves, the Human tennis balls stay fully clothed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I bought a hand puppet by accident one day at the dollar store, thought it was a stuffed bear, and Max goes crazy with it! I put it on my hand and he attacks it, pulls it off my hand, shakes it and then gives it back to me with this, "do it again!" look. I never thought of cutting the bottom off a toy to make one of those!
That's funny,Mia does the same thing. She would do it all day long. That's her favorite toy other than her ball. :wavey:

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Love you ideas anamcouto. I ran a 3' long string through 2 tennis balls once and whirled them like David and Goliath ;) If my dog didn't want to give up one I just ran my hand down the rope to grab the other one and they let go the one they had in their mouth.

I've used destroyed stuffed toys as hand puppets too :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts