Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Recommended Dog Garments (I’ll Go First) - Anyone Else Want to Share?

1437 Views 40 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Ontariodogsitter
Hi, gang -

I’ve tried several brands of dog coats for inclement weather and I’m sharing the ones that I really like, in case helpful for anyone. Please share any ones that you like as well.

It’s been a mild winter in southeastern Pennsylvania this year, but it isn’t always, so I wanted to be ready with a few garments of different weight and variety. I skew to the “horse blanket” style because I like that the front doesn’t come undone (LL Bean coats I would not recommend, the velcro doesn’t stay closed, at least not on my confident, active girl). I also like the adjustability of the surcingles. And overall I just like the look.

For anyone else looking for coats, here are my top picks:

1. Snuggler Dog Jacket from True Fit Dog Coats
Why I love it: just a nice option for when it’s a borderline day, like it might be 40 or a bit higher, but with the wind chill it “feels like” 30s. I like to throw this on Bitsy. I wash and dry it, it holds up wonderfully. I also love this company for being U.S. based, and real people help you if you need it. I ordered two coats before Christmas (but not FOR Christmas) and they hustled them to me so quickly. I was really grateful. Bitsy is about 55 lbs. The coat in Blackwatch is 24 and a little roomy. The coat in Houndstooth is a 22 and a better fit. (She is getting into the car on a mounting block I used to use when I rode horses).

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Wood Carnivore

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

2. Plaid Turnout Dog Coat, also from True Fit.
For really cold days, has a thick lining. Looks like it won’t even snow here this year, but we hope to get use out of this one in future winters.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore People in nature Grass

3. Clancy Oilskin Canine Coat, from Outback Trading Company. This is our pick for rainy days. Bitsy does not have a care in the world about weather. On rainy days she’s like, “What’s your problem? Let’s go!” We go, but I do like her in a garment.

Dog Plant Leaf Dog breed Carnivore

4. Channel Quilted Dog Coat from Schneiders/State Line Tack. Picked this one up, very budget-friendly. She wore it today on our Big Walk. Nice little coat. There is no tailoring/contouring to the shape of the garment down the top line/spine like there is on the True Fit coats, but this is a nice option. Some reviewers said it snags. We didn’t put it through any snag risk, but I could see that if you were in certain terrain. This one is a bit big. I just didn’t think the next size down would work. I’d rather a bit big than a bit small.

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Sky

In most of these pics, Bitsy and I are on our Big Scent Walk that we do daily. We do this on a long-line, she is typically wearing a 2-Hounds harness underneath her garments. The top of the 2-Hounds harness pokes out to enable attachment right where the back of the neck of the garment starts; it works nicely.

Would love to learn what others like as it relates to garments or other wearable accessories. And, yes, Bitsy is available for a modeling contract if anyone is interested in hiring her. 😉
See less
Hi, gang -

I’ve tried several brands of dog coats for inclement weather and I’m sharing the ones that I really like, in case helpful for anyone. Please share any ones that you like as well.

It’s been a mild winter in southeastern Pennsylvania this year, but it isn’t always, so I wanted to be ready with a few garments of different weight and variety. I skew to the “horse blanket” style because I like that the front doesn’t come undone (LL Bean coats I would not recommend, the velcro doesn’t...
See more
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
2,114 Posts
I'm in northcentral WV, so nearish you and similar weather. My golden would absolutely murder me if I ever tried to make her wear a coat. But your girl is adorable!

· Registered
Lucy
138 Posts
Thank you so much for the stellar overview of each recommendation and the photos. Bitsy's modeling made them so useful too.
Bitsy really should be contracted for modeling work. She rocks the all-weather fashions!

I like this quote the best!
On rainy days she’s like, “What’s your problem? Let’s go!” We go, but I do like her in a garment.
Lucy only has 3 jackets (poor Lucy). The latest is good quality but too big. Apparently my dog is in-between sizes. I wouldn't recommend it because I am not sure "how it is supposed to look". Maybe I will take a picture of her in it just to make you guys laugh. I was going to alter it -- but now -- I have good advice to just buy one of Bitsy's recommendations! TY

· Registered
3,810 Posts
I would tag @SRW here. I would bet he has many different matching coats and socks for his dogs to match him too .
I saw this thread earlier and moved on.

Mid 20s, 3 inches of snow on the ground and flurries all day. Just getting home from training. Jake and Lily were naked all day.

· Registered
Legally Blonde
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you for the compliments on my aspiring dog model. We’d like to get a contract so I never have to work again, please. 😂

Though she has many garments, I do allow her to be naked most of the time. I wouldn’t hesitate to let her be naked in snow, snow is fun. 30 mph winds and driving rain are not fun, and we go out every day, no mater what. We’ve had nothing but crap weather here for weeks. Totally serious, I don’t remember the last time I saw the sun. Some of my friends and I deal with the blues in winter months, they just go on and on. It’s been great to have Bitsy because I get out there every day and move around, which helps!

Seriously though on the topic of garments: I read that goldens are meant for climates between 40F and about 80F and outside of that window they can become uncomfortable and caution should be exercised. Or course we all know about the dangers of heat. And obviously dogs have survived for hundreds and hundreds of years without garments, but I like to apply one when wind chills belie the listed temp. This is a holdover from having horses - sure, they can be naked (if they aren’t clipped) but they can also be more comfortable in certain weather with garments.

Another benefit: I also like to apply one when I think she may take a dive in poop. The other day she picked up some sort of excrement and promptly dropped it (good girl), then decided that it was not delicious to eat, but perfect to roll in (ugh). I much prefer washing the garment vs. the dog!

ETA this link that expresses my love of garments - have a great day, everyone! 😂

Gemini Vegetarians

· Registered
2,632 Posts
They really don't need coats. Mine don't even have one. I do have two seniors that wear them. They aren't goldens and have very short fur.

· Registered
14,269 Posts
I read that goldens are meant for climates between 40F and about 80F and outside of that window they can become uncomfortable and caution should be exercised.
I had to do the conversion to Celsius... 40F is 4 degrees Celsius. Trust me, Goldens are fine with no coat in temps WAY colder than that. They do live in northern climates, too, after all. Most of the winter is colder than that in many places.

It can feel as cold as -30C here on occasion (-22F), and definitely -15 to -20C (5F to -5F). That's a cold snap here, but my dog will still roll in the snow at those temps. It feels like -9C today - and since we got a bit of snow yesterday, too, she will have a blast in it. No coat necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sankari

· Registered
2,114 Posts
t

Seriously though on the topic of garments: I read that goldens are meant for climates between 40F and about 80F and outside of that window they can become uncomfortable and caution should be exercised. Or course we all know about the dangers of heat. And obviously dogs have survived for hundreds and hundreds of years without garments, but I like to apply one when wind chills belie the listed temp. This is a holdover from having horses - sure, they can be naked (if they aren’t clipped) but they can also be more comfortable in certain weather with garments.
I will say, I have never met a golden who didn't hate the heat and love the snow. Over Christmas, we had some really cold temps, below 0 for several days. Every chance she got, Juneau was asking to go outside. SinceI know that those temps can be dangerous for dogs, I limited her time. But she would have happily stayed out there, not realizing she was giving herself frostbite. Now, during regular winter weather for our area, upper 20s to 30s, and usually some snow, she will lay out in the yard as long as I allow, which if I'm home, I'll let her do it as long as she wants. We go play in it, but when I"m ready to go back inside, she will stay out. She'll come to the door every once in awhile and check in, and then when I open it to see if she wants to come in, she runs back to the snow. Summer is a whole different story. She avoids the sun, lays in the shade, and is happy to come in after about 20 minutes of playing and lay on top of the air vent.

· Registered
2,844 Posts
Hallie doesn’t have any clothes, but she definitely appreciates a good blanket. It’s funny to me because the lab we had previously preferred to lay on cool tile. Hallie usually just lays on top of the blankets, but occasionally my daughter covers her up and she’ll stay under. View attachment 899600
View attachment 899599 View attachment 899598
My daughter made a blanket for my wife for Christmas......I'm not sure who's been getting the most use out of it so far.....
Dog Couch Comfort Carnivore Dog breed
Brown Furniture Comfort Dog Wood

· Registered
1,304 Posts
Addy has a "raincoat" which was too short from the start,
got it mainly for the color and the fact we walk in every weather on a road shoulder of a country rd, it protects her back from being soaked to the skin and hit makes us more visible in snow storms and fog.
Didn't think I was going to use it past puppyhood, but it may be time to look for another one, preferably longer, but still orange...
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

· Registered
2,844 Posts
Addy has a "raincoat" which was too short from the start,
got it mainly for the color and the fact we walk in every weather on a road shoulder of a country rd, it protects her back from being soaked to the skin and hit makes us more visible in snow storms and fog.
Didn't think I was going to use it past puppyhood, but it may be time to look for another one, preferably longer, but still orange...
View attachment 899605
The look on her face says "I can't believe you're taking me out in public dressed like this....." to me. It might be time to shop for a bigger size. Can't beat orange for visibility......

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
801 Posts
I had to do the conversion to Celsius... 40F is 4 degrees Celsius. Trust me, Goldens are fine with no coat in temps WAY colder than that. They do live in northern climates, too, after all. Most of the winter is colder than that in many places.

It can feel as cold as -30C here on occasion (-22F), and definitely -15 to -20C (5F to -5F). That's a cold snap here, but my dog will still roll in the snow at those temps. It feels like -9C today - and since we got a bit of snow yesterday, too, she will have a blast in it. No coat necessary.
I didn't realize Canada didn't follow the US and uses the metric system! I brought Ramses to the Arctic (Svalbard) as a puppy roughly 5 months old and also later when he was 2 years old. And he didn't have any problems with the temperature both times (which is incredibly chilly). I was a bit more cautious when he was a puppy but he never really seemed to mind. My only problem was him coming back inside - because the snow and ice was too much fun. The fact that the Huskies were always out there too and him wanting to do everything they did might have been a factor too. Mine personally despises the heat and summer temperatures...

My daughter made a blanket for my wife for Christmas......I'm not sure who's been getting the most use out of it so far.....
That's so sweet of your daughter - beautiful blanket 😊 You know these Goldens couldn't pass up on something beautiful and comfortable! 😂

1 - 20 of 41 Posts