Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking to have PennHIP testing on Kona. Unfortunately, it seems that veterinary clinic websites are not reliable indicators (i.e., the website says "PennHIP", but the vet says "nope"). Does anyone have recommendations for a vet in the San Diego locale that does PennHIP?

We are looking to combine the PennHIP with spay, since my understanding is that both require general anesthesia. I'm guessing that "under once" is better than "under twice".

Thanks!

p.s. As an FYI, we have always planned on spaying Kona sometime after (a) 1 year, and (b) her first heat. She just turned 1yr last week, and it seems she's started her first heat. So...

p.p.s. As an oh-by-the-way, I found this site, hosted by a group that seems quite prominent in the PennHIP arena, that enables one to look up PennHIP providers in a geo-locale.

p.p.p.s. Am I overly critical in being dismayed at the number of veterinary clinics I am calling that don't even know what PennHIP is, even though their clinic lists it on their website?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Why PennHip and not OFA? My Lana just got her elbows and hips OFA certified but we drove to Newport Beach for them (It's like a 2 hour drive from San Diego) because the tech at that clinic comes highly recommended due to her exceptional positioning skills. She wasn't chemically restrained at all and it was over in about 20 minutes. Cost us $270 for both hips and elbows (plus the $40 OFA submission fee) and the gas to go to-and-from

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why PennHip and not OFA? My Lana just got her elbows and hips OFA certified but we drove to Newport Beach for them (It's like a 2 hour drive from San Diego) because the tech at that clinic comes highly recommended due to her exceptional positioning skills. She wasn't chemically restrained at all and it was over in about 20 minutes. Cost us $270 for both hips and elbows (plus the $40 OFA submission fee) and the gas to go to-and-from
Two reasons I am asking for PennHIP vice OFA...

#1 - Kona is too young (just turned 1yr) for OFAs
#2 - As an experiment, I want to compare PennHIP results with future OFA results.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Two reasons I am asking for PennHIP vice OFA...

#1 - Kona is too young (just turned 1yr) for OFAs
#2 - As an experiment, I want to compare PennHIP results with future OFA results.
If you are comparing the ratings, it would make more sense to do the PennHip after 2 years old, because if I recall correctly, PennHipp is the same as the OFA hips, only they take 2 extra images. Have you tried the VCA Specialty Clinic in Kearny Mesa?

5610 Kearny Mesa Rd., Suite B
San Diego, CA 92111
Main: 858-560-8006

They were one of the places we got a second opinion from when doing an orthopedic surgery on my bridge boy so they should know how to do it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are comparing the ratings, it would make more sense to do the PennHip after 2 years old, because if I recall correctly, PennHipp is the same as the OFA hips, only they take 2 extra images. Have you tried the VCA Specialty Clinic in Kearny Mesa?
PennHIP claims that it is possible to make the assessment quite a bit younger than OFA. That's part of what I'm interested in checking, as well as the direct comparison. It's really quite unnecessary, but it's piqued my interest.

I'll check with that clinic. Right now, my main issue is finding a place that will do both the spay and PennHIP at the same time. Otherwise, we'd use Kona's primary veterinarian for her spay.

Grazi...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts