Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for some kind of chews for Dixie. Although she loves them, she can't have rawhide because they upset her digestive system; watery stools, gas, and sometimes vomiting a day later. I do brush her teeth regularly and she gets excited for brushing time, but I've noticed some buildup on her back teeth. Not much but enough.
Can anyone recommend some safe chews? I've heard bad things about Greenies, and mixed reviews about DentaStix.

Thank!

-Yope

·
Abby and Chewie's Mom
130 Posts
Our vet prescribed some rawhide chews that had an enzyme in them that helped to break down the tartar on Abby's back teeth. I thought it was gimmicky and a way for the vet to make more money, but they actually worked.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine have antler chews and hooves, and they are available all the time. The antlers can last 6 mths or longer, depending on how often they chew them. The hooves last about 2 weeks, but at 79 cents each, they can have as many as they want.

·
Dad to Bogey and Reese
1,119 Posts
All depends on how aggressively your dog chews. We use nylabones in the house and have a few large beef thigh bones in the back yard. My boys are not aggressive enough chewers I worry about the bones fragmenting or breaking teeth.

The only chew toy Bogey ever wants, is the one that Reese seems to be enjoying at the time!

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Antlers have worked well.

I just picked up a pack of two frozen, raw marrow bones in the meat dept. at the local grocery store. Those work great too, but make sure they're large with thick walls. She's in her crate right now stripping the meat off of one of them.

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
I was giving mine antlers until both of them broke a front tooth with it. Since then, I give them nylabones and from time to time, they either get a bullystick or a chew-a-lot milk bone (which lasts about 45 mins for Milo and about 2 weeks for Elle)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Antlers, Nylone bones, and Kongs are a daily chew for mine. I will give them a bully stick maybe once a week. They also get raw bones.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fannin had similar digestive issues with beef bully sticks. Someone recommended buffalo lollipops (http://www.caninecaviar.com/product/buffalo-lollipops/) as an alternative and it has worked out very well! He has had zero digestive issues. I was told it is probably because buffalo is leaner than other proteins...

Depending on the size and how tired he is it can last him 30 minutes to an hour. I usually only give him one every two or three days. They are special treats.

He also has access at all times to deer antlers (he has never been fond of the elk ones for some reason) and knuckle bones .

·
Oatmeal's Mommy
109 Posts
Can someone update me on why Greenies are bad? My boy loves his Greenies after his dinner...

I also have an antler that he loves...but it seems that he is a super chewer as his antlers usually dont last more than a month!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts