Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old light girl who has had these stains since she was a pup. It started out with it just being around her vulva and has recently grown to her lip folds and around her eyes.

I have had her checked for bladder infection - it cam back negative. I have also had her allergy tested for food only - and she is allergic to ALOT of things. I have switched her food to something she is not allergic to (and it is a good quality food) but she still has the staining problem.

I have done ALOT of research and read that it could be allergies, or it could just be that her PH levels are out of whack. I give her yogurt in her kong every couple of days so I think she has enough good bacteria.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. It doesn't bother me so much but I would just like to know why it is the way it is. The only time it bothers me is when she meets someone new and of course flips onto her belly exposing her dark stained gentalia - I see the stranger look at it as if to say "ew what is that?".

Please help?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this - but I guess I am more concerned because its not JUST her privates. It seems to be every area on her that excretes some type of bodily fluid. I am just wondering if it really is just too much iron? I've read so many different possibilities - I guess I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what they have discovered.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Our springer has that red staining under his chin, where his fur is white. Many say it's low grade yeast from the moisture. There are whitening shampoos which may help. The good news is that it isn't a health issue, just unsightly.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to consult your vet. Hali had areas that she licked that turned a reddish color when she licked them and as was stated above it is due to oxidation of the saliva on the fur. Her eyes also had reddish "tear staining"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts