Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber ate an AA battery on Christmas eve. My granddaughter was changing the batteries in her camera and dropped one. Amber must have thought it was a treat. She caught it and it was gone. She didn't even chew it. I have been checking her carefully, but she has had no ill effects so far. I have probed her stomach to see if she has any tenderness and she hasn't. She is as active as ever. How long should it take to pass through her system? I haven't found any trace of it yet [three plus days].
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,425 Posts
You need to call the vet, there may be serious problems with her swallowing a battery. I don't know but I would call a vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I would have instantly give her hydrogenperoxide but not it is most likely in her intestines- hopefully not lodged. Normally food passes in about 24 hours (something go right through others take a little longer). 3 days worries me! Sorry but sounds like vet time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,267 Posts
Penny once ate a liver sausage wrapper. It stayed in her tummy for a week and then vomited up. I don't think you should make her vomit unless the vet tells you to. I would worry about a battery being in there that long. Call the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
I was sure that Cookie ate a battery last summer, so I called the vet. They had me bring her right in since they can get burned if the battery leaks (especially likely if it was chewed a little first). X rays showed that she didn't eat the battery at all, but just hid it on us as I found it the next day. Better safe than sorry though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information on Pet Finder. She may have passed it already. The kids took her [and their own dogs] for several long walks while they were here, and they ran free in the country on two walks. If the battery was encased in feces, we may not have seen it. She doesn'g have any of the symptoms described in the article and is just as good an eater and just as active as ever. I'll post what I find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
My friend thought her Rottie ate a battery this Christmas too... Her vet told her to check his mouth to make sure there were no burns on his cheeks/gums. Once she verified there weren't (would have been if he chewed the battery?), he told her to give canned spinach, watch for the battery to pass, and watch him closely for anything abnormal. Seems consistent with the link that Noey posted. I personally would probably call the vet, but I'm a usually a worry wart. Keep us posted and good luck!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top