Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of people search up red flags of puppy breeders, but I want to learn about the red flags of puppy buyers. As you can see from my previous posts, I am researching about Golden Retrievers with the help of these communities.

Since I do not want to end up on a breeder's blacklist, what are some of the red flags of puppy breeders?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I’m not a breeder, but I’ll start with some obvious things.
  1. Be polite. Breeders don’t need you... their first priority is getting their pups into the best possible homes and most will have WAY more good homes than they have puppies and they can afford to be picky. If you are impolite (or impatient, or insensitive to the demands on a breeder’s time) you’ll never make it past the initial screening.
  2. Don’t approach this like a commercial transaction. You’re not buying a toaster... you’re buying someone’s hopes and dreams and heartbreak and tears and sleepless nights. You’re buying a living, breathing baby that your breeder will feel responsible for for the rest of its life. Good breeders do not sell their puppies based on who is first in line to hand them a check. They sell to fabulous, prepared and loving owners who will give their puppies happy, much-loved lives In permanent homes.
  3. Do not contact a potential breeder with a brief “Do you have any puppies? How much?” kind of email. You’ll go straight in their trash.
  4. If a breeder has a website, read it thoroughly. Don’t ask questions that are answered on the website. On the other hand, asking clarifying questions that make it clear you HAVE read their website may work in your favor.
  5. Don‘t place too many parameters around what you are looking for. If you say you’re looking for a big blond male with a blocky head and a therapy dog personality that you can bring home the first week of June, your chance of a favorable response (or any response at all) is MUCH lower than saying you want a healthy pup of either sex sometime in the next year or so.
  6. Don’t make your initial written contact with the breeder too long. Pare it down to a few sentences outlining some of the things the breeder will find most important (what you are looking for, why you are contacting them in particular, what your timeframe might be, your experience with dogs in general and Goldens in particular, etc.). If there is an application on their website, fill it out and attach it.
Im sure there are other things that cause a breeder to consign an inquiry to the literal or figurative trash. Hopefully some of our breeders will chime in to add to my list...

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
There have been some threads about this in the past. I'll link what I can find. Remember that breeders are individuals so what is a red flag to one may not be to another.

#1 - don't lie. Lying or fudging the truth or omitting information is the #1 way to get written off. Don't go into this curating some persona that you think will win a breeder's affection. Be honest with them about what you're looking for, what you have to offer, what your plans are, etc.

Bad Intro Emails | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Breeders who don't answer emails. | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Another way to get a puppy. | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Brave linked some great threads, some of which I read through when I was looking for my puppy. Her comment on not lying though, is BIG. Like Pawsnpaca said, responsible breeders will feel responsible for the life they created for the entirety of the dog’s life. Don’t think they won’t look up your address to ensure that you do have a fenced-in yard like you said you did on your application. Don’t lie about being members of your local Golden Retriever club, the breeder probably knows someone who can double check a roster. If you’re anticipating some huge life changes (ie-children), let the breeder know. You don’t have to tell them your life story, but if you’re trying to bring a puppy home in the same week you’re bringing home a newborn, it’s probably not the best situation (though I’ve read success stories on this forum of those who were able to do it!) and the breeder may want to find a different family and bump you to their next litter when the timing is better. Also remember that we are dealing with living creatures. As much as a breeder wants a pregnancy to take the first time, on X date, with a large litter, it’s not always possible-biology is funky that way. While I personally am not a breeder, I imagine that people who get upset and start making snarky comments and complaints about something completely out of a breeder’s control (think: litter size) are red flags. The breeder didn’t chose to go through all of the necessary health tests and preparation for a litter that doesn’t take just for the heck of it. Recognize that they are just as hopeful as you are that the pregnancy is successful, and rude comments such as “well you said I was on a list* for this litter!!” will not be taken well. Lastly, it’s important to remember that the puppy is always the breeder’s priority, not you. While that may be frustrating, it’s just how it is, and the breeder will always make the best decisions for the puppy, whether you personally agree with it or not. Rejecting or getting upset with their decisions is not advised.

*You may also find that a lot of breeders don’t have a formal 1. 2. 3. type of list for this exact reason. There are other threads on that topic, but recognize that breeders have a process that they follow for vetting and approving puppy people, and it is up to their own discretion. Getting upset with how they rightfully decide who gets a puppy and in what “order” is also a big red flag.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Coastal Pup, great reply, but just saying, the street view of my home address hasn't been updated for a few years now...I painted my house blue a while ago and it's still the same cream color it used to be in street view on Google Maps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fair enough, I don’t think ours has been updated in years either LOL. I would like to think that if you put up a fence since the last time Google did their pics, if everything else on your application checked out, the breeder would follow up about the fence and ask you. Then you can tell them that it’s new and send them a pic to prove it if needed. I could be wrong on that though- and while I don’t think every breeder is going to Google you (I had a really good intro conversation with my breeder and she doesn’t do formal applications so there was no way that she could have my address at that point) I have seen it mentioned on the Forum so I know it does happen.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,941 Posts
Since I do not want to end up on a breeder's blacklist, what are some of the red flags of puppy breeders?
As a breeder, I actually don't like threads like this. Buyers get very sophisticated about saying what you want to hear rather than what their situation really is. They lie. Oh, do they lie. And they can be very smooth and difficult to uncover. I lose sleep at night worrying that I might inadvertently sell a puppy to a buyer who lied to me, and that the puppy won't have the kind of life I thought it would. And I go to farther and farther extremes to suss out those liars.

And once I find one, I broadcast the person's name to breeders all over the country, warning them.

I use Google Maps street view and Google Earth, but I also search prior real estate listings for photos of the home and property, and even the county recorder's website to confirm ownership. I will often do a drive-by or even a home visit if it's within driving distance. I also call references. I don't care if a house is a different color. Duh. But I do look for fences, poisonous plants, or any evidence that the potential buyer isn't being completely honest with me. I ask potential buyers to send me a video of their house and property. Not only do I search the property, I search the buyers and find out as much as I can about them.

The reason I have to do all this is because buyers get so slick about telling breeders what they think will work rather than what is true. So, threads like this, while also containing good general tips about friendliness, etc., can also help those slick liars out, and that just makes it harder for everyone.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@DanaRuns, I actually think that's very interesting how breeders do that. Of course, I'm not trying to help the slick liars, however, my goal is to successfully reach out to breeders, which is a bit difficult to do, as some reputable breeders get a high volume of inquiries and a long wait list.

Sorry if I offended you or anything!

·
Registered
645 Posts
And they can be very smooth and difficult to uncover. I lose sleep at night worrying that I might inadvertently sell a puppy to a buyer who lied to me, and that the puppy won't have the kind of life I thought it would. And I go to farther and farther extremes to suss out those liars.
This is why I could never be a breeder. I appreciate those who do it because I want a place to get a healthy golden from, but I would be sick with anxiety over whether or not someone was taking proper care of my puppies.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
@DanaRuns, I actually think that's very interesting how breeders do that. Of course, I'm not trying to help the slick liars, however, my goal is to successfully reach out to breeders, which is a bit difficult to do, as some reputable breeders get a high volume of inquiries and a long wait list.

Sorry if I offended you or anything!
Not Dana- but I found your post either incredibly naive or ... dk what. It bordered on offensive. It is a responsibility to choose homes a breeder will allow to buy a puppy. If you don't lie and you are a good home, you don't need tricks or special verbiage- just understand you are one of many, so you need to invest the time to let yourself be known.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts