Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am wondering if yall have ever noticed this on your golden and/or would have any opinions on what this could be? My 2 year old golden retriever has a spot on her hind paw where her skin is red. I have attatched a photo of what I mean. It is not itchy, not wet and does not bother her. I have cut the fur around it, it is not raised, its on a bony part of her foot. It has been there for about 3 weeks, it may look a little redder at the moment because I am applying a anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory cream that my farm vet gave to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi! I am wondering if yall have ever noticed this on your golden and/or would have any opinions on what this could be? My 2 year old golden retriever has a spot on her hind paw where her skin is red. I have attatched a photo of what I mean. It is not itchy, not wet and does not bother her. I have cut the fur around it, it is not raised, its on a bony part of her foot. It has been there for about 3 weeks, it may look a little redder at the moment because I am applying a anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory cream that my farm vet gave to me.
64F0E094-664D-41B0-8C18-66C9CE722769.jpeg

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,524 Posts
Treat it like a wound. Use vet wrap/coflex and a spray like lido-med with a drying agent to help it scab over.

It could be a wound it a reaction from food or other things. Most common food allergy symptom is paw and leg licking/chewing.

So if test like a wound Forest and see after a few days of it being wrapped and healing if it's still a problem. If so, then see your vet

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,849 Posts
I keep a bottle of Veterciyn Wound care on hand for minor cuts, abrasions, etc.
My Vet clinic uses it and recommends it.

I originally bought it from my Vet Clinic, but have since ordered it from Amazon.

Here is the info on it-

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,849 Posts
Bellagirl72, I merged your threads together so all the replies and info would be in the same thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep a bottle of Veterciyn Wound care on hand for minor cuts, abrasions, etc.
My Vet clinic uses it and recommends it.

I originally bought it from my Vet Clinic, but have since ordered it from Amazon.

Here is the info on it-

Interesting! But if it were a wound, wouldnt it be healing after 2-3 weeks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch. Our girl allows us to put cone on her so we started doing that a couple of days ago - Any idea when I should see signs of healing with the help of a prescribed cream?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet. It really isn’t bugging her at all, its bugging me more. For now we were given a cream in case it is bacterial or fungal - which could possibly explain the fact that it wasnt healing. That said, I forgot what my vet said about when we should see improvement with the cream....I was too paranoid :(

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,524 Posts
Creams aren't what you really need. You want it to dry and scab over so it gets a natural bandage to so speak. an oitment or cream will just keep it moist and open for potential infection, especially on the foot area as it will pick up dirt and other debris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand, we tried letting it dry, protecting it and putting a cone on her. However the fact that it wasnt healing made our vet think that it could be fungal/bacterial.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
The dog has already seen the vet. Feet particularly take longer to heal.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What makes you say this? Have you read the thread?
Yes I did. If that sore is not a minor abrasion, it could require more than simple first aid. Vets have the training and equipment etc. to do a dog right. If one of mine had a sore that didn't heal (not do to licking); they would be at the vet.
Yep..I err on the side of caution with my dogs; . If I disagree with my vet..I will seek a second opinion. If I look around on Google, it's for my own satisfaction and knowledge.

The only thing that I have not done that was "recommended" was an early spay. I also choose the minimal vaccination protocol. For mine, that is Rabies (required by law), and Parvo. I choose not to immunize against the Dog Flu, and Bordetella. Mine have no exposure to either and will not be boarded.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I did. If that sore is not a minor abrasion, it could require more than simple first aid. Vets have the training and equipment etc. to do a dog right. If one of mine had a sore that didn't heal (not do to licking); they would be at the vet.
Yep..I err on the side of caution with my dogs; . If I disagree with my vet..I will seek a second opinion. If I look around on Google, it's for my own satisfaction and knowledge.

The only thing that I have not done that was "recommended" was an early spay. I also choose the minimal vaccination protocol. For mine, that is Rabies (required by law), and Parvo. I choose not to immunize against the Dog Flu, and Bordetella. Mine have no exposure to either and will not be boarded.
Totally understand! We want the very best for our pets. :) I will be trying the cream given to me by the vet in case it is a skin infection. I have a follow up in 2 weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts