Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone out there. Writing from the SF Bay Area. My family recently lost our 12 year old Golden, Maizy. She was a beloved, calm, and loving family member and there is a void in our house.

Because we grew attached to Maizy's aesthetic appearance (very light in color, fairly broad head), we are looking for an English Golden with similar appearance: light to white and blocky head.

The market is, to say the least, frightening. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for reputable breeders in California, preferably Northern California.

A picture of our sweet May is attached, with the beginning of a cancer on her nose...

Thank you, Theo

Attachments

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
She is beautiful. I'm sorry for your loss.
I am not really familiar w California breeders of light Goldens but someone here will be!
And if you find any you want someone to look at, just post their registered names or the website if it is there and we'll check for you on clearances.
If you can move this to the 'looking for a Golden puppy/breeder' thread, you will get more attention.

·
Kristy
9,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum Theo, I'm so sorry for your loss. Maizy looks like quite a sweetheart, her absence must be a hole in your home.

I am going to encourage you to expand your search outside Northern California if you are any kind of a timeframe for a puppy. Finding a reputable breeder of lighter colored Goldens is going to be difficult, as there seem to be a great majority of people trying to breed puppies for money to feed the fad of super light dogs. I hope you will take the word "white" completely out of your search term. There is not a reputable hobby breeder of Golden Retrievers on this planet who you will find using the word "white" to describe his or her own dogs. I encourage you to read the standards for the breed on the pages for both the Canadiana and U.S. Golden Retriever Clubs. They will not mention white, they will mention light gold in the U.S. https://www.grca.org/ and light gold or cream under the Canadian standard English Cream Golden Retrievers ? Golden Retriever Club of Canada.

I have flown twice for a puppy and it is not difficult to do at all. An 8 week old puppy will fit in a carrier under the seat in front of you. Looking around, I hope you will not make color the most important criteria. The problem is that although many reputable breeders may have a personal preference for a shade they will never base a breeding decision on it. There are way too many far more important traits to focus on.

Here is the list for Canada, it is typically easier to find lighter dogs there: Breeders List ? Golden Retriever Club of Canada

Here is a list to try:English Goldens in North America - Breeders

If you find a litter, people here can help you verify clearances if you have the registered names of the parents. I encourage you to read our boards here to learn as much as possible about health clearances and what makes a "reputable breeder". The more educated you are on the subject, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of by a less than ethical person. The last thing you want to do is support someone who is simply breeding puppies to make money with no concern for the well being of the dogs.

I think you may find if you look around that there are plenty of conformation/show breeders with light colored dogs who have a stockier build if you'll look around and be flexible on coat color. Besides health clearances, a sign of a good breeder is that they compete with their dogs in a venue like obedience or hunt tests. If they don't have a litter planned, ask for references for a breeder they respect. Here are some ideas:

History ? Chuckanut Retrievers

Mattiaci Golden Retrievers of Montana

https://www.grca.org/find-a-golden/...grca-regional-puppy-referral-representatives/

·
Kristy
9,683 Posts
Here is a forum member who has a small litter of puppies, if you look the puppies are different shades. Read through and take a look: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...ar/440634-ziva-had-babies-10.html#post6965369

They will all grow up to be wonderful dogs. You might be surprised at how much you might enjoy having a different shade of Gold. There will never be another Maizy, no way to make that happen. I have always loved the darker dogs but have a dog not who is more light to medium and she has my heart like no other. Just something to think about.

·
Kristy
9,683 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I can't think of any reputable "English" breeders on the west coast. I know plenty of unethical ones though. They seem to run the Northern Cal market but only breed for color. There are many breeders with lighter colored dogs in the Portland area that are performing health clearances, but they are not defined by country. You could contact the breeder referral for PRGRCO. That's the only club for Oregon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts