Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Kahuna's Mom
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there...my golden is just a week shy of a year, I noticed a wet spot on my pups fur yesterday, but didn't see anything. He was licking it and biting it somewhat, but not obsessively.

When I got home from work I saw that the same spot was wet and went to look and there was a red spot that looked very irritated. I'm going to go to the vet tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone had any idea of what it might be?

Thanks.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you have your first hot spot. They are pretty common and usually can be treated quickly. I've successfully treated them on my own dogs with either Gold Bond medicated powder or Regular Listerene.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Sounds like a hot spot. I'd try what Oakly's Dad suggested but watch it and if it starts to spread call your vet.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Ditto. If the gold bond/listerine doesn't help or it spreads, then go to the vet. Depending on your vet, you can get soaked for something like that, I've seen dogs who are half shaved and on two drugs for a quarter sized hotspot:doh:

Lana

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Definitely sounds like a hot spot, the technical name is moist pyoderma. First thing to do is clip the fur off the sore, then either pat on some Listerine (gold kind) and let it dry, and/or sprinkle with Gold Bond body powder. They can spread pretty fast, the key is to keep it dry and don't let him lick it anymore.

·
Kahuna's Mom
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to watch him because I work all day, I'm going to take off tomorrow though to take him to the vet and make sure that's what it is. It doesn't seem to bother him THAT much and his appetite and personality all seem normal. How long does it take for it to go away?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Ditto to the above posts with a comment that clipping the fur is really necessary.

They can get huge in no time and are really painful. I hope you can get it under control quickly, but don't let it get too inflammed. You might need to use a comfy cone or victorian collar for while he is home alone.

I hope it gets better very fast! I hate those things.

·
Kahuna's Mom
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it definitely looks like its getting worse...I tried to clip the hair but he kept moving around. Do you think he'll be okay till the morning?

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
He'll be OK. Do you have any Gold Bond or Listerine (as mentioned). If not get it and start it. Good luck!

Hopefully your vet can guide you on what to do in the future, cause they are kinda like zits :), no reason, just need treatment.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I'd make a special trip to your local drugstore, if I were you. For the Gold Bond. Use some of that tonight, it will get you through until the vet tomorrow ... and you just might find that it's helped enough that maybe that's all you need :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts