Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the vet for Woody's annual health check. All looks good but he did say Woody could lose 3 to 5 lbs. What's interesting is the label on his bag of kibble, Natural Balance, recommends feeding a sixty to seventy pound dog 4 & 3/4 cups a day. I was giving him 3 cups a day, 1&1/2 in the morning and 1&1/2 in the evening but I recently cut him back to 2 & 1/2 cups a day.

Woody is four years old and weighted 72 lbs this last visit.

My vet said the dog food companies were required to put a certain amount on the package which was generally far more than they needed.

Have any of you found this to be true?

Pete

·
Registered
506 Posts
The bags have feeding guildlines based on calories. As we have learned with 'people food', quality of ingredients matter too. That is why we often tell folks that their dog could eat less. Activity, age, and number of times a day you feed all factor in to how much a dog needs to consume to keep a healthy weight. Woody sounds right to me. My 6 yr old MaggieMae is around 70 lbs too. She is tall and skinny....just like her pack leader.....heehee

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I feel like a lot of food companies list far more than they should! Then again, they're trying to sell more food for larger profits. Pet obesity is such a problem and I wish they'd rethink their recommendations. I feed more when the dogs have been more active, but usually never as much as the bag specifies!

·
Premium Member
18,405 Posts
Absolutely, they put way more in the label because that means you buy more. Never go by what's on the bag.

If Woody acts like he's still hungry you can add unsalted green beans to his portion so he feels more full.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
3 cups is what I feed Hank (2 y.o. & 70lbs). But every dog and every food is different.
Does Woody get treats or Kongs? Maybe cut back there rather than his meals so he doesn't feel hungry.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like a lot of food companies list far more than they should! Then again, they're trying to sell more food for larger profits. Pet obesity is such a problem and I wish they'd rethink their recommendations. I feed more when the dogs have been more active, but usually never as much as the bag specifies!
My vet indicated that the food companies were required by law to list these excessive amounts? It's a shame with pet obesity being what it is today.

Absolutely, they put way more in the label because that means you buy more. Never go by what's on the bag.

If Woody acts like he's still hungry you can add unsalted green beans to his portion so he feels more full.
Woody LOVES FOOD and I'm sure if he could talk he'd be begging for more...he tries to supplement by eating goose poop...green beans sound much better ;)

3 cups is what I feed Hank (2 y.o. & 70lbs). But every dog and every food is different.
Does Woody get treats or Kongs? Maybe cut back there rather than his meals so he doesn't feel hungry.
When I'm working with him I cut back a bit on his regular meals and use treats for training.

I'm really not worried about Woody gaining weight as I'm pretty careful about what he gets to eat and also make sure he gets plenty of exercise. I just can't believe the better higher end food companies aren't a bit more responsible about the quantities they recommend. :confused:

Pete

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
As Lola's Mom, I almost feel guilty for how little I seem to feed her in two meals a day--- and she STILL weighs about 5 pounds MORE than she should. I try to give her daily exercise as much as I can. She gets NO treats other than one raw carrot and no junk AT ALL. NO grains - mostly just raw and vegetables. Are Goldens just a thicker heavier dog than most?? I use to have Irish Setters and they were all so lean.:confused:

·
Premium Member
18,405 Posts
As Lola's Mom, I almost feel guilty for how little I seem to feed her in two meals a day--- and she STILL weighs about 5 pounds MORE than she should. I try to give her daily exercise as much as I can. She gets NO treats other than one raw carrot and no junk AT ALL. NO grains - mostly just raw and vegetables. Are Goldens just a thicker heavier dog than most?? I use to have Irish Setters and they were all so lean.:confused:
Goldens should not be overweight, although they are more solid framed than a Setter, and Goldens can gain weight fast. Have you had her thyroid level tested? That can be one reason for gaining or inability to lose weight, but usually there are other symptoms like lethargy, poor coat quality, etc.

Take a look at the calories per cup in the food you are feeding her, you could probably find a different food that has fewer calories per cup and that way you could feed her more volume without increasing calories, if you really feel like the total amount in the bowl is not much.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Goldens should not be overweight, although they are more solid framed than a Setter, and Goldens can gain weight fast. Have you had her thyroid level tested? That can be one reason for gaining or inability to lose weight, but usually there are other symptoms like lethargy, poor coat quality, etc.

Take a look at the calories per cup in the food you are feeding her, you could probably find a different food that has fewer calories per cup and that way you could feed her more volume without increasing calories, if you really feel like the total amount in the bowl is not much.

All great ideas. Thank-you:) Lola is 16 months old and I really do not think it is thyroid. She has tons of energy and a beautiful shiny coat. I may be giving her more of the raw meat than I should as I know that is more concentrated energy. I buy the 5 pound chubs of Bravo that come frozen and I thaw. I also think that she could play and run for hours a day--- but I just can not seem to give her all the play time she needs.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Natural Balance

We feed Natural Balance Potato and Duck kibble for Amber, 7 mos. and 55 lbs. in the amount of 3 1/2 cups a day over two meals, morning and evening. She gets 2 small NB D&P bones at lunch. She is at a good weight. :wavey:

·
Registered
397 Posts
my female is 1 year 4 months old and weighs 53 lbs. the vet said she could lose about 1-2 lbs. if i were to feed her along the dog food guidelines it says to give her 3 1/2-3 3/4 cups per day, which i think is a bit too much. she eats 1 1/2 cups in the morning and about 1 cup in the evening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts