Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a VERY deep Red golden retriever. She needs to be breed quality and include full registration. Open to puppy or adult up to age 3.

Anyone know of a good breeder or referral for me?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
250 Posts
As you, I wanted a dark golden girl. I have looked at many sites and every reputable breeder I have seen has limited registration. I think it is rare to sell pups with full registration from a really fabulous breeder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very true. I am a small time breeder with one female and she is now 5. Vet says shes as healthy as a horse and to breed her this year but I just love her so much that I think Ill pass. Anyways, I love her coloring and want another breeding dog/family dog like her. I understand putting restrictions on it. I wont sell any of my pups with full reg. unless I am 100% aware of their intentions and they sign a breeding contract with me.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Unless you are competing with your dog in some venue (conformation, obedience, etc) it is highly unlikely that a reputable breeder will sell you a bitch with full registration. Even if you are, many will require a co own if they don't know you. I believe dakotadog was talking about your potential puppy, not puppies you might sell.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Ditto what goldenjackpuppy said..most reputable breeders' hackles go up when they are approached by someone who primarily wants a dog to breed. I have sold very few dogs on full registration and it has been to people I know who are going to do something(show, obedience, etc) with the dogs other than breed it...

Reactions: HiTideGoldens

·
Banned
616 Posts
Lets talk about clearances, pedigrees, whelping a litter, the contract/health guarantee to offer, the competition you will compete in and purpose of breeding.....It takes more than just throwing a bitch in season at intact male and have at it....

Are you financially prepared for this? (a C-section at an emergency vet usually runs around $2500, that isn't including the follow up vet visit, the health clearances, cost of showing your dog, the vet bills for the puppies, the food of raising a litter, the whelping box, the toys, the stud fee). Let alone the normal costs of raising a dog, normal vet visits, shots, microchip, obedience classes, toys, chews, food, crate....Breeding is a very very costly endeavor and should only be undertaken for a primary reason other than bringing more puppies into the world, AKA some competition: agility, obedience, hunting, conformation, tracking, search and rescue with the ultimate goal of improving the breed in health, temperament and purpose. And color should be the LAST consideration when choosing a puppy, let alone a breeding (performance) puppy.

·
Banned
616 Posts
This is very true. I am a small time breeder with one female and she is now 5. Vet says shes as healthy as a horse and to breed her this year but I just love her so much that I think Ill pass. Anyways, I love her coloring and want another breeding dog/family dog like her. I understand putting restrictions on it. I wont sell any of my pups with full reg. unless I am 100% aware of their intentions and they sign a breeding contract with me.
Every vet I have ever met would never recommend breeding a pet.... Also it takes more than just a vet visit to know if a dog is sound/healthy enough to breed, aka hip and elbow x-rays, heart exam by a board certified cardiologist, annual eye exams by a board certified opthamologist, and this for every dog going back +5 generations. That is just the health aspect of it, let alone all the other areas of consideration before breeding. Also what kind of breeder did you get her from that didn't care you haven't gotten her spayed, and gave you full registration?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
She needs to be breed quality
Just what does that mean?

Are you looking for a Breed Champion? Field Champion? Or just something with four legs and a uterus? You do realize that buying a finished adult female is a VERY expensive proposition.

You'll have to be more specific on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
And not to be a jerk, which I think I can be.... it you have a bitch you like and it sounds like she had pups, why didn't you keep one?

·
Golden Girl
6 Posts
And not to be a jerk, which I think I can be.... it you have a bitch you like and it sounds like she had pups, why didn't you keep one?
just a guess but prob because she wants to keep using the same stud. which if he is a good stud i would look into another female as well.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Whoa, Shelbypup, really? From my viewpoint, there is a goal... and mostly involves not breeding to the same stud over and over.

·
16,000 Posts
Whoa, Shelbypup, really? From my viewpoint, there is a goal... and mostly involves not breeding to the same stud over and over.
She did have a new male, Rex. In November he was going to be the next stud dog when he grew up. Alas, it would seem that poor Rex isn't the right color... :confused:

"We acquired Rex in November of 2011. Rex was born on September 16th, 2011 and is half american and half english creme with champion bloodlines from Russia.
Rex attended the AKC Star Puppy course. He is great with the other dogs and kids. He has a very sweet personality and just wants to please his people. He is also very beautiful. We are only placing him because we have decided to stick to breeding red goldens and not venturing into the english cremes."

How sad.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said but I would like to hear what the OP says as response...

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts