Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swelling in Red's Lymph nodes cam back with a vengance last Christmas. It took several months to get a confirmed diagnosis of Lymphoma. We started Red on a course of Leukeran and Prednisone and things were sure looking good 2 months. The nodes were shrinking considerably and he was feeling great.

However, the reduction in node size stopped and has now reversed. His Leukeran dose has been increased to the max and we are still hoping for the best. He is tolerating the Leukeran well but the Prednisone is making him crazy..he is very hot, and restless.

Red is such a special dog, and has led such a special life, we were hoping his "retirement" would be much longer.

here is a thread that tells about Red's life. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/member-introductions/115851-red-i-just-joined.html

Here is a great shot after a recent grooming which made him look like an old puppy.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm sorry that things aren't going well. Hopefully, the increased dose with give you some more time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the kind words. Thank you for,the link about Andy. I have followed the thread for a long time now and am still amazed by the dog Andy was, and the caregiver Dborgers is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red is doing good, but the Prednisone is making him crazy. He is not himself for sure. He woke me up at 3AM this morning huffing and puffing. I took him out but he didn't need to go. I am afraid he is in pain.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,829 Posts
I am so sorry about Red, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and him.

He's so beautiful and a very special boy. I just re-read his story again.

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Fal

Red is doing good, but the Prednisone is making him crazy. He is not himself for sure. He woke me up at 3AM this morning huffing and puffing. I took him out but he didn't need to go. I am afraid he is in pain.
Fal: Ask the vet if he thinks he is in pain.
So sorry that you both are going through this!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fal: Ask the vet if he thinks he is in pain.
So sorry that you both are going through this!
I'll ask his doggy oncologist. She is awesome, and she fell in love with him on his first visit, like everyone does. :)

·
I miss my Buddy
11,523 Posts
I remember your story, Red is very special boy. Sending healing vibes and love to Red, will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your prayers and positive thoughts are verymuch appreciated. Red had a great day yesterday, eating well, resting well, and he even played a bit, which he hadn't done in a few weeks. The prednisone just makes hime feel aweful. He lays around and pants. We got him his own fan, which he loves blowing right on his face. His nose is so dry I am afraid it will crack....can I put a bit of vasoline on it to keep it soft in the blowing air?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm definitely in love with Red's beautiful sugar face and smile! I'm so sorry that the Prednisone is difficult for Red. I would think that vaseline would be ok for the inside of his nose, but I'm not certain. I'm sure someone that is more knowledgeable will answer your question. Keeping your boy in our thoughts that the lymph nodes start shrinking again.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Aw, Red has such a sweet face. I am glad to hear he is doing well. So sorry about the diagnosis. I know Danny's Andy did really well on a treatment for lymphoma. I hope Red responds to it well, too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last night was a bit hard on me, and Red. He woke me up three different times. I thought he wanted outside to take care of business, but when I got up he just stood there staring at me. This happened three times. I know it is the Prednisone making him a bit crazy and jumpy. He only gets 15Mg every other day, but he sure doesn't tolerate it very well.

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Fal

Fal

So sorry for what Red and you are going through.

It is so hard to see them not feeling well!

I'm praying for you both!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Red is off to the Oncologysts this morning. His nodes are markedly larger. I am not sure what is going on. He is already at the max dose of Leukeran for a dog his weight. We have already discussed we are not doing injectable chemo.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts